Bracketing

  • Jeremy Garrard
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 20 4:06 AM
      Me again :)

      My Canon has an autobracketing feature, but can only go up to 2 stops
      either side. In panoramic situations this is usually not nearly enough,
      so I have to do them manually.

      Two questions arise...

      1) Is there any way of using a PDA or something to control the camera? I
      am a programmer by trade so I could knock the software up without
      problem, but wondered if control comms specs for the cameras are public
      domain? I know you can buy pretty advanced Canon remotes so I guess it's
      perfectly possible.

      2) When there is a high dynamic range in the scene, can I just do 3
      brackets far apart, or do I need to do a whole "ramp" of them so that
      they are only ever 1 or 2 stops apart?

      Many thanks,
      Jeremy
    • Robert C. Fisher
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 20 6:01 AM
        On Jul 20, 2006, at 4:06 AM, Jeremy Garrard wrote:

        > Me again :)
        >
        > My Canon has an autobracketing feature, but can only go up to 2 stops
        > either side. In panoramic situations this is usually not nearly
        > enough,
        > so I have to do them manually.

        With my Fuji S2 I almost always shoot 3 exp in the autobracket mode 2
        stops apart. This will work for most situations. With the 3 exp 1
        +2/-2 you can extract another exp by shooting camera raw. I shoot
        single shots and pull 2 other exp to get better dynamic range. This
        pano I shot only 1 exposure due to the content, a nascar race, and
        made an underexposed image and an overexsposed about 1.75 stops over/
        under http://www.rcfisher.com/peyton_kt.php. I used Photomatix to
        do the exposure blending, my problems are usually getting an image
        that looks realistic, a lot of times the overexposed or underexposed
        areas add realism.

        > Two questions arise...
        >
        > 1) Is there any way of using a PDA or something to control the
        > camera? I
        > am a programmer by trade so I could knock the software up without
        > problem, but wondered if control comms specs for the cameras are
        > public
        > domain? I know you can buy pretty advanced Canon remotes so I guess
        > it's
        > perfectly possible.

        This sounds like it would be valuable to a lot of photographers.

        > 2) When there is a high dynamic range in the scene, can I just do 3
        > brackets far apart, or do I need to do a whole "ramp" of them so that
        > they are only ever 1 or 2 stops apart?

        I shoot almost all of my brackets at 2 stops, you can always make a
        in between exposure using raw.

        > Many thanks,
        > Jeremy

        Cheers
        Robert C. Fisher
        QTVR Photography/Cinematography
        www.rcfisher.com
      • Pajuaba Gmail
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 20 6:12 AM
          Coincidentally I asked Chris Breeze, developer of BreezeBrowser and
          (more interesting for us) DSLR Remote PRO, a software that would allow
          us to do it, among others, if he was planning to develop a version for
          PalmOS, or Windows Mobile. This is his answer:

          Unfortunately the Canon libraries used to control the camera are only
          available for desktop versions of Windows and won't work on a PDA. You
          could try an ultra mobile tablet PC like the new Samsung Q1 which runs
          Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.

          I still didn´t see this PC he mentions, so I can´t say much. But it´s
          very likely that it is WAY more expensive than a PalmOS PDA.
          Regards,
          Rodolpho Pajuaba

          Jeremy Garrard escreveu:
          > Me again :)
          >

          > Two questions arise...
          >
          > 1) Is there any way of using a PDA or something to control the camera? I
          > am a programmer by trade so I could knock the software up without
          > problem, but wondered if control comms specs for the cameras are public
          > domain? I know you can buy pretty advanced Canon remotes so I guess it's
          > perfectly possible.
          >

          > Many thanks,
          > Jeremy
        • Mark D. Fink
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 20 6:14 AM
            Hi Jeremy,

            If you get into programming a controller yourself, could you also see if
            there is any way to control the focus of a Canon EOS digital? What I'm
            looking for is a way to have the lens focus to a specific distance without
            having to touch the lens.

            Thanks,

            Mark
            www.northernlight.net

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 20 6:34 AM
              > Coincidentally I asked Chris Breeze, developer of
              > BreezeBrowser and (more interesting for us) DSLR Remote PRO,
              > a software that would allow us to do it, among others, if he
              > was planning to develop a version for PalmOS, or Windows
              > Mobile. This is his answer:
              >
              > Unfortunately the Canon libraries used to control the camera
              > are only available for desktop versions of Windows and won't
              > work on a PDA. You could try an ultra mobile tablet PC like
              > the new Samsung Q1 which runs Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.

