make a little money shooting panoramas on your iPhone

  • Matt Uyttendaele
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 19, 2011
      The Bing Maps team announced today that they are paying people to capture interior panoramas of tens of thousands of businesses in 8 US cities. The work is being coordinated by Gigwalk (a sort of mechanical turk for smart phone users). Details here ...

      http://blogs.msdn.com/b/photosynth/archive/2011/07/19/get-paid-to-shoot-mobile-photosynths.aspx
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 19, 2011
        4-7 dollars per shoot?!
        Wow sign me up!!!

        Sacha Griffin
        http://www.seeit360.net
        http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
        http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/
        IM: sachagriffin007@...
        Office: 404-551-4275
        GV: 404-665-9990

        On Jul 19, 2011, at 10:39 PM, "Matt Uyttendaele" <matt@...>
        wrote:

        The Bing Maps team announced today that they are paying people to capture
        interior panoramas of tens of thousands of businesses in 8 US cities. The
        work is being coordinated by Gigwalk (a sort of mechanical turk for smart
        phone users). Details here ...

        http://blogs.msdn.com/b/photosynth/archive/2011/07/19/get-paid-to-shoot-mobile-photosynths.aspx

      • mrjimbo
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 19, 2011
          Sacha,
          I've been watching this type of ..what should I call it...... behavior for
          the past several years.. For me it's kinda tough to understand.. It's like
          their is a lowering of the standards going on and it's huge.. The worst part
          is that a large segment of society is saying it's good enough. The truth is
          their are those that will try to do 4/5 of these an hour and make a few
          bucks.. and they'll be happier then a clam to do that.. What's weird for me
          to watch is that I can get that technology has really bumped up.. but as far
          as expectations go they seem to have really slid.. I mean I know that many
          still have high standards .. but it seems that so many have lost sight of
          quality and what it represents to a society.. so here we are..

          jimbo
          > The Bing Maps team announced today that they are paying people to capture
          > interior panoramas of tens of thousands of businesses in 8 US cities. The
          > work is being coordinated by Gigwalk (a sort of mechanical turk for smart
          > phone users). Details here ...
          >
          > http://blogs.msdn.com/b/photosynth/archive/2011/07/19/get-paid-to-shoot-mobile-photosynths.aspx

        • Ken Warner
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 19, 2011
            ...so here we are... and there they are... the great unwashed,
            uncaring, unaware masses.....

            mrjimbo wrote:
            > Sacha,
            > I've been watching this type of ..what should I call it...... behavior for
            > the past several years.. For me it's kinda tough to understand.. It's like
            > their is a lowering of the standards going on and it's huge.. The worst part
            > is that a large segment of society is saying it's good enough. The truth is
            > their are those that will try to do 4/5 of these an hour and make a few
            > bucks.. and they'll be happier then a clam to do that.. What's weird for me
            > to watch is that I can get that technology has really bumped up.. but as far
            > as expectations go they seem to have really slid.. I mean I know that many
            > still have high standards .. but it seems that so many have lost sight of
            > quality and what it represents to a society.. so here we are..
            >
            > jimbo

          • Yazan Sboul
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 20, 2011
              >...so here we are... and there they are... the great unwashed,>uncaring, unaware masses.....

              Lol, The fact is that whether we like it or not, there may be no significant market for professional photography in panoramas. In the same sense that there is no significant market for original art work in starbucks. What I mean is that chain restaurants and cafes like starbucks do need art on the wall but cheap prints will suffice, and it would be madness to suggest otherwise. So to conclude there may be no real or significant market for the "intersection" of professional photography and interactive images in the mass market. It shouldn't really be that surprising.
              That shouldn't change anything for panoramic photographers, I think its a vital and vibrant part of the photography field. But I think its clear that it should constitute part of a photography business rather than a niche skill set.

