Re: [PanoToolsNG] A better fisheye lens for the 5Dmk2?

  • AYRTON
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
      Andrew
      Try a shaved Tokina 10-17mm and use it at 12mm

      maybe you like it.
      I do :-)

      Best
      AYRTON

      On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 7:26 PM, Andrew Bodrov <rey@...> wrote:

      > Forget to say: I have Canon EF 16-35mm F2,8 L II USM and old Sigma 8mm F4
      > EX
      >
      > I'm looking for new (and best) fisheye.
      >

      > Andrew
      >

      > Friday, July 1, 2011, 12:51:40 AM, you wrote:
      >
      > > I've been pretty pleased with my Zenitar 16mm on my 5DmkII -
      > > http://media.twirltour.com/groatpoint/tour.html - although I too am
      > curious
      > > if there is a better solution...
      >
      > > On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Andrew Bodrov <rey@...> wrote:
      >
      > >> **
      > >>

      > >> Hi all!
      > >>
      > >> Perhaps this question has already been asked 1,000 times, but I want
      > >> to ask one more time: what is the best fisheye lens for Canon 5D
      > >> MarkII? (except Nikkor 8mm f/2.8 AI ;)
      > >>
      > >> I need to get maximum quality with a maximum angle of coverage for a
      > >> single shot.
      > >>
      > >> I welcome any advice!
      > >>
      > >> Cheers,
      > >>
      > >> Andrew Bodrov @ http://360pano.eu

      + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
      + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
      http://ayrton360.com
      twitter.com/ayrton360

    • rj_profile2004
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1 8:09 AM
        Ayrton:

        Have you seen this one? (new and old are "new" to me)

        http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761633-REG/Tokina_ATX107DXNH_AT_X_107_AF_DX.html

        seems to have mitigated the necessity of shaving the lens.

        I too am in the market for a better lens/setup from my 5DMk2. Currently with 15mm FFF and looking for options.

        Thanks
        Rusty

        > Andrew
        > Try a shaved Tokina 10-17mm and use it at 12mm
        >
        > maybe you like it.
        > I do :-)
        >
        > Best
        > AYRTON

      • AYRTON
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 1 12:02 PM
          On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 12:09 PM, rj_profile2004 <4x9@...> wrote:

          > Ayrton:
          > Have you seen this one? (new and old are "new" to me)
          >
          > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761633-REG/Tokina_ATX107DXNH_AT_X_107_AF_DX.html
          > seems to have mitigated the necessity of shaving the lens.

          YES
          I saw last month
          And I still did not understand HOW or WHO did this :-0
          because it is available only at B&H
          Not even at Tokina's website I could not find this "shaved" version of the
          lens ?!?!

          :-)
          best regards
          AYRTON

          PS: on your domain, the images shwoing up on the first page are GREAT!!!
          Congratzsss

          > I too am in the market for a better lens/setup from my 5DMk2. Currently
          > with 15mm FFF and looking for options.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Rusty
          >
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Andrew
          > > Try a shaved Tokina 10-17mm and use it at 12mm
          > >
          > > maybe you like it.
          > > I do :-)
          > >
          > > Best
          > > AYRTON

          + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
          + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
          http://ayrton360.com
          twitter.com/ayrton360

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 1 2:01 PM
            Am 01.07.2011 17:09, schrieb rj_profile2004:
            > I too am in the market for a better lens/setup from my 5DMk2.
            > Currently with 15mm FFF and looking for options.

            Perhaps you wait another month: "Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM lens
            is scheduled to be available in late July 2011"

            (from Canon USA: http://tinyurl.com/5rcubxs )

          • rj_profile2004
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 1 2:58 PM
              > best regards
              > AYRTON
              >
              > PS: on your domain, the images showing up on the first page are GREAT!!!
              > Congratzsss

              Many thanks... still configuring my web site. No panoramas on there either!

              I agree with Erik, best wait for the new lens from Canon. I have had my eye on it for months... then the earthquake/tsunami hit, so longer!

              I hope they are recovering and production is coming back to the new schedule.