              Ah, that's interesting, I didn't realise there was a library available
              (not that I've done any research into this). I wonder whether it would
              be possible to reverse engineer the library, or to sniff the comms. Not
              sure of the legal ramifications of this though.
            • Jeremy Garrard
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 20 6:52 AM
                > I shoot almost all of my brackets at 2 stops, you can always
                > make a in between exposure using raw.
                >
                > Cheers
                > Robert C. Fisher
                > QTVR Photography/Cinematography
                > www.rcfisher.com

                Well I do a lot of indoor work so I get the classic dark interior /
                bright windows problem. 4 stops is not normally enough to cover this
                range.

                Also I plan to move to 16 bit workflow, so it would be pointless to
                extract extra exposures from raw.

                Cheers,
                Jeremy
              • Mark Banas (lists)
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 20 8:50 AM
                  On Jul 20, 2006, at 9:12 AM, Pajuaba Gmail wrote:

                  > Unfortunately the Canon libraries used to control the camera are only
                  > available for desktop versions of Windows and won't work on a PDA. You
                  > could try an ultra mobile tablet PC like the new Samsung Q1 which runs
                  > Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.

                  It should also be noted that the Canon control libraries are compiled
                  for UNIX as well (incl. OS X).

                  If you want a quick and easy way to capture HDR or just do some
                  extensive bracketing with an OS X laptop (no PDA), then you can try
                  Greg Ward's "HDRcapOSX" available as part of his suite of HDR image
                  building tools for OSX:

                  http://www.anyhere.com/

                  Pretty rough and primitive, but if you know anything about OS X
                  command line utils (& apps that use them) you can quickly come up
                  with a nicer GUI and other options.

                  I've got a custom-made version set up to 1) sample the scene for the
                  fastest shutter speed needed (either nothing is blown out or the
                  aperture/ max shutter speed has been reached), 2) optimize the
                  "steps" between brackets (no limit to the #) based on the range I
                  spec'd, 3) capture the bracketed exposures, 4) save the exposure step
                  info in a file, 5) compose an HDR file from the brackets (if
                  transferred from the camera), 6) prompt me to repeat the sequence for
                  the next turn of my panohead using the "step file." Works very well,
                  but sometimes has trouble connecting to the camera, though that's a
                  Canon issue.

                  And before you ask, I paid someone to build this GUI for me based on
                  Greg's work (since I'm no programmer), so I'm sorry but I'm not
                  giving it away to other OS X users. :-(

                  -Mark

                  BTW, the major limitation to any PDA being able to control a camera
                  is that all cameras are USB "slave" devices and only respond to a USB
                  "host." No PDA that I know of include this necessary hardware
                  component. A long time ago you could use a serial port from a
                  PalmPilot (hence the old PalmOS cameracontroller), but that was in
                  1997 or so...
                • Mr. Roger Howard
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 20 9:15 AM
                    On Jul 20, 2006, at 8:50 AM, Mark Banas (lists) wrote:

                    > On Jul 20, 2006, at 9:12 AM, Pajuaba Gmail wrote:
                    >
                    >> Unfortunately the Canon libraries used to control the camera are only
                    >> available for desktop versions of Windows and won't work on a PDA.
                    >> You
                    >> could try an ultra mobile tablet PC like the new Samsung Q1 which
                    >> runs
                    >> Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.
                    >
                    > It should also be noted that the Canon control libraries are compiled
                    > for UNIX as well (incl. OS X).
                    >
                    > If you want a quick and easy way to capture HDR or just do some
                    > extensive bracketing with an OS X laptop (no PDA), then you can try
                    > Greg Ward's "HDRcapOSX" available as part of his suite of HDR image
                    > building tools for OSX:
                    >
                    > http://www.anyhere.com/
                    >
                    > Pretty rough and primitive, but if you know anything about OS X
                    > command line utils (& apps that use them) you can quickly come up
                    > with a nicer GUI and other options.

                    Oh Mark, this is sooooooo cool... ok, I have 200+ panos to stitch
                    from Italy, but I can already see this distracting me. I'm already
                    looking for a cheap mini to hack apart to run an app based on these
                    tools. Hmmmmmmmm....

                    -R
                  • Eric O'Brien
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 20 10:48 PM
                      I suppose it would be asking too much for the camera manufacturers to
                      make this all a little bit easier for us?? Has no one at the
                      manufacturers heard of HDR imaging??

