Stained glass gigapixel image

  • Robert Slade
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2011
      Hello,

      I've been asked to do a high-res image of a stained glass window in a
      cathedral. It won't be a true gigapixel image, probably looking at about
      25 or 36 images at 20Mp each.

      Would PTGui be the best choice for stiching? Do I need to choose a
      particular type of projection to achieve this flat image?

      I'm planning on making a tiled web page with Pano2VR with thumbnails to
      zoom in to fine details.

      Any help appreciated!

      Regards,
      Rob

      --
      Robert Slade, Photographer
      Manor Photography 07890 564889
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2011
        Robert Slade wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I've been asked to do a high-res image of a stained glass window in a
        > cathedral. It won't be a true gigapixel image, probably looking at about
        > 25 or 36 images at 20Mp each.
        >
        > Would PTGui be the best choice for stiching? Do I need to choose a
        > particular type of projection to achieve this flat image?

        Since the window is pretty much 2D, simple projection techniques
        will give use rectilinear results.

        I'd be inclined to shoot from distance with a long-ish
        lens to avoid funny perspective effects.

        > I'm planning on making a tiled web page with Pano2VR with thumbnails to
        > zoom in to fine details.
        >
        > Any help appreciated!

        Sounds fairly conventional - I'd take well bracketed shots though, and either
        pick the best, or use HDR.

        Others may have advice on a good time of day (or year!), or good weather
        to get the best light, which will MATTER.

        BugBear