              Rj.
            • Peter A. Schaible
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 2 7:40 AM
                How do these 10-17 zoom lenses compare with dedicated 8mm or 10mm
                fisheye lenses when making panos and 360 VRs?

                Pentax make one, too:

                http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/smc_PENTAX_DA_10-17mm_F3.5-4.5_ED_(IF)_Fish-Eye/

                I rented this lens and it required six around for a 360 pano when used
                at 10 mm.

                Can anyone else share his experience and comment on the convenience,
                sharpness, etc. of the zoom lens verses, an 8mm Sigma fisheye, for instance?

                Thanks in advance for sharing your advice.

                --
                --Peter

                Peter A. Schaible
              • Bostjan Burger
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 2 12:15 PM
                  My Sigma 8 mm F4 is noticeable sharper on my Nikon DX than Tokina 10-17 on my Canon FF. But in this class of lenses the lense quality  is a lottery.
                  Best fisheye lense I had for panography was Nikkor 10.5 (I still have it), but nowadays I mostly use Canon 15 mm. I always take pictures with RAW. The main is reason to correct CA.

                  Bostjan

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 2 8:55 PM
                    I have the Pentax version of this lens, and also possess the Sigma 8mm f/3.5 and the Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8.

                    It is true that the Sigma can get by very nicely with four around, and that at 10mm or 10.5 it takes six around, and even then requires a little extra work to cover zenith and/or nadir (either an extra shot or some cloning).

                    My very subjective judgement is that the Nikon provides marginally the best resolution, but the Pentax comes very close and has a lovely image quality. The Sigma comes a very close third, but of course that may party be because the trade-off for the added convenience of a four-shot workflow is a lower pixel count in the final image.

                    A visual comparison between the panoramas produced with the three lenses reveals almost nothing to choose between them. I love the light and convenient Pentax K-x I use with the zoom fisheye, but I hate having to take six shots, and usually find myself using the Peleng 8mm on it instead. This is a good lens, but has weaknesses that bring it (again in my personal opinion) into fourth place with a slightly larger gap than there is between the other three. Still very good, though. Flare is the main problem but I've found various ways to minimize that...

                    Roger W.

                    Sent from my iPad

                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 12, 2011
                      Andrew - did you ever come up with a "best" lens for use with the 5DmkII?

                      On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Roger D Williams <roger@...>wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > I have the Pentax version of this lens, and also possess the Sigma 8mm
                      > f/3.5 and the Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8.
                      >
                      > It is true that the Sigma can get by very nicely with four around, and that
                      > at 10mm or 10.5 it takes six around, and even then requires a little extra
                      > work to cover zenith and/or nadir (either an extra shot or some cloning).
                      >
                      > My very subjective judgement is that the Nikon provides marginally the best
                      > resolution, but the Pentax comes very close and has a lovely image quality.
                      > The Sigma comes a very close third, but of course that may party be because
                      > the trade-off for the added convenience of a four-shot workflow is a lower
                      > pixel count in the final image.
                      >
                      > A visual comparison between the panoramas produced with the three lenses
                      > reveals almost nothing to choose between them. I love the light and
                      > convenient Pentax K-x I use with the zoom fisheye, but I hate having to take
                      > six shots, and usually find myself using the Peleng 8mm on it instead. This
                      > is a good lens, but has weaknesses that bring it (again in my personal
                      > opinion) into fourth place with a slightly larger gap than there is between
                      > the other three. Still very good, though. Flare is the main problem but I've
                      > found various ways to minimize that...
                      >
                      > Roger W.
                      >
                      > Sent from my iPad
                      >

                      > On Jul 2, 2011, at 11:40 PM, "Peter A. Schaible" <peter@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > How do these 10-17 zoom lenses compare with dedicated 8mm or 10mm
                      > > fisheye lenses when making panos and 360 VRs?
                      > >
                      > > Pentax make one, too:
                      > >

                      > http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/smc_PENTAX_DA_10-17mm_F3.5-4.5_ED_
                      > (IF)_Fish-Eye/
                      > >
                      > > I rented this lens and it required six around for a 360 pano when used
                      > > at 10 mm.
                      > >
                      > > Can anyone else share his experience and comment on the convenience,
                      > > sharpness, etc. of the zoom lens verses, an 8mm Sigma fisheye, for
                      > instance?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks in advance for sharing your advice.
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > > --Peter
                      > >
                      > > Peter A. Schaible
                      > >

                      > > ------------------------------------
                      > >
                      > > --

                    • Scott Witte
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 13, 2011
                        On 7/2/2011 9:40 AM, Peter A. Schaible wrote:
                        > ...PENTAX_DA_10-17mm_F3.5-4.5_ED_(IF)_Fish-Eye/
                        >
                        > I rented this lens and it required six around for a 360 pano when used
                        > at 10 mm.