                      For example, the the limitation on the Nikon D200 of ONE EV step for
                      bracketing. This isn't slide film we're exposing to, folks!

                      eo

                      On Jul 20, 2006, at 8:50 AM, Mark Banas (lists) wrote:

                      > On Jul 20, 2006, at 9:12 AM, Pajuaba Gmail wrote:
                      >
                      >> Unfortunately the Canon libraries used to control the camera are only
                      >> available for desktop versions of Windows and won't work on a PDA.
                      >> You
                      >> could try an ultra mobile tablet PC like the new Samsung Q1 which
                      >> runs
                      >> Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.
                      >
                      > It should also be noted that the Canon control libraries are compiled
                      > for UNIX as well (incl. OS X).
                      >
                      > If you want a quick and easy way to capture HDR or just do some
                      > extensive bracketing with an OS X laptop (no PDA), then you can try
                      > Greg Ward's "HDRcapOSX" available as part of his suite of HDR image
                      > building tools for OSX:
                      >
                      > http://www.anyhere.com/
                      >
                      > Pretty rough and primitive, but if you know anything about OS X
                      > command line utils (& apps that use them) you can quickly come up
                      > with a nicer GUI and other options.
                      >
                      > I've got a custom-made version set up to 1) sample the scene for the
                      > fastest shutter speed needed (either nothing is blown out or the
                      > aperture/ max shutter speed has been reached), 2) optimize the
                      > "steps" between brackets (no limit to the #) based on the range I
                      > spec'd, 3) capture the bracketed exposures, 4) save the exposure step
                      > info in a file, 5) compose an HDR file from the brackets (if
                      > transferred from the camera), 6) prompt me to repeat the sequence for
                      > the next turn of my panohead using the "step file." Works very well,
                      > but sometimes has trouble connecting to the camera, though that's a
                      > Canon issue.
                      >
                      > And before you ask, I paid someone to build this GUI for me based on
                      > Greg's work (since I'm no programmer), so I'm sorry but I'm not
                      > giving it away to other OS X users. :-(
                      >
                      > -Mark
                      >
                      > BTW, the major limitation to any PDA being able to control a camera
                      > is that all cameras are USB "slave" devices and only respond to a USB
                      > "host." No PDA that I know of include this necessary hardware
                      > component. A long time ago you could use a serial port from a
                      > PalmPilot (hence the old PalmOS cameracontroller), but that was in
                      > 1997 or so...

                    • Roger D. Williams
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 21 12:21 AM
                        On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:48:57 +0900, Eric O'Brien
                        <ericob@...> wrote:

                        > I suppose it would be asking too much for the camera manufacturers to
                        > make this all a little bit easier for us?? Has no one at the
                        > manufacturers heard of HDR imaging??
                        >
                        > For example, the the limitation on the Nikon D200 of ONE EV step for
                        > bracketing. This isn't slide film we're exposing to, folks!

                        It might as well be, though. I find my new digital camera QUITE as
                        touchy about exposure as my occasional experiences with slide film.
                        And without the compensation you get with slide film, of having the
                        saturation go up when you slightly underexpose. In the bright new
                        digital world everything just gets muddy very quickly... just as
                        negative film does. Sort of worst of both worlds.

                        BUT, if you don't mind (temporarily) multiplying the number of shots
                        you take in your bracketing sequence I find you can take SEVEN, all
                        one stop apart, i.e., -3, -2, -1, 0 +1, +2, +3, with the D200. I say
                        temporarily because it's easy up to delete the ones that aren't
                        going to be useful.

                        Six stops, with maybe another one or more from RAW (if, like me, you
                        still don't work in 16 bits end-to-end), is surely enough for most
                        purposes? Or is my ignorance showing? I've only just started to take
                        digital photos and already sadly miss the much greater dynamic range
                        of film. But it's nice to be able to change ISO on the fly, so like
                        all things, "win some, lose some."

                        Excuse the rambling. I really just wanted to mention the seven-way
                        bracketing.

                        Roger W.

                        --
                        Work: www.adex-japan.com, Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
                      • Eric O'Brien
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 21 1:00 AM
                          I really LIKE the idea of bracketing over 7 exposures!

