Re: New Guy Getting Started

  • dorindxn
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2011
      Yes, Erik is absolutelly right the stitched 3D panoramas are more difficult than the stitchless,

      Before to do the stitchless 3D panos with two cameras, back in march 2008, I presented here
      http://www.3dphoto.net/forum/index.php/topic,1238.0.html
      my idea to take 3D panoramas with a single camera and NodalNinja 3, at that time I was producing only the stitched kind of 3D panos.

      cheers,
      Dorin
      http://www.livepanoramas.com

      > Am 02.07.2011 01:11, schrieb markgambier:
      > > New to the group here and looking for some tips on getting started.
      >
      > Welcome!
      >
      > > - Which stitchware do people recommend for a novice photographer/pano
      > > maker? This is going to be a hobby, not a profession. But I don't
      > > want to work with dated, low-level software that lacks some decent
      > > capabilities and features either.
      >
      > If you are going to stitch spherical panoramas you are limited to a
      > small number of programs: hugin, PTGui, autopano pro and Autodesk
      > Stitcher are the main ones. I guess most members here use hugin and PTGui.
      >
      > > - What is the best number of photos to take and at what angle to make
      > > a good 360 x 360 spherical pano?
      >
      > There is nothing like a 360°x360° spherical. 360° by 180° define a
      > sphere completely. The number of images you need depends on the used
      > lens and camera. The best tradeoff between number of images and final
      > resolution you get with a fisheye lens which covers the full frame of
      > your particular camera. This would be about 10mm focal length for a
      > APS-C sized DSLR or about 15mm for a full frame DSLR. There are fisheye
      > adapters for compact cameras as well.
      >
      > > - I want to shoot the inside of a 60' by 30'room with a 12' ceiling.
      > > Do I just need to make sure there is plenty of overlap from side to
      > > side and top to bottom for each picture?
      >
      > You need to use a well set up spherical panorama head (a pan-tilt head)
      > in order to shoot all images from the same point (called the
      > no-parallax-point). Otherwise you get parallax between adjacent images
      > which will give you a hard time stitching the images or render the
      > result even completely unusable.
      >
      > > - Is some stitchware better for spherical panos vs cylinder?
      >
      > There are numerous panorama stitchers but only the above mentioned are
      > versatile enough to stitch all kinds of panoramas - including spherical.
      >
      > > Also, does anyone have any experience in 3D/anaglyph (red/cyan)
      > > panos? I have a FujiFilm 3D Stereo W1 camera which is pretty much a
      > > point and shoot and have seen 3D panos before. Think it would be fun
      > > to make.
      >
      > 3D spherical panoramas are a challenge, at least the stitched variant
      > (Dorin has developped a way to use them stitchless). Definitely nothing
      > for the beginner. But once you have managed to get reasonable results
      > with normal sphericals you can find much knowledge here. Especially Wim
      > Koorneef has a lot of experience.
      >
      > As a starting point perhaps you have a look at: http://wiki.panotools.org/
      >
      > A nice collection of tutorials can be found on
      > http://www.johnhpanos.com/tuts.htm
      > and specifically for PTGui on
      > http://www.ptgui.com/examples/
      >
      > Have fun
      > --
      > Erik Krause
      > http://www.erik-krause.de

    • panovrx
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2011
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

        > Yes, Erik is absolutelly right the stitched 3D panoramas are more difficult than the stitchless,
        >

        > cheers,
        > Dorin
        > http://www.livepanoramas.com

        Well I dont know if that is right. New Sony compacts which have the 3D Sweep panorama feature make 3d panoramas with just a wave of the camera through the air. Though they are not spherical or 360.

        If you have an accurate indexing panorama head and an accurate level though it is pretty simple I think to make stitched stereo 360 panoramas -- of static scenes at least -- with one or two cameras, so long as you shoot enough pairs at small enough rotation increments.

        Dorin is the only one I am aware of making 3d stitchless panoramas and my understanding is it requires a good working knowledge of
        Krpano scripting to put them online. (But they are great to look at!)

        PeterM
      • dorindxn
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2011
          Hi Peter, I realize now that my post could be misleading.

          The follows are OT but could explain something

          Due to the fact that I only press the button of my camera and the panos are on-line 10 (now 2.5) minutes later, I'm wearing a notebook in backpack and I have (same as Rudolph) a vodafone changing color nose, well is not nose, more is like heart :) .
          I also have a card reader and need to select the photos on my camera prior to insert the card, I could let the software to do the selection as well but sometimes I judge better.
          When I take stereo, the left camera's photos is read through usb wire, the software knows based on exif form which camera the photos comes, so I can use the card reader for the left camera as well.

          For me is hard to imagine something simplier, and as I do 3D stitche panos as well, the stitching and retouching for 3D seems more dificult.

          I reduced my offer (due to lack of interest at that time) to use of my stitchless method from "anyone can" only to news photo agency with need of at least 1000 panos in a year, after some arangement$ made by both parties (me and that agency)

          I posted those links to 3Ds as OP looks like didn't saw such 3D panos.

          I started this innovation several yaers ago asking Fiero, the best developer I know, for some improovements in DevalVR, the start was in little steps starting with a single cube face from a single fish eye image, then 6 cubes, then 36. As I didin't had a fish-eye lens I then ask for help requiring (or as someone better putted in words, begging for) images, wich images I received in no time and the first stitchess panos were online with photos from UK to as far as Australia
          and at Panotools 2009 here in Timisoara I covered the event with such panos.
          At that time Jeffrey who has better contact with Klaus than me,contacted Klaus and my method was ported in krpano's scripts, at that time a beta version of krpano, so I continued dto display them in krpano's flash due to the much larger audience than DevalVR.

          Due to professional courtesy I'll not insist on advantages of the stitchless over the stitched panos, as I'm the only one doing them.

          After years of development the stichless become so powerfull, interesting and everyday changing, (I'm using a version of the software dated yesturday) and at one of the yearly panotools meetings (will not be Vienna next month due to lack of funds) I'll make a presentations of the stitchless technicue From fish eye to gigapixel images from computer display to print, from arts, social events and crime scenes to Mars - still waiting some answers from NASA for the last one -
          Due to above said some of the very latest developments (gigapixels, so on) aren't online at this moment and will not be util that presentation. I'm sure many of you couldn't belive that some are possible from first place hope that is not offending for anyoane but only describe how some "panocons" in stitchless are turned in "panopros" like the tollerance to parallax whih allows 3D, but again, I'll not insist.

          BTW as I'm not making money from panos I'm using a 2004 camera and a fish eye donated by members of the Panoguide, the greatest forum about panoramas as this is the greatest mail list, and for 3D with 2 cameras I need to borrow the second combo.

          cheers,
          Dorin
          http://www.livepanoramas.com