Re: Anyone use a small netbook with remote software?

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
      Hi Bostjan.

      I'm sure you know what it's like carrying all your gear around either on a job or while on holiday. The netbook (with additional software) acts as something to control the bracketing that Canon decided to leave off the 5D MK II, it's 250gb hard drive is a peace of mind backup drive as I always like duplicates of raw files until the 360 image is completed, and the regular laptop can stay at home as I can also check emails and browse the web.

      Plus you have a larger 'live view' on the netbook screen.

      Thankfully the popularity of tablets is bringing the netbook prices down to under $250 and some of these tablets are heavier than the netbooks.

      Sacha also mentioned the Promote Remote earlier for $300 that looks excellent but unfortunately is a one task device so even more to carry.

      Andrew
    • Christian Bloch
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2011
        The problem is, that the iPhone does not have a real USB controller chip, so even with the camera kit it can only download images, but not encode and send any controlling signals. I doubt we will see a Kickstarter project of a real USB-controller-dongle, because that would require Apple's approval (unlikely) or lots of money to for legal fees.

        We're having the Open Camera Controller (OCC) project over at www.hdrlabs.com/occ , that uses a Nintendo DS for bracketing. Can build it yourself for about $80 total (cheaper if you already have a board to load programs on he Arduino microcontroller), or you can order one from forum member Achim who has a more experience with the solder iron. But it's limited so far to releasing timed exposures in bulb mode. So, it's slower than the Promote and doesn't have as wide of a bracketing range. There are side branches of adding a USB chip, and a very recent push to take the project off the Nintendo platform into the iOS and Android world.

        Personally, I don't like tethering laptops or netbooks in the field, because it introduces another source of things going wrong. Although Rogers setup looks very compelling. A cheaper alternative to DSLR Remote Pro is Smartshooter: www.hartcw.com That one is fully scriptable and lets you do more crazy things like FTP upload, maybe even fire a batch stitch. For Nikons, the best looking app I found is free and combines exposures to HDR right away. www.sofortbildapp.com

        Best,
        Blochi

        On Jun 30, 2011, at 12:43 PM, Blake Michaelson wrote:

        > You would think that somebody would have built an iPhone app that would
        > solve the AEB deficiencies/limitations - allowing one to use a Canon or
        > Nikon specific cable to iPhone interface - no need to capture the images via
        > USB, just an app to bypass on-camera AEB and store them on the CF... any
        > takers, I'd be happy to help fund this on Kickstarter.com!

      • Christian Bloch
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 1, 2011
          Forgot to mention: The premium price for the Promote is actually offset by its unique connection style. It changes camera parameters over USB, but triggers the shot via an additional remote release cable. That makes it faster than either single one of these connections, including any USB-tethered netbook.
          BTW - forum member Kelly Bellis just posted a similar custom field bracket, but with the Promote: http://www.hdrlabs.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1309361628/0
        • jefffreymartin
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 1, 2011
            You'd also think that the camera companies (ALL of them) might wake up and stop being so hopeless. :( the limitations of the software inside cameras really is sad in my opinion.

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Blake Michaelson <blake.michaelson@...> wrote:

            > You would think that somebody would have built an iPhone app that would
            > solve the AEB deficiencies/limitations - allowing one to use a Canon or
            > Nikon specific cable to iPhone interface - no need to capture the images via
            > USB, just an app to bypass on-camera AEB and store them on the CF... any
            > takers, I'd be happy to help fund this on Kickstarter.com!
            >
            > On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Hans <hans@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@> wrote:

            > > the bracketing?
            > > >
            > > > As a USB master device to control the camera and trigger more bracketed
            > > shots than can be done using the camera's own controls. For example making
            > > Nikon cameras do more than one exposure step per shot or making Canon
            > > cameras do more than three shots.
            > > >

            > > Using the DSLR Remote Pro software you can do this and you do not even need
            > > to download the images to the laptop.
            > >
            > > I just tried it with my MacBook Air and it works perfect.
            > >
            > > Here is a tip.
            > > Just use a mouse as remote.
            > > Place the netbook between the tripod legs. You just need to place the
            > > cursor above the trigger button . You can then release the bracketing shots
            > > from any place with the mouse.
            > >
            > > Hans

          • Roger D Williams
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 1, 2011
              On Jul 2, 2011, at 3:12 AM, Christian Bloch <Blochi@...> wrote:

              > Personally, I don't like tethering laptops or netbooks in the field, because it introduces another source of things going wrong. Although Rogers setup looks very compelling. A cheaper alternative to DSLR Remote Pro is Smartshooter: www.hartcw.com That one is fully scriptable and lets you do more crazy things like FTP upload, maybe even fire a batch stitch. For Nikons, the best looking app I found is free and combines exposures to HDR right away. www.sofortbildapp.com

              Wow, Blochi, that certainly is a good looking app, and funded by voluntary donations? that is also most impressive. My wife is driving me crazy using my PC and complaining that it doesn't work like the MAC she uses at the office, so I am thinking of getting her a low-spec MAC Air. Then perhaps I can take my turn driving HER crazy... I would certainly want to try sofortbildapp!

              Roger W.
            • Christian Bloch
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 2, 2011
                Yeah, from what I could gather this app started as a student project, and now this guy actually got hired by Apple, they moved him from Germany to California. It's one of these inspiring stories where doing what you love, and doing it really good, and then giving it away for free opens more doors than if you tried to build a business out of it and go for the money...

                On Jul 1, 2011, at 8:36 PM, Roger D Williams wrote:

                > Wow, Blochi, that certainly is a good looking app, and funded by voluntary donations? that is also most impressive. My wife is driving me crazy using my PC and complaining that it doesn't work like the MAC she uses at the office, so I am thinking of getting her a low-spec MAC Air. Then perhaps I can take my turn driving HER crazy... I would certainly want to try sofortbildapp!

              • Bostjan Burger
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 2, 2011
                  And nice example of the Brain drain. The German society invested to the expert which US got for free. It is easy to be rich getting something for free... ;) We invented the globalisation but only in the way the Mr. or MS. Capital want.
                  Excuse me my OT.

                  Bostjan