                          I just wish they had thought to allow wider EV steps. I don't very
                          much want to have to go back and manually pick out the "wasted"
                          intermediate shots... and risking making a mistake in the process :(

                          eo

                          On Jul 21, 2006, at 12:21 AM, Roger D. Williams wrote:

                          > On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:48:57 +0900, Eric O'Brien
                          > <ericob@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> I suppose it would be asking too much for the camera manufacturers to
                          >> make this all a little bit easier for us?? Has no one at the
                          >> manufacturers heard of HDR imaging??
                          >>
                          >> For example, the the limitation on the Nikon D200 of ONE EV step for
                          >> bracketing. This isn't slide film we're exposing to, folks!
                          >
                          > It might as well be, though. I find my new digital camera QUITE as
                          > touchy about exposure as my occasional experiences with slide film.
                          > And without the compensation you get with slide film, of having the
                          > saturation go up when you slightly underexpose. In the bright new
                          > digital world everything just gets muddy very quickly... just as
                          > negative film does. Sort of worst of both worlds.
                          >
                          > BUT, if you don't mind (temporarily) multiplying the number of shots
                          > you take in your bracketing sequence I find you can take SEVEN, all
                          > one stop apart, i.e., -3, -2, -1, 0 +1, +2, +3, with the D200. I say
                          > temporarily because it's easy up to delete the ones that aren't
                          > going to be useful.
                          >
                          > Six stops, with maybe another one or more from RAW (if, like me, you
                          > still don't work in 16 bits end-to-end), is surely enough for most
                          > purposes? Or is my ignorance showing? I've only just started to take
                          > digital photos and already sadly miss the much greater dynamic range
                          > of film. But it's nice to be able to change ISO on the fly, so like
                          > all things, "win some, lose some."
                          >
                          > Excuse the rambling. I really just wanted to mention the seven-way
                          > bracketing.
                          >
                          > Roger W.
                        • Ingemar Bergmark
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 21 2:12 AM
                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy Garrard" <jgarrard@...>
                            wrote:

                            > My Canon has an autobracketing feature, but can only go up to 2 stops
                            > either side. In panoramic situations this is usually not nearly
                            enough,
                            > so I have to do them manually.
                            >
                            > 2) When there is a high dynamic range in the scene, can I just do 3
                            > brackets far apart, or do I need to do a whole "ramp" of them so that
                            > they are only ever 1 or 2 stops apart?

                            Hello!

                            I also find that the bracketing of +/-2EV is not enough all the times,
                            however I shoot in RAW mode which gives me a little bit of leeway when
                            converting the RAW files (I use Adobe Camera Raw).

                            I've tried several programs/scripts for exposure blending
                            (Photomatix/DRI Pro), but I've never been 100% satisfied with the
                            results. It just doesn't look natural...

                            I now blend manually in Photoshop CS2.
                            Here are some recent examples where I've created separate panoramas for
                            each bracket and then blended them manually.

                            http://bergmark.com/pano/showPano.php?id=pCHUnder
                            http://bergmark.com/pano/showPano.php?id=pKBThrone

                            How did I do it?
                            You'll find an excellent tutorial on the PanoTools wiki here :-)
                            http://wiki.panoramatools.org/A_simple_approach_to_HDR-blending

                            Best Regards,
                            Ingemar Bergmark
                            http://panoramas.bergmark.com
                          • Eric O'Brien
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 21 12:55 PM
                              I submit that the type of scene shown in Ingemar's panos are just
                              those that I'm challenging the author of tone-mapping software and
                              algorithms to figure out how to deal with.

                              There are large regions that have significantly different brightness,
                              but WITHIN those regions the brightness range is perhaps close to
                              "normal." You might say these scenes have a discontinuous brightness
                              range.

                              Tonemapping processes would typically compress the brightness range
                              of the ENTIRE scene, which results in a very flat, unnatural, look.
                              What is needed is to selectively compress tonality within the scene.
                              The transitions between brightness ranges would be highly compressed,
                              while the broad areas that cover a more normal brightness range would
                              be less compressed.

                              I think this is what settings named such things as "preserve local
                              contrast" are intended to do... but they don't seem sophisticated
                              enough. Poorly handled transitions result in halos and "local" areas
                              with high brightens ranges will be over-compresses resulting in that
                              flat look.

