JXR (JPEG XR)

  • blueslander
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 20, 2011
      Does anyone know where to find a JXR plugin for Photoshop CS5?

      I have spent about one hour searching, with absolutely no results. JXR format has been validated as a standard, but that doesn't matter much when there are no tools available to convert images to or from that format.

      I have come across a couple of mentions of there being a JXR plugin for PS CS5, but no links or hints as to where to find those.

      Trausti
    • cvoneinem
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 21, 2011
        Hi Trausti,

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "blueslander" wrote:

        > Does anyone know where to find a JXR plugin for Photoshop CS5?
        > I have spent about one hour searching, with absolutely no
        > results. JXR format has been validated as a standard, but
        > that doesn't matter much when there are no tools available to
        > convert images to or from that format.
        > I have come across a couple of mentions of there being a JXR
        > plugin for PS CS5, but no links or hints as to where to find
        > those.

        Since it is a "Microsoft standard" (whatever that is...) you'd have to ask them. Wikipedia however links to this blog posting:
        <http://blogs.msdn.com/b/billcrow/archive/2007/12/06/hd-photo-plug-ins-for-photoshop-are-released.aspx>. So "HD Photo" is the keyword you have to search for, it's obviously one of the former project titles.

        Do you want to publish images in JXR? MS IE 9 seems to be the only browser (yet) that is able to display it. Maybe others are reluctant to use their patented software even if MS promises not to do something nasty...

        Carl
      • John Houghton
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 21, 2011
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "cvoneinem" <einem@...> wrote:

          > Wikipedia however links to this blog posting:
          > <http://blogs.msdn.com/b/billcrow/archive/2007/12/06/hd-photo-plug-ins-for-photoshop-are-released.aspx>. So "HD Photo" is the keyword you have to search for, it's obviously one of the former project titles.

          The HDPhoto plugin v1.0 plugin is no longer available from Microsoft.
          I downloaded it from http://tinyurl.com/3ozvp2z . It dates from 2007 and is for CS2/CS3; a manual install is necessary for CS5. It works only for the 32bit version, not 64bit, and it enables reading and writing of .wdp files. I think these possibly became .jxr files later on.

          John
        • Trausti Hraunfjord
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 21, 2011
            Thanks Carl and John.

            The jxr has been accepted as a standard and the format was ... as I
            understand it... finally finished off in October last year. It is supported
            in Flash 11, and should give us the ability to use high quality images
            without much or any loss of quality. Compression can be as good as 31:1
            ... so that a .tif image that is 130 mb in size, would only fill a little
            more than 4 mb when converted to .jxr. Those are the claims... I need to
            see if it is true or not. I suspect that with a compression of 31:1, it
            would be far from the lossless result, but ... need to get it tested before
            knowing for sure.

            Thanks again.

            Trausti

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 21, 2011
              Am 21.07.2011 16:41, schrieb Trausti Hraunfjord:
              > It is supported
              > in Flash 11, and should give us the ability to use high quality images
              > without much or any loss of quality.

              I think the biggest benefit will be the larger maximum size - all
              300,000 photoshop pixels can be saved...