Re: Quick question about PTGui

  • Wim Koornneef
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 5, 2011
      dorindxn wrote:
      > ....cleanning the PTgui projects (which is a text file) between two batch
      > and keepping only the wanted pears ( n1 N2 .. n3 N4) looks like the most
      > simple option for now....

      Hello Dorin,

      Automatic editing of a PTGui project file is not so hard to do, a few years
      ago I wrote a HyperCard script to calculate and set the approx. position
      (Y,R,P) of mosaic images with missing CP's based on the position of aligned
      neighbouring images, the number of rows and the number of images of the
      shoot.
      I had to run the batch stitcher script twice, the first time to generate the
      CP's and to align the images with CP's and a second time, after the
      HyperCard script action has done its job, to stitch the pano.
      I think with a similar workaround it must be possible for you to streamline
      the making of large volumes of panos.

      Success,
      Wim

    • dorindxn
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 6, 2011
        Hello Wim. I'm a programmer and did such things from day one of using PTgui indeed is very easy (I said is a simple text file).
        However when I teach others about panorama and PTgui is much easier if such feature exisit from the firt place and point them to it, but also the third parties plugins for PTgui could be also the way, not know if there is, in priciple, encouraged from PTgui developpers as I could make some great plugins available I'm using on daily basis.

        thanks for the reply
        Dorin
        http://www.livepanoramas.com

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

        > dorindxn wrote:
        > > ....cleanning the PTgui projects (which is a text file) between two batch
        > > and keepping only the wanted pears ( n1 N2 .. n3 N4) looks like the most
        > > simple option for now....
        > >

        > Hello Dorin,
        >
        > Automatic editing of a PTGui project file is not so hard to do, a few years
        > ago I wrote a HyperCard script to calculate and set the approx. position
        > (Y,R,P) of mosaic images with missing CP's based on the position of aligned
        > neighbouring images, the number of rows and the number of images of the
        > shoot.
        > I had to run the batch stitcher script twice, the first time to generate the
        > CP's and to align the images with CP's and a second time, after the
        > HyperCard script action has done its job, to stitch the pano.
        > I think with a similar workaround it must be possible for you to streamline
        > the making of large volumes of panos.
        >
        > Success,
        > Wim

      • Jim Watters
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 6, 2011
          Wim,

          I would be interested in the algorithm you used. I am not on a Mac so HyperCard
          is not useful. But I could probably make it into C or Python code.

          --
          Jim Watters
          http://photocreations.ca
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 6, 2011
            Jim Watters wrote:
            > ...I would be interested in the algorithm you used. I am not on a Mac so
            > HyperCard is not useful. But I could probably make it into C or Python
            > code.....

            Hello Jim,

            HyperCard stacks runs on Mac OS Classic (Mac OS8 or OS9) but since OSX
            Leopard 10.5 Apple is no longer supporting OS Classic (I am now running OSX
            10.6.8).
            If I remember it correctly the script was pretty simple, it was something
            like this:

            First all images in a new PTGui project where aprox. aligned with integer
            numbers (Yaw=0,10,20, etc. Pitch=0,-10,-20 etc. Roll=0) for the lens params.

            Then PTGui generated CP's and aligned the images with the optimizer.

            The saved project was then loaded in HyperCard and scanned by the script to
            find the lines with the integer image params, recognition was done based on
            the presence of integer numbers of the image params, as you know an
            optimized image will never have integers for *all* optimized lens params so
            the algorithm to find the lines of the not aligned images was simple.

            The script calculated the missing image params based on the values of
            neighbouring images, when there where no aligned neighbouring images
            available (f.e. the images in the top row of a mosaic with sky) then the
            image params where calculated based on the values of other rows, this was
            also done with a simple algorithm, then the script replaced the integer
            values of the not optimized image with the calculated ones, this was
            repeated until all images where checked and aligned, and the script saved
            the project, ready for stitching the mosaic images.

            The last mosaic I stitched with this workflow was a couple of years ago,
            since the PTGui batch stitcher is evolved a lot, I now also use a precise
            motor drive and panohead so the need for a script to align images with
            missing CP's is absent for me.

            I am sure you can build such a script yourself, again it is all based on
            simple algororithms.

            Success,
            Wim