                              eo

                              On Jul 21, 2006, at 2:12 AM, Ingemar Bergmark wrote:

                              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy Garrard" <jgarrard@...>
                              > wrote:
                              >>
                              >> My Canon has an autobracketing feature, but can only go up to 2 stops
                              >> either side. In panoramic situations this is usually not nearly
                              > enough,
                              >> so I have to do them manually.
                              >>
                              >> 2) When there is a high dynamic range in the scene, can I just do 3
                              >> brackets far apart, or do I need to do a whole "ramp" of them so that
                              >> they are only ever 1 or 2 stops apart?
                              >>

                              > Hello!
                              >
                              > I also find that the bracketing of +/-2EV is not enough all the times,
                              > however I shoot in RAW mode which gives me a little bit of leeway when
                              > converting the RAW files (I use Adobe Camera Raw).
                              >
                              > I've tried several programs/scripts for exposure blending
                              > (Photomatix/DRI Pro), but I've never been 100% satisfied with the
                              > results. It just doesn't look natural...
                              >
                              > I now blend manually in Photoshop CS2.
                              > Here are some recent examples where I've created separate panoramas
                              > for
                              > each bracket and then blended them manually.
                              >
                              > http://bergmark.com/pano/showPano.php?id=pCHUnder
                              > http://bergmark.com/pano/showPano.php?id=pKBThrone
                              >
                              > How did I do it?
                              > You'll find an excellent tutorial on the PanoTools wiki here :-)
                              > http://wiki.panoramatools.org/A_simple_approach_to_HDR-blending
                              >
                              > Best Regards,
                              > Ingemar Bergmark
                              > http://panoramas.bergmark.com

                            • Ingemar Skarpås
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 23 9:31 AM

                                The ControlMyNikon 3.0 handles bracketing – tested and works wonderfully – with my D7000. Three modes: 1) shutter speed. 2) Aperture. 3) Exposure compensation. For example, in Adjust Exposure compensation mode, it accepts the camera reading for shutter speed as a “midpoint” and then you can add additional shutter speeds +/-5 in 1/3. That’s a max of 31 exposures.

                                I have a rather heavy four kernel laptop used at home “as a studio”. I am contemplating getting a small laptop or something even cheap and small to use outdoors for panoramas.

                                As the name states it works “only” with Nikon cameras. See http://www.controlmynikon.com

                                I admit I am having a great time now, after joining this group – Of course, as a novice in panoramas, I don’t understand half of what your discussing – but looking up and TESTING things as suggested make life great – especially this cold and rainy summer, when chances for great camera shoots are scarce…

                                Cheers,

                                Ingemar

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 23 11:05 AM
                                  Am 23.07.2012 18:31, schrieb Ingemar Skarpås:
                                  > As the name states it works “only” with Nikon cameras. See
                                  > http://www.controlmynikon.com

                                  I've added it to http://wiki.panotools.org/Extended_bracketing_control
                                  Have a look there, perhaps you find a lighter solution...

                                • Christian Bloch
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 23 11:43 AM
                                    I tried a lot of these apps, and Smart Shooter I like best.

                                    The specialty is that it is scriptable. The developer is very responsive, and so the bracketing script is now even capable to send the images directly to Picturenaut to merge the HDR automatically. There are script for automatic FTP upload, and I assume anybody here could cobble a script together that sends pre-defined pano sectors to PTGui's batch stitcher. I mean - IF you decide to use a full blown laptop for tethering, you might as well get something extra out of it…

                                    http://hartcw.com/

                                    Best,
                                    Blochi

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 25 1:46 AM
                                      Thanks Erik K.,

                                      Yeah a bit lighter would not be too bad ;) - There is one thing though, I
                                      would like to use focus stacking on flowers and mushrooms in the field too -
                                      Now I do it with the heavy equipment for rare species only, setting up
                                      shields/reflectors for lighting and for wind protection - would be nice to
                                      have that in a smaller/lighter package too. You (or anyone else) don't
                                      happen to know something useful. I could of course ask in some other forum
                                      too, but since the combination of tools combining needs from panorama to
                                      macro and focus stacking my Q would probably a bit off topic elsewhere
                                      also...

                                      ------------------------------------

                                      --
                                    • luca vascon

                                        Am 23.07.2012 18:31, schrieb Ingemar Skarpås:
                                        > As the name states it works “only” with Nikon cameras. See
                                        > http://www.controlmynikon.com

                                        I've added it to http://wiki.panotools.org/Extended_bracketing_control
                                        Have a look there, perhaps you find a lighter solution...

                                        ------------------------------------

                                        <*> Your email settings:
                                            Individual Email | Traditional

                                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                                        <*> To change settings via email:
                                            PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                        --
                                        Luca Vascon.

                                      • Ingemar Skarpås
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 26 9:41 AM

                                          Thanks for the suggestion – will check the Helicon Focus IS…

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jul 27 3:54 AM
                                            I meant "Helicon Focus", "IS" was the verb of the phrase.
                                            :-)