Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: A better fisheye lens for the 5Dmk2?

  • Roger D Williams
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 2, 2011
      I have the Pentax version of this lens, and also possess the Sigma 8mm f/3.5 and the Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8.

      It is true that the Sigma can get by very nicely with four around, and that at 10mm or 10.5 it takes six around, and even then requires a little extra work to cover zenith and/or nadir (either an extra shot or some cloning).

      My very subjective judgement is that the Nikon provides marginally the best resolution, but the Pentax comes very close and has a lovely image quality. The Sigma comes a very close third, but of course that may party be because the trade-off for the added convenience of a four-shot workflow is a lower pixel count in the final image.

      A visual comparison between the panoramas produced with the three lenses reveals almost nothing to choose between them. I love the light and convenient Pentax K-x I use with the zoom fisheye, but I hate having to take six shots, and usually find myself using the Peleng 8mm on it instead. This is a good lens, but has weaknesses that bring it (again in my personal opinion) into fourth place with a slightly larger gap than there is between the other three. Still very good, though. Flare is the main problem but I've found various ways to minimize that...

      Roger W.

      Sent from my iPad

      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 12, 2011
        Andrew - did you ever come up with a "best" lens for use with the 5DmkII?

        On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Roger D Williams <roger@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I have the Pentax version of this lens, and also possess the Sigma 8mm
        > f/3.5 and the Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8.
        >
        > It is true that the Sigma can get by very nicely with four around, and that
        > at 10mm or 10.5 it takes six around, and even then requires a little extra
        > work to cover zenith and/or nadir (either an extra shot or some cloning).
        >
        > My very subjective judgement is that the Nikon provides marginally the best
        > resolution, but the Pentax comes very close and has a lovely image quality.
        > The Sigma comes a very close third, but of course that may party be because
        > the trade-off for the added convenience of a four-shot workflow is a lower
        > pixel count in the final image.
        >
        > A visual comparison between the panoramas produced with the three lenses
        > reveals almost nothing to choose between them. I love the light and
        > convenient Pentax K-x I use with the zoom fisheye, but I hate having to take
        > six shots, and usually find myself using the Peleng 8mm on it instead. This
        > is a good lens, but has weaknesses that bring it (again in my personal
        > opinion) into fourth place with a slightly larger gap than there is between
        > the other three. Still very good, though. Flare is the main problem but I've
        > found various ways to minimize that...
        >
        > Roger W.
        >
        > Sent from my iPad
        >

        > On Jul 2, 2011, at 11:40 PM, "Peter A. Schaible" <peter@...> wrote:
        >
        > > How do these 10-17 zoom lenses compare with dedicated 8mm or 10mm
        > > fisheye lenses when making panos and 360 VRs?
        > >
        > > Pentax make one, too:
        > >

        > http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/smc_PENTAX_DA_10-17mm_F3.5-4.5_ED_
        > (IF)_Fish-Eye/
        > >
        > > I rented this lens and it required six around for a 360 pano when used
        > > at 10 mm.
        > >
        > > Can anyone else share his experience and comment on the convenience,
        > > sharpness, etc. of the zoom lens verses, an 8mm Sigma fisheye, for
        > instance?
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance for sharing your advice.
        > >
        > > --
        > > --Peter
        > >
        > > Peter A. Schaible
        > >

        > > ------------------------------------
        > >
        > > --

      • Scott Witte
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 13, 2011
          On 7/2/2011 9:40 AM, Peter A. Schaible wrote:
          > ...PENTAX_DA_10-17mm_F3.5-4.5_ED_(IF)_Fish-Eye/
          >
          > I rented this lens and it required six around for a 360 pano when used
          > at 10 mm.

          Strange. I use this lens at 12mm routinely. I always shoot just four
          around on my Canon 1Ds. The only time I shoot more is when there is a
          lot of action around me where people are moving a lot. I rarely do much
          retouching except on nadir and zenith. If the zenith is important I will
          shoot that. Otherwise a quick retouch with the healing brush does the
          trick and sometimes even that isn't needed. So it's really surprising
          that you would need six around at 10mm on a FF camera.

          --
          Scott

          <http://www.scottwitte.com>
          <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
          414.345.9660
          Member, IVRPA

        • Peter A. Schaible
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 13, 2011
            You use a Pentax fisheye lens on a Canon 1Ds?

            I was using it on a Pentax K-7. Could that explain it?

            --
            --Peter

            Peter A. Schaible
          • Scott Witte
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 13, 2011
              The tokina 10-17 and the Pentax 10-17 are the same lens, by my
              understanding, just different mounts. The Tokina is available for Canon
              and Nikon, at least.

              Your subject line refers to "lens for the 5Dmk2", which is a FF camera
              like the 1Ds. If the K-7 is less then FF that would explain why more
              than 4 images around are needed.

              Scott

              On 8/13/2011 8:37 PM, Peter A. Schaible wrote:
              > You use a Pentax fisheye lens on a Canon 1Ds?
              >
              > I was using it on a Pentax K-7. Could that explain it?
              >

              > On 8/13/2011 8:23 PM, Scott Witte wrote:
              >> On 7/2/2011 9:40 AM, Peter A. Schaible wrote:
              >>> ...PENTAX_DA_10-17mm_F3.5-4.5_ED_(IF)_Fish-Eye/
              >>>
              >>> I rented this lens and it required six around for a 360 pano when used
              >>> at 10 mm.
              >> Strange. I use this lens at 12mm routinely. I always shoot just four
              >> around on my Canon 1Ds. The only time I shoot more is when there is a
              >> lot of action around me where people are moving a lot. I rarely do much
              >> retouching except on nadir and zenith. If the zenith is important I will
              >> shoot that. Otherwise a quick retouch with the healing brush does the
              >> trick and sometimes even that isn't needed. So it's really surprising
              >> that you would need six around at 10mm on a FF camera.

