Stereographic projections

  • panobanano
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2011
      Hey friends,
      What are you using to make sterographic projections for use in large prints? I am using the Flexify plug-in for photoshop. Very useful. The problem is, and I think this is inherent in the process, that the further from the center of the image the more distorted and stretched the image becomes, so if I have a tall building that is sticking up out of the horizon it gets very "fuzzy" at the top in a stereographic projection. Is there any way around this? Some other software that interpolates somehow? Any recommendations?
      thanks,

      ron rack
    • Christian Bloch
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2011
        Well, part of the problem is, that the outer part of stereoscopic projection is coming from very few pixels in the original equirectangular pano, magnified to the extremes.

        To get the best possible result, you'd have to go back to PTGui and stitch directly to stereoscopic from the originals. However, it's a pain, because I often have all my colors already corrected and did a lot of touch up work in Photoshop. So, in most cases I would just stick with the reprojection from the equirectangular, and instead of hiding the unsharpness I enhance it even further. That is, I use Photoshop's Lens Blur based on an Alpha map I'm painting to give it a more appealing out-of-focus look.

        Blochi

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 9, 2011
          Am 08.07.2011 21:38, schrieb Christian Bloch:
          > To get the best possible result, you'd have to go back to PTGui and
          > stitch directly to stereoscopic from the originals

          While this is true in theory there shouldn't be a visible difference if
          you create your stereographic from a maximum size equirectangular. The
          reason is that if you choose "Maximum Size (no loss of detail)" in PTGui
          you get an equirectangular which contains at least all available
          information.

          However, the choice of interpolator is critical if you do such massive
          remappings. I don't know what interpolator flexify uses, but I doubt
          that it is a large kernel anti-aliasing interpolator like those PTGui
          offers.

          But the fact remains, that some areas of a sterographic image are
          heavily enlarged which means you need a high resolution as source to get
          a medium resolution in those areas. This is especially true for print.
          Hence the idea to blur the out regions sounds good in this case.