Re: Anyone use a small netbook with remote software?

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
      Many thanks for the replies.

      The local Best Buy store here in Vancouver had a special on for a Samsung Netbook for $230 plus taxes. Couldn't really say no at that price.

      It will do the bracketing job, is very light and can replace my full size laptop while on vacation.

      Andrew
    • Mark D. Fink
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
        Maybe I missed part of the thread, but what are you using on the Netbook to
        control the camera? Is it a Canon camera? I have a 5D Mk II, and would
        really like the extra control for bracketing AND also use that device for a
        second purpose - travel laptop.

        Thanks,

        Mark

        www.northernlight.net
        www.virtual-travels.com
        www.pinnacle-vr.com

      • Bostjan Burger
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
          I don't understant... in what way would you like to use the Netbook for the bracketing?
          Due the poor processor netbooks are good only for the communication with home when traveling. I still have my 10 years old IBM T23 and it is with better performance with its WIndows 2000 than new netbooks with Vista (sure I might be wrong...anyway it use it now my 6 years old daugter for the e-learning). If you have a good idea how to use netbook or Mac Air (lol ...I bought it as Willy convinced me with the "Art sentence") directly with the outdoor work I would be glad to hear that.
          $230 is realy a bargain but isn't that a very normal price for netbooks...

          Bostjan

          ________________________________
          The local Best Buy store here in Vancouver had a special on for a Samsung Netbook for $230 plus taxes. Couldn't really say no at that price.

          It will do the bracketing job, is very light and can replace my full size laptop while on vacation.

          Andrew

        • Ian Wood
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
            On 30 Jun 2011, at 19:33, Bostjan Burger wrote:

            > I don't understant... in what way would you like to use the Netbook for the bracketing?

            As a USB master device to control the camera and trigger more bracketed shots than can be done using the camera's own controls. For example making Nikon cameras do more than one exposure step per shot or making Canon cameras do more than three shots.

            Ian
          • Hans
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

              > On 30 Jun 2011, at 19:33, Bostjan Burger wrote:
              >
              > > I don't understant... in what way would you like to use the Netbook for the bracketing?
              >
              > As a USB master device to control the camera and trigger more bracketed shots than can be done using the camera's own controls. For example making Nikon cameras do more than one exposure step per shot or making Canon cameras do more than three shots.

              Using the DSLR Remote Pro software you can do this and you do not even need to download the images to the laptop.

              I just tried it with my MacBook Air and it works perfect.

              Here is a tip.
              Just use a mouse as remote.
              Place the netbook between the tripod legs. You just need to place the cursor above the trigger button . You can then release the bracketing shots from any place with the mouse.

              Hans
            • Bostjan Burger
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                That seems very interesting (!!!). What software do you use? (Is it name "DSLR Remote Pro software"). I would like to try Mac Air and Canon 5DMK2 combo. I am really missing Nikon bracketing.

                Bostjan

                ________________________________
                > On 30 Jun 2011, at 19:33, Bostjan Burger wrote:
                >
                > > I don't understant... in what way would you like to use the Netbook for the bracketing?
                >
                > As a USB master device to control the camera and trigger more bracketed shots than can be done using the camera's own controls. For example making Nikon cameras do more than one exposure step per shot or making Canon cameras do more than three shots.

                Using the DSLR Remote Pro software you can do this and you do not even need to download the images to the laptop.

                I just tried it with my MacBook Air and it works perfect.

                Here is a tip.
                Just use a mouse as remote.
                Place the netbook between the tripod legs. You just need to place the cursor above the trigger button . You can then release the bracketing shots from any place with the mouse.

              • Fernando Chaves
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                  Bostjan Burger wrote:
                  > I don't understant... in what way would you like to use the Netbook for
                  > the bracketing?

                  Hi,
                  You can, for example, connect a Canon or Nikon camera to the USB port,
                  using DSR Remote Pro, control the camera from the computer, check the view
                  finder on computer screen, and auto-bracket up to 15 shots at 1/2, 1/3, 1
                  or more f stops increment.
                  Best regards,
                  Fernando
                • Blake Michaelson
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                    You would think that somebody would have built an iPhone app that would
                    solve the AEB deficiencies/limitations - allowing one to use a Canon or
                    Nikon specific cable to iPhone interface - no need to capture the images via
                    USB, just an app to bypass on-camera AEB and store them on the CF... any
                    takers, I'd be happy to help fund this on Kickstarter.com!

                    On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Hans <hans@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > On 30 Jun 2011, at 19:33, Bostjan Burger wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > I don't understant... in what way would you like to use the Netbook for
                    > the bracketing?
                    > >
                    > > As a USB master device to control the camera and trigger more bracketed
                    > shots than can be done using the camera's own controls. For example making
                    > Nikon cameras do more than one exposure step per shot or making Canon
                    > cameras do more than three shots.
                    > >

                    > Using the DSLR Remote Pro software you can do this and you do not even need
                    > to download the images to the laptop.
                    >
                    > I just tried it with my MacBook Air and it works perfect.
                    >
                    > Here is a tip.
                    > Just use a mouse as remote.
                    > Place the netbook between the tripod legs. You just need to place the
                    > cursor above the trigger button . You can then release the bracketing shots
                    > from any place with the mouse.
                    >
                    > Hans

                  • Bostjan Burger
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                      With the Nikon I didn't have a need for such a solution but now with Canon is very good idea -realy.
                      Thnx,

                      Bostjan

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                        Hi Bostjan.