              To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
              From: kwarner000@...
              Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 21:33:39 -0700
              Subject: Re: [PanoToolsNG] make a little money shooting panoramas on your iPhone

              mrjimbo wrote:

              > Sacha,

              > I've been watching this type of ..what should I call it...... behavior for

              > the past several years.. For me it's kinda tough to understand.. It's like

              > their is a lowering of the standards going on and it's huge.. The worst part

              > is that a large segment of society is saying it's good enough. The truth is

              > their are those that will try to do 4/5 of these an hour and make a few

              > bucks.. and they'll be happier then a clam to do that.. What's weird for me

              > to watch is that I can get that technology has really bumped up.. but as far

              > as expectations go they seem to have really slid.. I mean I know that many

              > still have high standards .. but it seems that so many have lost sight of

              > quality and what it represents to a society.. so here we are..

              > jimbo

            • Rodolpho Pajuaba
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 20, 2011
                This has been my approach since, like, 2 or 3 years ago; I don't see
                panoramas as a "special skill", except for the very specific ones, as
                for instance automotive. It's another option in my belt, and it's not
                one that I offer frequently - exactly because it has lost A LOT of the
                market value. My customers prefer the improvement of my conventional
                photography, when they need panos they'd rather find a cheap newcomer.
                It's ok for me.

                2011/7/20 Yazan Sboul <yazansboul@...>:

                >>...so here we are... and there they are... the great unwashed,>uncaring, unaware masses.....
                >
                > Lol, The fact is that whether we like it or not, there may be no significant market for professional photography in panoramas. In the same sense that there is no significant market for original art work in starbucks. What I mean is that chain restaurants and cafes like starbucks do need art on the wall but cheap prints will suffice, and it would be madness to suggest otherwise. So to conclude there may be no real or significant market for the "intersection" of professional photography and interactive images in the mass market. It shouldn't really be that surprising.
                > That shouldn't change anything for panoramic photographers, I think its a vital and vibrant part of the photography field. But I think its clear that it should constitute part of a photography business rather than a niche skill set.

                Regards,
                --
                Rodolpho Pajuaba
                www.pajuaba.com.br/heterose
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 20, 2011
                  You are correct and I understand and agree with it. Image requirements will
                  vary. What I was trying to point out is that is seems that it simply seems
                  that individual standards, expectations etc have slide to lower levels. So
                  to me I see that as a form of regression in society. One could say ignorance
                  but that's not what I'm seeing ..it's more like not caring or lower levels
                  of pride.. Probably way off topic here.. so sorry.. I do a lot of higher end
                  interior and architectural photography for advertizing and various uses. An
                  acquaintance just finished building a beautiful rental home in Montana.. The
                  construction was well over 325k in our slow economy here.. He had a local
                  amateur shooter do 15 images of it for him.. It cost him 10.00 per image
                  (150.00) and he's very proud of that . The guys spent 5 hours there
                  apparently plus what ever behind the computer.. The images are lifeless and
                  quite poor.. They are being used for magazine advertising , web, printed
                  handouts brochures etc. The home is beautiful but you really can't get the
                  essence from the images as they have no feel to them.. He just recently had
                  to hire a 15% broker to help him get the place rented.. (it rents for
                  2200.00 per week) .. The fact is the guy is frugal and that ok.. but he's
                  shooting himself in the foot as this portion in his effort is the week link
                  in the chain.as I see it. Photography has in many way become a commodity ,
                  largely due to the glut of digital DSLR's I think. Many still want quality
                  and that good ...so many just don't seem to know what it is.

                  jimbo

                  >>...so here we are... and there they are... the great unwashed,>uncaring,
                  >>unaware masses.....
                  >
                  > Lol, The fact is that whether we like it or not, there may be no
                  > significant market for professional photography in panoramas. In the same
                  > sense that there is no significant market for original art work in
                  > starbucks. What I mean is that chain restaurants and cafes like starbucks
                  > do need art on the wall but cheap prints will suffice, and it would be
                  > madness to suggest otherwise. So to conclude there may be no real or
                  > significant market for the "intersection" of professional photography and
                  > interactive images in the mass market. It shouldn't really be that
                  > surprising.
                  > That shouldn't change anything for panoramic photographers, I think its a
                  > vital and vibrant part of the photography field. But I think its clear
                  > that it should constitute part of a photography business rather than a
                  > niche skill set.
                  >
                  > To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: kwarner000@...
                  > Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 21:33:39 -0700
                  > Subject: Re: [PanoToolsNG] make a little money shooting panoramas on your
                  > iPhone

                  > ...so here we are... and there they are... the great unwashed,
                  >
                  > uncaring, unaware masses.....
                  >

                  > mrjimbo wrote:
                  >
                  >> Sacha,
                  >
                  >> I've been watching this type of ..what should I call it...... behavior
                  >> for
                  >
                  >> the past several years.. For me it's kinda tough to understand.. It's
                  >> like
                  >
                  >> their is a lowering of the standards going on and it's huge.. The worst
                  >> part
                  >
                  >> is that a large segment of society is saying it's good enough. The truth
                  >> is
                  >
                  >> their are those that will try to do 4/5 of these an hour and make a few
                  >
                  >> bucks.. and they'll be happier then a clam to do that.. What's weird for
                  >> me
                  >
                  >> to watch is that I can get that technology has really bumped up.. but as
                  >> far
                  >
                  >> as expectations go they seem to have really slid.. I mean I know that
                  >> many
                  >
                  >> still have high standards .. but it seems that so many have lost sight of
                  >
                  >> quality and what it represents to a society.. so here we are..
                  >

                  >> jimbo

                • Ken Warner
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 20, 2011
                    I agree. In the long run, the Bing thing will be good for panoramic photography
                    because more and more people will become aware of it and want it as it becomes
                    more main stream.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 20, 2011
                      This announcement represents one of several ways that businesses can get panorama interiors uploaded to Bing Maps. Like Ken, I hope that this raises the awareness of panoramic photography.

                      As pointed out on an earlier thread: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/49630 We do have a mechanism for you to upload high quality content. Hopefully some business owners will take advantage of this to commission higher quality work. Robert Harshman(http://photosynth.net/userprofilepage.aspx?user=image360) tried out the process. The business that he shot now has a very high quality interior panorama associated with it: http://binged.it/p0VD7t (click on the 'step inside' thumbnail).

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 20, 2011
                        Its a shame we can't upload to google maps as a third party. Its nice to be able to place client panos on Bing, but the user interface is terrible I guess its Ok for i-devices but otherwise its really quite clunky. Besides if its not on google maps, its not really very accessible.

                        To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                        From: matt@...
                        Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 17:11:34 +0000

                        This announcement represents one of several ways that businesses can get panorama interiors uploaded to Bing Maps. Like Ken, I hope that this raises the awareness of panoramic photography.

                        As pointed out on an earlier thread: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/49630 We do have a mechanism for you to upload high quality content. Hopefully some business owners will take advantage of this to commission higher quality work. Robert Harshman(http://photosynth.net/userprofilepage.aspx?user=image360) tried out the process. The business that he shot now has a very high quality interior panorama associated with it: http://binged.it/p0VD7t (click on the 'step inside' thumbnail).

                        > I agree. In the long run, the Bing thing will be good for panoramic photography

                        > because more and more people will become aware of it and want it as it becomes

                        > more main stream.

                        > Yazan Sboul wrote:

                        > >> ...so here we are... and there they are... the great unwashed,>uncaring, unaware masses.....

                        > > Lol, The fact is that whether we like it or not, there may be no significant market for professional photography in panoramas. In the same sense that there is no significant market for original art work in starbucks. What I mean is that chain restaurants and cafes like starbucks do need art on the wall but cheap prints will suffice, and it would be madness to suggest otherwise. So to conclude there may be no real or significant market for the "intersection" of professional photography and interactive images in the mass market. It shouldn't really be that surprising.

                        > > That shouldn't change anything for panoramic photographers, I think its a vital and vibrant part of the photography field. But I think its clear that it should constitute part of a photography business rather than a niche skill set.

                      • Matthew Rogers - 360Precision
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 20, 2011
                          Oh my, another system with backwards navigation, how awful.

                          Matt

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 20, 2011
                            I know. The mental density is way off the end of
                            the IQ Periodic Chart....

                            Matthew Rogers - 360Precision wrote:
                            > Oh my, another system with backwards navigation, how awful.
                            >
                            > Matt
                            >
                            > On 20 Jul 2011, at 18:11, Matt Uyttendaele wrote:
                            >

                            >> This announcement represents one of several ways that businesses can get panorama interiors uploaded to Bing Maps. Like Ken, I hope that this raises the awareness of panoramic photography.
                            >>
                            >> As pointed out on an earlier thread: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/49630 We do have a mechanism for you to upload high quality content. Hopefully some business owners will take advantage of this to commission higher quality work. Robert Harshman(http://photosynth.net/userprofilepage.aspx?user=image360) tried out the process. The business that he shot now has a very high quality interior panorama associated with it: http://binged.it/p0VD7t (click on the 'step inside' thumbnail).
                            >>
                            >> --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
                            >>> I agree. In the long run, the Bing thing will be good for panoramic photography
                            >>> because more and more people will become aware of it and want it as it becomes
                            >>> more main stream.

                          • AYRTON
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 20, 2011
                              On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Matt Uyttendaele <matt@...>wrote:

                              Matt
                              why the direction of the panos are turning to the wrong side ???

                              > This announcement represents one of several ways that businesses can get
                              > panorama interiors uploaded to Bing Maps. Like Ken, I hope that this raises
                              > the awareness of panoramic photography.
                              >
                              > As pointed out on an earlier thread:
                              > mechanism for you to upload high quality content. Hopefully some business
                              > owners will take advantage of this to commission higher quality work. Robert
                              > Harshman(http://photosynth.net/userprofilepage.aspx?user=image360) tried
                              > out the process. The business that he shot now has a very high quality
                              > interior panorama associated with it: http://binged.it/p0VD7t (click on
                              > the 'step inside' thumbnail).
                              >
                              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I agree. In the long run, the Bing thing will be good for panoramic
                              > photography
                              > > because more and more people will become aware of it and want it as it
                              > becomes
                              > > more main stream.

                              > unwashed,>uncaring, unaware masses.....
                              > > >
                              > > > Lol, The fact is that whether we like it or not, there may be no
                              > significant market for professional photography in panoramas. In the same
                              > sense that there is no significant market for original art work in
                              > starbucks. What I mean is that chain restaurants and cafes like starbucks do
                              > need art on the wall but cheap prints will suffice, and it would be madness
                              > to suggest otherwise. So to conclude there may be no real or significant
                              > market for the "intersection" of professional photography and interactive
                              > images in the mass market. It shouldn't really be that surprising.
                              > > > That shouldn't change anything for panoramic photographers, I think its
                              > a vital and vibrant part of the photography field. But I think its clear
                              > that it should constitute part of a photography business rather than a niche
                              > skill set.

                              + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                              + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                              http://ayrton360.com
                              twitter.com/ayrton360

                            • Matt Uyttendaele
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 20, 2011
                                I'm not sure why the business page doesn't show the navigation UI, I'll need to check.

                                On Robert's Photosynth page( http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=6bb9a17d-ff52-4c47-9cae-73471e78082f) you can change the navigation from grab and pan to rate control by selecting the second icon from the left along the bottom.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 20, 2011
                                  This comment is terrible I guess it's OK if I was a mind-reader, but otherwise its really quite clunky ;)

                                  It would be interesting to hear more details. These are very generic terms. What specifically about the UI is "terrible", "OK", and "clunky".

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 20, 2011
                                    >>This comment is terrible I guess it's OK if I was a mind-reader
                                    You don't have to be a mind reader! just click on the link. I don't know what the exact term is for the click-drag system they use, but you have to drag the image in the direction you want to view rather than the opposite direction.This makes it difficult to navigate the scene (Clunky). You click drag it stops- you then grab another part of the scene click that and drag and so on. As I said its probably best on an iphone or touch screen of any kind but its no good when you're using a mouse.
                                    here's the link I was referring to: http://www.bing.com/local/details.aspx?lid=YN926x15805524&q=museum%20of%20flight%20Seattle,%20Washington&qt=yp&tid=073798a3fc4d432881b539254a5ae46b&mkt=en-us&FORM=LLSV
                                    However if you go to something like this : http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=2c5cad26-5679-4a48-93bb-a5904380e965There is an option to change the dragging action. Its not the default option, but at least its there.

                                    To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: matt@...
                                    Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 19:31:08 +0000

                                    This comment is terrible I guess it's OK if I was a mind-reader, but otherwise its really quite clunky ;)

                                    It would be interesting to hear more details. These are very generic terms. What specifically about the UI is "terrible", "OK", and "clunky".

                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Yazan Sboul <yazansboul@...> wrote:

                                    > Its a shame we can't upload to google maps as a third party. Its nice to be able to place client panos on Bing, but the user interface is terrible I guess its Ok for i-devices but otherwise its really quite clunky. Besides if its not on google maps, its not really very accessible.

                                    > To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com

                                    > From: matt@...

                                    > Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 17:11:34 +0000

                                    > Subject: [PanoToolsNG] Re: make a little money shooting panoramas on your iPhone

                                    > This announcement represents one of several ways that businesses can get panorama interiors uploaded to Bing Maps. Like Ken, I hope that this raises the awareness of panoramic photography.

                                    > As pointed out on an earlier thread: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/49630 We do have a mechanism for you to upload high quality content. Hopefully some business owners will take advantage of this to commission higher quality work. Robert Harshman(http://photosynth.net/userprofilepage.aspx?user=image360) tried out the process. The business that he shot now has a very high quality interior panorama associated with it: http://binged.it/p0VD7t (click on the 'step inside' thumbnail).

                                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@> wrote:

                                    > > I agree. In the long run, the Bing thing will be good for panoramic photography

                                    > > because more and more people will become aware of it and want it as it becomes

                                    > > more main stream.

                                    > > > Lol, The fact is that whether we like it or not, there may be no significant market for professional photography in panoramas. In the same sense that there is no significant market for original art work in starbucks. What I mean is that chain restaurants and cafes like starbucks do need art on the wall but cheap prints will suffice, and it would be madness to suggest otherwise. So to conclude there may be no real or significant market for the "intersection" of professional photography and interactive images in the mass market. It shouldn't really be that surprising.

                                    > > > That shouldn't change anything for panoramic photographers, I think its a vital and vibrant part of the photography field. But I think its clear that it should constitute part of a photography business rather than a niche skill set.

                                  • Bernhard Vogl
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 20, 2011
                                      Grab-drag is the more intuitive method. That's a fact. Every modern system
                                      uses grab-drag (e.g. smartphones, map applications, Adobe etc.).
                                      It may be ok for specific uses but in general, this discussion is like
                                      flogging a dead horse - or insisting on Quicktime panoramas ;-)

                                      Just my 2 cent...

                                      Bernhard
                                    • Trausti Hraunfjord
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 20, 2011
                                        Should not be any discussion at all. What is better: 20 click drags, or one
                                        click drag?

                                        No need to answer, any sane person knows the correct answer. Then there are
                                        the "dancing viewers"... people dancing around like were they headless
                                        chicken, holding their computing device in front of themselves..... The
                                        world has been mad for quite some time, but that doesn't mean everyone
                                        should jump off high places and land on their heads, just to be like all the
                                        others.

                                        That's my $100 input.