              --
              Scott Witte

              <http://www.scottwitte.com>
              <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
              414.345.9660
              Member, IVRPA

            • Blake Michaelson
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 13, 2011
                Scott - is that tokina shaved (is that a requirement?) - got any
                favorite samples to show?

                On Aug 13, 2011, at 19:10, Scott Witte <scottw@...> wrote:

                > The tokina 10-17 and the Pentax 10-17 are the same lens, by my
                > understanding, just different mounts. The Tokina is available for
                > Canon
                > and Nikon, at least.
                >
                > Your subject line refers to "lens for the 5Dmk2", which is a FF camera
                > like the 1Ds. If the K-7 is less then FF that would explain why more
                > than 4 images around are needed.
                >
                > Scott
                >
                > On 8/13/2011 8:37 PM, Peter A. Schaible wrote:
                > > You use a Pentax fisheye lens on a Canon 1Ds?
                > >
                > > I was using it on a Pentax K-7. Could that explain it?

                > when used
                > >> Strange. I use this lens at 12mm routinely. I always shoot just
                > four
                > >> around on my Canon 1Ds. The only time I shoot more is when there
                > is a
                > >> lot of action around me where people are moving a lot. I rarely
                > do much
                > >> retouching except on nadir and zenith. If the zenith is important
                > I will
                > >> shoot that. Otherwise a quick retouch with the healing brush does
                > the
                > >> trick and sometimes even that isn't needed. So it's really
                > surprising
                > >> that you would need six around at 10mm on a FF camera.
                > >>

                > --
                > Scott Witte
                >
                > <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                > 414.345.9660
                > Member, IVRPA

              • Scott Witte
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 13, 2011
                  Shaved. Yes, of course. You need to do that for full frame.

                  As for samples, much of what is on my site, such as Taliesin
                  <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/taliesin/>, Fireworks
                  <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/fireworks2010/>, Madison Protests
                  <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/madison_protest/>.

                  Scott

                  --
                  Scott Witte

                  <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                  <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                  414.345.9660
                  Member, IVRPA

                • Greg Voisan
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 14, 2011
                    Scott:

                    I just recently upgraded to a 5DMKII + shaved Tokina 10-17mm. Do you shoot
                    - or + any degrees for your 4 around panos or are you straight on the 90
                    degree setting?

                    Thanks for your advice.

                    Greg

                    On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Scott Witte <scottw@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Shaved. Yes, of course. You need to do that for full frame.
                    >
                    > As for samples, much of what is on my site, such as Taliesin
                    > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/taliesin/>, Fireworks
                    > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/fireworks2010/>, Madison Protests
                    > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/madison_protest/>.
                    >
                    > Scott
                    >

                    > On 8/13/2011 9:26 PM, Blake Michaelson wrote:
                    > > Scott - is that tokina shaved (is that a requirement?) - got any
                    > > favorite samples to show?
                    > >

                    > --
                    > Scott Witte
                    >
                    > <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                    > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                    > 414.345.9660
                    > Member, IVRPA

                  • Scott Witte
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 14, 2011
                      I shoot at 90 degrees to just slightly up. If I loose a little bit of
                      the base it won't make much difference but a little extra overlap at the
                      zenith and I might get away with no retouching there.

                      Scott

                      On 8/14/2011 9:37 PM, Greg Voisan wrote:
                      > Scott:
                      >
                      > I just recently upgraded to a 5DMKII + shaved Tokina 10-17mm. Do you shoot
                      > - or + any degrees for your 4 around panos or are you straight on the 90
                      > degree setting?
                      >
                      > Thanks for your advice.
                      >
                      > Greg
                      >

                      > On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Scott Witte<scottw@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> **
                      >>

                      >> Shaved. Yes, of course. You need to do that for full frame.
                      >>
                      >> As for samples, much of what is on my site, such as Taliesin
                      >> <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/taliesin/>, Fireworks
                      >> <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/fireworks2010/>, Madison Protests
                      >> <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/madison_protest/>.
                      >>
                      >> Scott
                      >>

                      >> On 8/13/2011 9:26 PM, Blake Michaelson wrote:
                      >>> Scott - is that tokina shaved (is that a requirement?) - got any
                      >>> favorite samples to show?
                      >>>
                      >> --
                      >> Scott Witte
                      >>
                      >> <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                      >> <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                      >> 414.345.9660
                      >> Member, IVRPA

                      Scott Witte

                      <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                      <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                      414.345.9660
                      Member, IVRPA

                    • 1drey
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 15, 2011
                        Andrey,

                        My two cents - give a close look to the shaved (naturally) Sigma 10. In my opinion it is superior to Nikkor 10,5 in sharpness uniformity, contrast and flare control. Equal in center shaprness. Better bulit.

                        I use it exclusively for my VR stuff over a year. Extremely pleased with it's performance.

                        Probably will get a new 8-15 Canon's zoom - for shooting in situations when higher resolution is required.

                        Andrey

                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bodrov <rey@...> wrote:

                        > Hi all!
                        >
                        > Perhaps this question has already been asked 1,000 times, but I want
                        > to ask one more time: what is the best fisheye lens for Canon 5D
                        > MarkII? (except Nikkor 8mm f/2.8 AI ;)
                        >
                        > I need to get maximum quality with a maximum angle of coverage for a
                        > single shot.
                        >
                        > I welcome any advice!
                        >

                        > Cheers,
                        >
                        > Andrew Bodrov @ http://360pano.eu