Quick question about PTGui

  • dorindxn
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2011
      Hi all,
      Please, does anyone knows if the latest PTGui allows at batch stitching to speciffy on which images to generate the CPs?

      Something like to auto generate CP beetwen 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6.. ..so on? i.e do not generate beetwen 2 and 3, 4 and 5..
      With the current version I'm using ( 8.1.5 ) I could do that only if I break the original project into sepparate projects consist of two images each then generate CPs in each then join those projects back into a single one..

      thanks!
      Dorin
      http://www.livepanoramas.com
    • dorindxn
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4, 2011
        For now, problem is solved by letting PTGui to generate all the CP then by deleting the unwanted pears
        c n2 N3
        c n4 N5
        ..

        Still it would be nice to know if such feature at batch stitching exists in the latest varsion of PTgui.

        cheers,
        Dorin
        http://www.livepanoramas.com

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > Please, does anyone knows if the latest PTGui allows at batch stitching to speciffy on which images to generate the CPs?
        >
        > Something like to auto generate CP beetwen 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6.. ..so on? i.e do not generate beetwen 2 and 3, 4 and 5..
        > With the current version I'm using ( 8.1.5 ) I could do that only if I break the original project into sepparate projects consist of two images each then generate CPs in each then join those projects back into a single one..
        >
        > thanks!
        > Dorin
        > http://www.livepanoramas.com

      • Wim Koornneef
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 4, 2011
          Hello Dorin,

          I think that what you want is not possible but to be absolutely sure I
          suggest that you post this specific question on the PTGui forum as that is
          the best place where you can expect an answer from the developer of PTGui.

          Best,
          Wim

        • dorindxn
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 4, 2011
            Hello Wim, thank you very much for the reply!
            I've done some thinking and seems that is the kind of feature with too little demmand to be implemented, also the trial of the latest version of PTgui seem to confirm that.
            So I'll use the "cleanning after" as I posted in my previous message.

            cheers,
            Dorin
            http://www.livepanoramas.com

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 5, 2011
              Am 04.07.2011 15:32, schrieb dorindxn:
              > Please, does anyone knows if the latest PTGui allows at batch
              > stitching to speciffy on which images to generate the CPs?

              You can not specify on which images to generate CPs but you can specify
              which actually are used for optimization. On Optimizer tab you can set
              of which images you want to use control points. And on Project Settings
              tab you can specify that Optimizer settings are applied if you use the
              project file as a template. I didn't try myself, but I assume that it
              should be possible to use such templates in batch stitcher. However, I
              don't know if this will help you...

            • dorindxn
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 5, 2011
                Thanks Erik, I'm aware of that and it is in 8.1.5 too, it will not help as, say, for image 2 I have both good CPs (with image 1) and bad CPs (with image 3) and that is (may be) true for any images in the project.

                As I said cleanning the PTgui projects (which is a text file) between two batch and keepping only the wanted pears ( n1 N2 .. n3 N4) looks like the most simple option for now.

                I see at least two situations when this feature will be very usefull, but, I'm thinking now, maybe a feature wich allows the merge of several projects along with their CPs and y,p,r will be one of a wider use.

                thanks again for the reply
                Dorin
                http://www.livepanoramas.com

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                > Please, does anyone knows if the latest PTGui allows at batch stitching to speciffy on which images to generate the CPs?
                >
                > Something like to auto generate CP beetwen 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6.. ..so on? i.e do not generate beetwen 2 and 3, 4 and 5..
                > With the current version I'm using ( 8.1.5 ) I could do that only if I break the original project into sepparate projects consist of two images each then generate CPs in each then join those projects back into a single one..
                >
                > thanks!
                > Dorin
                > http://www.livepanoramas.com

              • John Houghton
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 5, 2011
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

                  > I've done some thinking and seems that is the kind of feature with too little demmand to be implemented

                  Dorin, On the contrary, this topic has been discussed several times on the PTGui forum, usually in connection with panoramas of scenes having repeating features, and also when there is excessive overlap between images. Joost is well aware and made this comment in one thread: "Restricting CP generation to neighbouring images would be a solution, something like this is planned for some future version.. ".

                  John
                • dorindxn
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 5, 2011
                    Thanks John, that is good to know, better if one can speciffy the pears, not only the neighbouring images, instead to an arbitrary set of pears according with the needs.

                    thanks again
                    Dorin
                    http://www.livepanoramas.com

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "John Houghton" <j.houghton@...> wrote:

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I've done some thinking and seems that is the kind of feature with too little demmand to be implemented
                    >
                    > Dorin, On the contrary, this topic has been discussed several times on the PTGui forum, usually in connection with panoramas of scenes having repeating features, and also when there is excessive overlap between images. Joost is well aware and made this comment in one thread: "Restricting CP generation to neighbouring images would be a solution, something like this is planned for some future version.. ".
                    >
                    > John

                  • Wim Koornneef
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 5, 2011
                      dorindxn wrote:
                      > ....cleanning the PTgui projects (which is a text file) between two batch
                      > and keepping only the wanted pears ( n1 N2 .. n3 N4) looks like the most
                      > simple option for now....

                      Hello Dorin,

                      Automatic editing of a PTGui project file is not so hard to do, a few years
                      ago I wrote a HyperCard script to calculate and set the approx. position
                      (Y,R,P) of mosaic images with missing CP's based on the position of aligned
                      neighbouring images, the number of rows and the number of images of the
                      shoot.
                      I had to run the batch stitcher script twice, the first time to generate the
                      CP's and to align the images with CP's and a second time, after the
                      HyperCard script action has done its job, to stitch the pano.
                      I think with a similar workaround it must be possible for you to streamline
                      the making of large volumes of panos.

                      Success,
                      Wim

                    • dorindxn
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 6, 2011
                        Hello Wim. I'm a programmer and did such things from day one of using PTgui indeed is very easy (I said is a simple text file).
                        However when I teach others about panorama and PTgui is much easier if such feature exisit from the firt place and point them to it, but also the third parties plugins for PTgui could be also the way, not know if there is, in priciple, encouraged from PTgui developpers as I could make some great plugins available I'm using on daily basis.

                        thanks for the reply
                        Dorin
                        http://www.livepanoramas.com

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

                        > dorindxn wrote:
                        > > ....cleanning the PTgui projects (which is a text file) between two batch
                        > > and keepping only the wanted pears ( n1 N2 .. n3 N4) looks like the most
                        > > simple option for now....
                        > >

                        > Hello Dorin,
                        >
                        > Automatic editing of a PTGui project file is not so hard to do, a few years
                        > ago I wrote a HyperCard script to calculate and set the approx. position
                        > (Y,R,P) of mosaic images with missing CP's based on the position of aligned
                        > neighbouring images, the number of rows and the number of images of the
                        > shoot.
                        > I had to run the batch stitcher script twice, the first time to generate the
                        > CP's and to align the images with CP's and a second time, after the
                        > HyperCard script action has done its job, to stitch the pano.
                        > I think with a similar workaround it must be possible for you to streamline
                        > the making of large volumes of panos.
                        >
                        > Success,
                        > Wim

                      • Jim Watters
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 6, 2011
                          Wim,

                          I would be interested in the algorithm you used. I am not on a Mac so HyperCard
                          is not useful. But I could probably make it into C or Python code.

                          --
                          Jim Watters
                          http://photocreations.ca
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 6, 2011
                            Jim Watters wrote:
                            > ...I would be interested in the algorithm you used. I am not on a Mac so
                            > HyperCard is not useful. But I could probably make it into C or Python
                            > code.....

                            Hello Jim,

                            HyperCard stacks runs on Mac OS Classic (Mac OS8 or OS9) but since OSX
                            Leopard 10.5 Apple is no longer supporting OS Classic (I am now running OSX
                            10.6.8).
                            If I remember it correctly the script was pretty simple, it was something
                            like this:

                            First all images in a new PTGui project where aprox. aligned with integer
                            numbers (Yaw=0,10,20, etc. Pitch=0,-10,-20 etc. Roll=0) for the lens params.

                            Then PTGui generated CP's and aligned the images with the optimizer.

                            The saved project was then loaded in HyperCard and scanned by the script to
                            find the lines with the integer image params, recognition was done based on
                            the presence of integer numbers of the image params, as you know an
                            optimized image will never have integers for *all* optimized lens params so
                            the algorithm to find the lines of the not aligned images was simple.

                            The script calculated the missing image params based on the values of
                            neighbouring images, when there where no aligned neighbouring images
                            available (f.e. the images in the top row of a mosaic with sky) then the
                            image params where calculated based on the values of other rows, this was
                            also done with a simple algorithm, then the script replaced the integer
                            values of the not optimized image with the calculated ones, this was
                            repeated until all images where checked and aligned, and the script saved
                            the project, ready for stitching the mosaic images.

                            The last mosaic I stitched with this workflow was a couple of years ago,
                            since the PTGui batch stitcher is evolved a lot, I now also use a precise
                            motor drive and panohead so the need for a script to align images with
                            missing CP's is absent for me.

                            I am sure you can build such a script yourself, again it is all based on
                            simple algororithms.

                            Success,
                            Wim