Re: [PanoToolsNG] The HTML5 boom is coming. Fast.

  • Isaac Garcia
    Message 1 of 55 , Jul 24, 2011
      [Note: this was intended to be first reply, but I got caught with other
      things to do...]

      First off, let me begin by saying that this is in no way directed at you,
      Ayrton (don´t want this "rant" to be taken the wrong way), but mostly to the
      clueless writer of the article and their kind.

      Having said that, I just have to get this off my chest... HTML5 is HYPE.

      Now, I´m not saying that it is not good or that I´m not happy that it´s
      coming out in any way, but apart from some minor changes and some important
      new features (canvas and video come to mind), HTML5 is just basically plain
      good ol´ HTML. The real magic is mostly done via CSS3.

      Besides, like most of Apple´s "HTML5 demos" "HTML5 panos" are mostly a lie.
      First, like I said, most the magic is done via CSS3, and second, not even
      Chrome displays them quite right yet. Third, if HTML5 is scheduled to become
      a standard in 2020... I find the idia of calling it a standard NOW a bit
      wishful thinking.

      So for now, HTML5 panos are far from "standards compliant" and have a rather
      restrictive audience. Which is not to say it´s not good to be able to
      display panos on iDevices, it is to say that it is actually going BACKWARDS
      and away from standards and the "code once, see everywhere" philosophy to
      have to make a special version of *anything* for specific browser/device.
      It´s not just "up the same alley" but actually the same alley as having to
      cater to older IE versions.

      And don´t forget, and this is the crucial part, that we who make "web
      related" stuff, wether it be "regular" websites or virtual tours, we ALWAYS
      have to cater to the lowest common denominator, AKA "the weakest" link"
      (yes, IE, I am looking at you). And I don´t know about you, but in my case
      this is mostly an imposition from clients, not by choice.

      So, while I dream of doing cool things on websites and forget about it
      because I know they work on all browsers the truth is that reality is far
      from today.

      And as much as the "handheld era" is coming (with better browsers), we still
      have a loooong wait till the desktop scene catches up/fades out.

      I´d also like to add a huge "+1" to Trausti´s reply.

      Cheers.

      On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 4:21 AM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:

      > Guys
      > take a look, if you're interested on our panos be seen by more visitors,
      > prospects, clients, art directors, marketing directors, etc ...
      >
      > <http://gigaom.com/2011/07/22/the-html5-boom-is-coming-fast/>
      >
      > best regards

      > + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
      > + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP