Gigapan Epic Pro

  • Rick Drew
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 11, 2011
      Hi all - I just purchased a Gigapan Epic Pro, and I'm hoping I did not screw
      up. I could not figure out how the camera mounted until I realized there
      was no way to mount it. The lever, button, spring, screw and washer were
      rattling around inside the box. The screw looks like it as either
      cross-threaded, or the threads in the lever are stripped. I am not
      impressed. This is the part that is supposed to hold my $5000 camera and
      lens to the robot, and it looks like a shop-school dropout made it. The
      lever is spray painted and chipping, and resembles some cheap Chinese junk.
      Same for the screw. The hole the screw threads into is not even centered!
      The hole the stainless "button" and spring drop into is about 20% too large
      and the thing wobbles like crazy. The "lever" on the locking release is just
      a roll-pin someone clipped with a pair of side-cutters - almost needle
      sharp. I don't know why they could not use the industry standard
      Bogen/Manfrotto mounting system, or who made these particular parts, but
      they are garbage.

      Anyone seen this before or know a solution, short of returning this thing?

      Thanks

      Rick Drew

    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2011
        Do you know about the Arca Swiss Clamp and plate for the Epic Pro? It's an accessory you can order either direct from GigaPan or from your reseller.

        It's a far stronger locking mechanism (assuming you want to use Arca plates on your camera and/or lens mount...

        Badders

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Drew" <rick@...> wrote:

        > Hi all - I just purchased a Gigapan Epic Pro, and I'm hoping I did not screw
        > up. I could not figure out how the camera mounted until I realized there
        > was no way to mount it. The lever, button, spring, screw and washer were
        > rattling around inside the box. The screw looks like it as either
        > cross-threaded, or the threads in the lever are stripped. I am not
        > impressed. This is the part that is supposed to hold my $5000 camera and
        > lens to the robot, and it looks like a shop-school dropout made it. The
        > lever is spray painted and chipping, and resembles some cheap Chinese junk.
        > Same for the screw. The hole the screw threads into is not even centered!
        > The hole the stainless "button" and spring drop into is about 20% too large
        > and the thing wobbles like crazy. The "lever" on the locking release is just
        > a roll-pin someone clipped with a pair of side-cutters - almost needle
        > sharp. I don't know why they could not use the industry standard
        > Bogen/Manfrotto mounting system, or who made these particular parts, but
        > they are garbage.
        >

        > Anyone seen this before or know a solution, short of returning this thing?
        >

        > Thanks
        >

        > Rick Drew

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 17, 2011
          Rick, contact them and ask for either a replacement "mounting Slide" or a complete replacement Gigapan. I had a not dis-similar problem when I purchased mine, last year, and I would have hoped that by now they had improved the quality of the mounting section. Also watch out that A) you doe not lose the little metal plate that sits between the arm and the "slide" as this is not attached in any way to the head and B) be very careful with the feeble plastic end stop "mechanism" (I use the term in its broadest sense) as I am sure you will break it very quickly, it is made to the same standards as the parts you have received already broken. I wish they would specify better quality parts as I am sure they must be losing out with all the returns they must get because of the low quality materials in this.
          The head does work very well despite the weaknesses mentioned.

          Jeff Starley