                        I'm sure you know what it's like carrying all your gear around either on a job or while on holiday. The netbook (with additional software) acts as something to control the bracketing that Canon decided to leave off the 5D MK II, it's 250gb hard drive is a peace of mind backup drive as I always like duplicates of raw files until the 360 image is completed, and the regular laptop can stay at home as I can also check emails and browse the web.

                        Plus you have a larger 'live view' on the netbook screen.

                        Thankfully the popularity of tablets is bringing the netbook prices down to under $250 and some of these tablets are heavier than the netbooks.

                        Sacha also mentioned the Promote Remote earlier for $300 that looks excellent but unfortunately is a one task device so even more to carry.

                        Andrew
                      • Christian Bloch
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 1, 2011
                          The problem is, that the iPhone does not have a real USB controller chip, so even with the camera kit it can only download images, but not encode and send any controlling signals. I doubt we will see a Kickstarter project of a real USB-controller-dongle, because that would require Apple's approval (unlikely) or lots of money to for legal fees.

                          We're having the Open Camera Controller (OCC) project over at www.hdrlabs.com/occ , that uses a Nintendo DS for bracketing. Can build it yourself for about $80 total (cheaper if you already have a board to load programs on he Arduino microcontroller), or you can order one from forum member Achim who has a more experience with the solder iron. But it's limited so far to releasing timed exposures in bulb mode. So, it's slower than the Promote and doesn't have as wide of a bracketing range. There are side branches of adding a USB chip, and a very recent push to take the project off the Nintendo platform into the iOS and Android world.

                          Personally, I don't like tethering laptops or netbooks in the field, because it introduces another source of things going wrong. Although Rogers setup looks very compelling. A cheaper alternative to DSLR Remote Pro is Smartshooter: www.hartcw.com That one is fully scriptable and lets you do more crazy things like FTP upload, maybe even fire a batch stitch. For Nikons, the best looking app I found is free and combines exposures to HDR right away. www.sofortbildapp.com

                          Best,
                          Blochi

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 1, 2011
                            Forgot to mention: The premium price for the Promote is actually offset by its unique connection style. It changes camera parameters over USB, but triggers the shot via an additional remote release cable. That makes it faster than either single one of these connections, including any USB-tethered netbook.
                            BTW - forum member Kelly Bellis just posted a similar custom field bracket, but with the Promote: http://www.hdrlabs.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1309361628/0
                          • jefffreymartin
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 1, 2011
                              You'd also think that the camera companies (ALL of them) might wake up and stop being so hopeless. :( the limitations of the software inside cameras really is sad in my opinion.

                              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Blake Michaelson <blake.michaelson@...> wrote:

                              > You would think that somebody would have built an iPhone app that would
                              > solve the AEB deficiencies/limitations - allowing one to use a Canon or
                              > Nikon specific cable to iPhone interface - no need to capture the images via
                              > USB, just an app to bypass on-camera AEB and store them on the CF... any
                              > takers, I'd be happy to help fund this on Kickstarter.com!
                              >
                              > On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Hans <hans@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@> wrote:

                              > > the bracketing?
                              > > >
                              > > > As a USB master device to control the camera and trigger more bracketed
                              > > shots than can be done using the camera's own controls. For example making
                              > > Nikon cameras do more than one exposure step per shot or making Canon
                              > > cameras do more than three shots.
                              > > >

                              > > Using the DSLR Remote Pro software you can do this and you do not even need
                              > > to download the images to the laptop.
                              > >
                              > > I just tried it with my MacBook Air and it works perfect.
                              > >
                              > > Here is a tip.
                              > > Just use a mouse as remote.
                              > > Place the netbook between the tripod legs. You just need to place the
                              > > cursor above the trigger button . You can then release the bracketing shots
                              > > from any place with the mouse.
                              > >
                              > > Hans

                            • Roger D Williams
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 1, 2011
                                On Jul 2, 2011, at 3:12 AM, Christian Bloch <Blochi@...> wrote:

                                > Personally, I don't like tethering laptops or netbooks in the field, because it introduces another source of things going wrong. Although Rogers setup looks very compelling. A cheaper alternative to DSLR Remote Pro is Smartshooter: www.hartcw.com That one is fully scriptable and lets you do more crazy things like FTP upload, maybe even fire a batch stitch. For Nikons, the best looking app I found is free and combines exposures to HDR right away. www.sofortbildapp.com

                                Wow, Blochi, that certainly is a good looking app, and funded by voluntary donations? that is also most impressive. My wife is driving me crazy using my PC and complaining that it doesn't work like the MAC she uses at the office, so I am thinking of getting her a low-spec MAC Air. Then perhaps I can take my turn driving HER crazy... I would certainly want to try sofortbildapp!

                                Roger W.
                              • Christian Bloch
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 2, 2011
                                  Yeah, from what I could gather this app started as a student project, and now this guy actually got hired by Apple, they moved him from Germany to California. It's one of these inspiring stories where doing what you love, and doing it really good, and then giving it away for free opens more doors than if you tried to build a business out of it and go for the money...

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 2, 2011
                                    And nice example of the Brain drain. The German society invested to the expert which US got for free. It is easy to be rich getting something for free... ;) We invented the globalisation but only in the way the Mr. or MS. Capital want.
                                    Excuse me my OT.

                                    Bostjan