                                        Trausti

                                        On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

                                        > **
                                        >

                                        > Grab-drag is the more intuitive method. That's a fact. Every modern system
                                        > uses grab-drag (e.g. smartphones, map applications, Adobe etc.).
                                        > It may be ok for specific uses but in general, this discussion is like
                                        > flogging a dead horse - or insisting on Quicktime panoramas ;-)
                                        >
                                        > Just my 2 cent...
                                        >
                                        > Bernhard

                                      • Yazan Sboul
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 21, 2011
                                          Its not only the one click vs. 20 clicks. The click drag method breaks the illusion of "immersiveness". I'm guessing this this is because the recognizes it as an image being dragged around behind a viewer, whereas the one click movement lends its self to the experience of looking through a window and swiveling around.

                                          To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                                          From: trausti.hraunfjord@...
                                          Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 22:35:34 -0500

                                          Should not be any discussion at all. What is better: 20 click drags, or one

                                          click drag?

                                          No need to answer, any sane person knows the correct answer. Then there are

                                          the "dancing viewers"... people dancing around like were they headless

                                          chicken, holding their computing device in front of themselves..... The

                                          world has been mad for quite some time, but that doesn't mean everyone

                                          should jump off high places and land on their heads, just to be like all the

                                          others.

                                          That's my $100 input.

                                          Trausti

                                          On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

                                          > **

                                          > Grab-drag is the more intuitive method. That's a fact. Every modern system

                                          > uses grab-drag (e.g. smartphones, map applications, Adobe etc.).

                                          > It may be ok for specific uses but in general, this discussion is like

                                          > flogging a dead horse - or insisting on Quicktime panoramas ;-)

                                          > Just my 2 cent...

                                          > Bernhard

                                        • Sacha Griffin
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 21, 2011
                                            Perhaps it would be nice to give the author control of the drag mode.

                                            Question 1: Is it ok to charge for creating a high quality Photosynth for a
                                            client?

                                            Question 2: Is it ok to display the Photosynth logo on commercial websites?

                                            Question 3: How much is a commercial license?

                                            Sacha Griffin

                                            <http://www.seeit360.com> http://www.seeit360.com

                                            <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

                                            <http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/> http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/

                                            IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@...> sachagriffin007@...

                                            Office: 404-551-4275

                                            GV: 404-665-9990

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 21, 2011
                                              > Perhaps it would be nice to give the author control of the drag mode.

                                              This is a good suggestion, it might already be there in the options to the embed tag - I will check.

                                              > Question 1:

                                              Yes it is OK to charge clients.

                                              > Question 2:

                                              Yes this is allowed.

                                              In almost all cases commercial use of Photosynth is free. The exceptions to this are when you want to use Photosynth to store "un-listed" panoaramas. The details are outlined here: http://photosynth.net/commercial.aspx

                                              > Perhaps it would be nice to give the author control of the drag mode.
                                              >

                                              > Question 1: Is it ok to charge for creating a high quality Photosynth for a
                                              > client?
                                              >
                                              > Question 2: Is it ok to display the Photosynth logo on commercial websites?
                                              >
                                              > Question 3: How much is a commercial license?
                                              >

                                              > Sacha Griffin

                                              > <http://www.seeit360.com> http://www.seeit360.com
                                              >
                                              > <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
                                              >
                                              > <http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/> http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/
                                              >
                                              > IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@...> sachagriffin007@...
                                              >
                                              > Office: 404-551-4275
                                              >
                                              > GV: 404-665-9990

                                            • enridp
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 22, 2011
                                                That's completely false with 3D cursors like Google StreetView.

                                                If you have a 3D cursror, the click drag method is +1000 better to make a really illusion of "immersiveness".

                                                Also, the click drag system is *much* easier to manage for the "normal" (stupid?) user than the click movement version.
                                                I remember my first time selling a panorama to a Real Estate company, I was showing to the owner the panorama, and then I say:
                                                "Please try yourself, you will see the difference"
                                                He started to rotate the panorama without control, I practically save him from a nausea attack turning of the panorama.

                                                I think big companies like Google or Microsoft, which are developing applications for ALL the world, not just users who knows how to use a mouse, take this problem seriously.
                                                Is easier the click and drag?, go for it as "default" then...

                                                Anyway, returning to the topic of this post, what happens with the people in the panoramas?
                                                There are always legal problems with those things.

                                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Yazan Sboul <yazansboul@...> wrote:

                                                > Its not only the one click vs. 20 clicks. The click drag method breaks the illusion of "immersiveness". I'm guessing this this is because the recognizes it as an image being dragged around behind a viewer, whereas the one click movement lends its self to the experience of looking through a window and swiveling around.
                                                >
                                                > To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                                                > From: trausti.hraunfjord@...
                                                > Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 22:35:34 -0500
                                                > Subject: Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: make a little money shooting panoramas on your iPhone

                                                > Should not be any discussion at all. What is better: 20 click drags, or one
                                                >
                                                > click drag?
                                                >

                                                > No need to answer, any sane person knows the correct answer. Then there are
                                                >
                                                > the "dancing viewers"... people dancing around like were they headless
                                                >
                                                > chicken, holding their computing device in front of themselves..... The
                                                >
                                                > world has been mad for quite some time, but that doesn't mean everyone
                                                >
                                                > should jump off high places and land on their heads, just to be like all the
                                                >
                                                > others.
                                                >

                                                > That's my $100 input.
                                                >

                                                > Trausti
                                                >

                                                > On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:
                                                >

                                                > > **
                                                >

                                                > > Grab-drag is the more intuitive method. That's a fact. Every modern system
                                                >
                                                > > uses grab-drag (e.g. smartphones, map applications, Adobe etc.).
                                                >
                                                > > It may be ok for specific uses but in general, this discussion is like
                                                >
                                                > > flogging a dead horse - or insisting on Quicktime panoramas ;-)
                                                >

                                                > > Just my 2 cent...
                                                >

                                                > > Bernhard

                                              • Trausti Hraunfjord
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 22, 2011
                                                  Well, if we should all follow the way of the "stupid" users, the answer to
                                                  your final question is simple: Stop taking pictures.

                                                  Yes, seriously! Because if there are "always" legal problems, the sensible
                                                  thing to do is to comply with the needs of the stupid people who have a
                                                  problem with pictures taken in public spaces. Just like we should comply
                                                  with the needs of those who like click-drag, click-drag, click-drag,
                                                  click-drag, click-drag, click-drag, click-drag, click-drag, click-drag,
                                                  click-drag, click-drag, click-drag, click-drag to see a single pano. There
                                                  is no sense in having sensible solutions in a world full of dimwits.

                                                  Trausti

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 22, 2011
                                                    That's not very smart in an e-commerce sense.
                                                    Maybe my users are not a representative public, but I can tell you that many of them can't manage well the click and move system and even worse, many of them feels nausea (even when the movemenet is controlled).
                                                    And how I said, can you imagine the 3D Google's cursor with click and movement? and also is the natural way for touch screen.

                                                    Respecto to the legal issue, maybe the shops are considered as public places, I'm not sure of this, but what I'm sure is that I don't want to have people shooting me when I'm buying something.
                                                    I can't understand why Google is forced to blur the faces on the street and Microsoft can put your face at a few centimeters of the camera showing you buying something that could be really private without problems.

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jul 23, 2011
                                                      I agree that on devices where one uses the fingers to navigate, the drag
                                                      method feels "natural" enough, but for mice it fits like a standard sized
                                                      female bikini would fit a Sumo fighter.

                                                      And I also agree that while shopping, it would be annoying if strangers were
                                                      shooting pictures of me doing what I'd consider "private and personal"
                                                      doings.... thinking about it... it would annoy me much less if I was in an
                                                      out-doors market in a city square or inside a supermarket in one of the
                                                      aisles .. while it would not go well for me if.. in the same supermarket I
                                                      was being photographed reaching out for a product in a shelf. So I do have
                                                      a limit for what I'd find "acceptable" in this field, probably caused by the
                                                      debate that has been going on regarding those issues. I don't remember
                                                      having had any objections about being photographed in public or private
                                                      years ago...

                                                      Trausti