                        Strange. I use this lens at 12mm routinely. I always shoot just four
                        around on my Canon 1Ds. The only time I shoot more is when there is a
                        lot of action around me where people are moving a lot. I rarely do much
                        retouching except on nadir and zenith. If the zenith is important I will
                        shoot that. Otherwise a quick retouch with the healing brush does the
                        trick and sometimes even that isn't needed. So it's really surprising
                        that you would need six around at 10mm on a FF camera.

                        --
                        Scott

                        <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                        <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                        414.345.9660
                        Member, IVRPA

                      • Peter A. Schaible
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 13, 2011
                          You use a Pentax fisheye lens on a Canon 1Ds?

                          I was using it on a Pentax K-7. Could that explain it?

                          --
                          --Peter

                          Peter A. Schaible
                        • Scott Witte
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 13, 2011
                            The tokina 10-17 and the Pentax 10-17 are the same lens, by my
                            understanding, just different mounts. The Tokina is available for Canon
                            and Nikon, at least.

                            Your subject line refers to "lens for the 5Dmk2", which is a FF camera
                            like the 1Ds. If the K-7 is less then FF that would explain why more
                            than 4 images around are needed.

                            Scott

                            On 8/13/2011 8:37 PM, Peter A. Schaible wrote:
                            > You use a Pentax fisheye lens on a Canon 1Ds?
                            >
                            > I was using it on a Pentax K-7. Could that explain it?
                            >

                            > On 8/13/2011 8:23 PM, Scott Witte wrote:
                            >> On 7/2/2011 9:40 AM, Peter A. Schaible wrote:
                            >>> ...PENTAX_DA_10-17mm_F3.5-4.5_ED_(IF)_Fish-Eye/
                            >>>
                            >>> I rented this lens and it required six around for a 360 pano when used
                            >>> at 10 mm.
                            >> Strange. I use this lens at 12mm routinely. I always shoot just four
                            >> around on my Canon 1Ds. The only time I shoot more is when there is a
                            >> lot of action around me where people are moving a lot. I rarely do much
                            >> retouching except on nadir and zenith. If the zenith is important I will
                            >> shoot that. Otherwise a quick retouch with the healing brush does the
                            >> trick and sometimes even that isn't needed. So it's really surprising
                            >> that you would need six around at 10mm on a FF camera.

                            --
                            Scott Witte

                            <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                            <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                            414.345.9660
                            Member, IVRPA

                          • Blake Michaelson
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 13, 2011
                              Scott - is that tokina shaved (is that a requirement?) - got any
                              favorite samples to show?

                              On Aug 13, 2011, at 19:10, Scott Witte <scottw@...> wrote:

                              > The tokina 10-17 and the Pentax 10-17 are the same lens, by my
                              > understanding, just different mounts. The Tokina is available for
                              > Canon
                              > and Nikon, at least.
                              >
                              > Your subject line refers to "lens for the 5Dmk2", which is a FF camera
                              > like the 1Ds. If the K-7 is less then FF that would explain why more
                              > than 4 images around are needed.
                              >
                              > Scott
                              >
                              > On 8/13/2011 8:37 PM, Peter A. Schaible wrote:
                              > > You use a Pentax fisheye lens on a Canon 1Ds?
                              > >
                              > > I was using it on a Pentax K-7. Could that explain it?

