Re: Anyone use a small netbook with remote software?

  • jefffreymartin
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2011
      You'd also think that the camera companies (ALL of them) might wake up and stop being so hopeless. :( the limitations of the software inside cameras really is sad in my opinion.

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Blake Michaelson <blake.michaelson@...> wrote:

      > You would think that somebody would have built an iPhone app that would
      > solve the AEB deficiencies/limitations - allowing one to use a Canon or
      > Nikon specific cable to iPhone interface - no need to capture the images via
      > USB, just an app to bypass on-camera AEB and store them on the CF... any
      > takers, I'd be happy to help fund this on Kickstarter.com!
      >
      > On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Hans <hans@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@> wrote:

      > > the bracketing?
      > > >
      > > > As a USB master device to control the camera and trigger more bracketed
      > > shots than can be done using the camera's own controls. For example making
      > > Nikon cameras do more than one exposure step per shot or making Canon
      > > cameras do more than three shots.
      > > >

      > > Using the DSLR Remote Pro software you can do this and you do not even need
      > > to download the images to the laptop.
      > >
      > > I just tried it with my MacBook Air and it works perfect.
      > >
      > > Here is a tip.
      > > Just use a mouse as remote.
      > > Place the netbook between the tripod legs. You just need to place the
      > > cursor above the trigger button . You can then release the bracketing shots
      > > from any place with the mouse.
      > >
      > > Hans

    • Roger D Williams
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2011
        On Jul 2, 2011, at 3:12 AM, Christian Bloch <Blochi@...> wrote:

        > Personally, I don't like tethering laptops or netbooks in the field, because it introduces another source of things going wrong. Although Rogers setup looks very compelling. A cheaper alternative to DSLR Remote Pro is Smartshooter: www.hartcw.com That one is fully scriptable and lets you do more crazy things like FTP upload, maybe even fire a batch stitch. For Nikons, the best looking app I found is free and combines exposures to HDR right away. www.sofortbildapp.com

        Wow, Blochi, that certainly is a good looking app, and funded by voluntary donations? that is also most impressive. My wife is driving me crazy using my PC and complaining that it doesn't work like the MAC she uses at the office, so I am thinking of getting her a low-spec MAC Air. Then perhaps I can take my turn driving HER crazy... I would certainly want to try sofortbildapp!

        Roger W.
      • Christian Bloch
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 2, 2011
          Yeah, from what I could gather this app started as a student project, and now this guy actually got hired by Apple, they moved him from Germany to California. It's one of these inspiring stories where doing what you love, and doing it really good, and then giving it away for free opens more doors than if you tried to build a business out of it and go for the money...

          On Jul 1, 2011, at 8:36 PM, Roger D Williams wrote:

          > Wow, Blochi, that certainly is a good looking app, and funded by voluntary donations? that is also most impressive. My wife is driving me crazy using my PC and complaining that it doesn't work like the MAC she uses at the office, so I am thinking of getting her a low-spec MAC Air. Then perhaps I can take my turn driving HER crazy... I would certainly want to try sofortbildapp!

        • Bostjan Burger
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 2, 2011
            And nice example of the Brain drain. The German society invested to the expert which US got for free. It is easy to be rich getting something for free... ;) We invented the globalisation but only in the way the Mr. or MS. Capital want.
            Excuse me my OT.

            Bostjan