                              > when used
                              > >> Strange. I use this lens at 12mm routinely. I always shoot just
                              > four
                              > >> around on my Canon 1Ds. The only time I shoot more is when there
                              > is a
                              > >> lot of action around me where people are moving a lot. I rarely
                              > do much
                              > >> retouching except on nadir and zenith. If the zenith is important
                              > I will
                              > >> shoot that. Otherwise a quick retouch with the healing brush does
                              > the
                              > >> trick and sometimes even that isn't needed. So it's really
                              > surprising
                              > >> that you would need six around at 10mm on a FF camera.
                              > >>

                              > --
                              > Scott Witte
                              >
                              > <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                              > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                              > 414.345.9660
                              > Member, IVRPA

                            • Scott Witte
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 13, 2011
                                Shaved. Yes, of course. You need to do that for full frame.

                                As for samples, much of what is on my site, such as Taliesin
                                <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/taliesin/>, Fireworks
                                <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/fireworks2010/>, Madison Protests
                                <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/madison_protest/>.

                                Scott

                                --
                                Scott Witte

                                <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                                <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                                414.345.9660
                                Member, IVRPA

                              • Greg Voisan
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 14, 2011
                                  Scott:

                                  I just recently upgraded to a 5DMKII + shaved Tokina 10-17mm. Do you shoot
                                  - or + any degrees for your 4 around panos or are you straight on the 90
                                  degree setting?

                                  Thanks for your advice.

                                  Greg

                                  On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Scott Witte <scottw@...> wrote:

                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > Shaved. Yes, of course. You need to do that for full frame.
                                  >
                                  > As for samples, much of what is on my site, such as Taliesin
                                  > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/taliesin/>, Fireworks
                                  > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/fireworks2010/>, Madison Protests
                                  > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/madison_protest/>.
                                  >
                                  > Scott
                                  >

                                  > On 8/13/2011 9:26 PM, Blake Michaelson wrote:
                                  > > Scott - is that tokina shaved (is that a requirement?) - got any
                                  > > favorite samples to show?
                                  > >

                                  > --
                                  > Scott Witte
                                  >
                                  > <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                                  > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                                  > 414.345.9660
                                  > Member, IVRPA

                                • Scott Witte
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 14, 2011
                                    I shoot at 90 degrees to just slightly up. If I loose a little bit of
                                    the base it won't make much difference but a little extra overlap at the
                                    zenith and I might get away with no retouching there.

                                    Scott

                                    On 8/14/2011 9:37 PM, Greg Voisan wrote:
                                    > Scott:
                                    >
                                    > I just recently upgraded to a 5DMKII + shaved Tokina 10-17mm. Do you shoot
                                    > - or + any degrees for your 4 around panos or are you straight on the 90
                                    > degree setting?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks for your advice.
                                    >
                                    > Greg
                                    >

                                    > On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Scott Witte<scottw@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> **
                                    >>

                                    >> Shaved. Yes, of course. You need to do that for full frame.
                                    >>
                                    >> As for samples, much of what is on my site, such as Taliesin
                                    >> <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/taliesin/>, Fireworks
                                    >> <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/fireworks2010/>, Madison Protests
                                    >> <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/madison_protest/>.
                                    >>
                                    >> Scott
                                    >>

                                    >> On 8/13/2011 9:26 PM, Blake Michaelson wrote:
                                    >>> Scott - is that tokina shaved (is that a requirement?) - got any
                                    >>> favorite samples to show?
                                    >>>
                                    >> --
                                    >> Scott Witte
                                    >>
                                    >> <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                                    >> <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                                    >> 414.345.9660
                                    >> Member, IVRPA

                                    Scott Witte

                                    <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                                    <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
                                    414.345.9660
                                    Member, IVRPA

                                  • 1drey
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 15, 2011
                                      Andrey,

                                      My two cents - give a close look to the shaved (naturally) Sigma 10. In my opinion it is superior to Nikkor 10,5 in sharpness uniformity, contrast and flare control. Equal in center shaprness. Better bulit.

                                      I use it exclusively for my VR stuff over a year. Extremely pleased with it's performance.

                                      Probably will get a new 8-15 Canon's zoom - for shooting in situations when higher resolution is required.

                                      Andrey

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Aug 15, 2011
                                        Uh.... make that 0 degrees...

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Aug 15, 2011