Any one has first hand experience with this levelling adapter?

  • dorindxn
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 27, 2011
      Hi all
      is a Levelling Adapter 33° Ø 100 mm/4 from Berlebach
      http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=22&sprache=english

      I want to use it as levelling base for a Fanotec Series 2 Complete, its main job will be, besides to level the pole, to keep the camera(1-2.5 kg) on pole at 1,2m by it self, and I want to adapt a pedal (actionable by foot) to the adjustable friction knob, so I 'll very much appreciate if one can tell me if that knob needs more than 180° to release/secure the ball. BTW the ball diametter is 10cm.

      thanks,
      Dorin
      http://www.livepanoramas.com
    • Hans
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 28, 2011
        From the images you can see that the big knob sticking far out will be very annoying in the nadir.
        Hans Klop

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

        > Hi all
        > is a Levelling Adapter 33° Ø 100 mm/4 from Berlebach
        > http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=22&sprache=english
        >
        > I want to use it as levelling base for a Fanotec Series 2 Complete, its main job will be, besides to level the pole, to keep the camera(1-2.5 kg) on pole at 1,2m by it self, and I want to adapt a pedal (actionable by foot) to the adjustable friction knob, so I 'll very much appreciate if one can tell me if that knob needs more than 180° to release/secure the ball. BTW the ball diametter is 10cm.
        >
        > thanks,
        > Dorin
        > http://www.livepanoramas.com

      • Thomas Bredenfeld
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 28, 2011
          i'm using a berlebach with a smaller ball (55 mm diam. /
          http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=303&sprache=english).

          holds very good, even with heavier equipment (e.g. Canon 7D + 100-400 L
          + big novoflex head). with liftable central column the big nadir foot
          print can be reduced. absolutely no problem i think, when you mount a
          pole on top.

          i don't think you can mount a pedal on the tightening screw. it needs
          definitely more than 180 deg to fix the ball.

          but what about setting the pole foot on a reliable arca swiss plate and
          place a quickmount on this big ball. i think rrs or novoflex should be
          strong enough for that.

          thomas

          Am 28.06.11 15:27, schrieb Hans:
          > From the images you can see that the big knob sticking far out will be
          > very annoying in the nadir.
          > Hans Klop
          >
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all
          > > is a Levelling Adapter 33° Ø 100 mm/4 from Berlebach
          > > http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=22&sprache=english
          > <http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=22&sprache=english>
          > >
          > > I want to use it as levelling base for a Fanotec Series 2 Complete,
          > its main job will be, besides to level the pole, to keep the
          > camera(1-2.5 kg) on pole at 1,2m by it self, and I want to adapt a pedal
          > (actionable by foot) to the adjustable friction knob, so I 'll very much
          > appreciate if one can tell me if that knob needs more than 180° to
          > release/secure the ball. BTW the ball diametter is 10cm.
          > >
          > > thanks,
          > > Dorin
          > > http://www.livepanoramas.com

        • dorindxn
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 28, 2011
            Hello Hans, using the Fanotec Serises 2 Complete on it the camera will be as far as 1.2 m up to 6 m away from this levelling adapter.

            cheers,
            Dorin
            http://www.livepanoramas.com

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <nieuws@...> wrote:

            > From the images you can see that the big knob sticking far out will be very annoying in the nadir.
            > Hans Klop
            >
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all
            > > is a Levelling Adapter 33° Ø 100 mm/4 from Berlebach
            > > http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=22&sprache=english
            > >
            > > I want to use it as levelling base for a Fanotec Series 2 Complete, its main job will be, besides to level the pole, to keep the camera(1-2.5 kg) on pole at 1,2m by it self, and I want to adapt a pedal (actionable by foot) to the adjustable friction knob, so I 'll very much appreciate if one can tell me if that knob needs more than 180° to release/secure the ball. BTW the ball diametter is 10cm.
            > >
            > > thanks,
            > > Dorin
            > > http://www.livepanoramas.com

          • dorindxn
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 28, 2011
              Thank you Thomas, so I'll need for a reduction for the pedal,.. hmm that will increase the cost for a prototype,

              I'll try to use it only as a protoype, the final product as I sugested to Fanotec, could be something which look like this.
              http://www.livepanoramas.com/NN/pole_base.jpg

              The purpose is to provide a better gripp to the pole, at the base.

              I'm using now an arca swiss plate, I have made several thousands of pole of panos that way, but this setup i try to buid sould be a better one.

              cheers,
              Dorin
              http://www.livepanoramas.com

              > i'm using a berlebach with a smaller ball (55 mm diam. /
              > http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=303&sprache=english).
              >
              > holds very good, even with heavier equipment (e.g. Canon 7D + 100-400 L
              > + big novoflex head). with liftable central column the big nadir foot
              > print can be reduced. absolutely no problem i think, when you mount a
              > pole on top.
              >
              > i don't think you can mount a pedal on the tightening screw. it needs
              > definitely more than 180 deg to fix the ball.
              >
              > but what about setting the pole foot on a reliable arca swiss plate and
              > place a quickmount on this big ball. i think rrs or novoflex should be
              > strong enough for that.
              >
              > thomas
              >
              > Am 28.06.11 15:27, schrieb Hans:
              > > From the images you can see that the big knob sticking far out will be
              > > very annoying in the nadir.
              > > Hans Klop
              > >
              > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
              > > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "dorindxn" <Dorin@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi all
              > > > is a Levelling Adapter 33° Ø 100 mm/4 from Berlebach
              > > > http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=22&sprache=english
              > > <http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=22&sprache=english>
              > > >
              > > > I want to use it as levelling base for a Fanotec Series 2 Complete,
              > > its main job will be, besides to level the pole, to keep the
              > > camera(1-2.5 kg) on pole at 1,2m by it self, and I want to adapt a pedal
              > > (actionable by foot) to the adjustable friction knob, so I 'll very much
              > > appreciate if one can tell me if that knob needs more than 180° to
              > > release/secure the ball. BTW the ball diametter is 10cm.
              > > >
              > > > thanks,
              > > > Dorin
              > > > http://www.livepanoramas.com

            • jrgen_schrader
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 28, 2011
                If I understand this correctly you want to use the adapter at the bottom of a pole.
                In this case you should not underestimate the leverage forces and try to find out how high they are and what are the technical specs from Berlebach.

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

                > Hi all
                > is a Levelling Adapter 33° Ø 100 mm/4 from Berlebach
                > http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=22&sprache=english
                >
                > I want to use it as levelling base for a Fanotec Series 2 Complete, its main job will be, besides to level the pole, to keep the camera(1-2.5 kg) on pole at 1,2m by it self, and I want to adapt a pedal (actionable by foot) to the adjustable friction knob, so I 'll very much appreciate if one can tell me if that knob needs more than 180° to release/secure the ball. BTW the ball diametter is 10cm.
                >
                > thanks,
                > Dorin
                > http://www.livepanoramas.com

              • dorindxn
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 28, 2011
                  Thanks for reply.
                  I'll not underestimate those forces, if I'll be in doubth I'll ask for help from my beautiful wife, she has master degree in physics.

                  Back to panos I'll use my experience on the field in this stuff, it already look like a usefull addition to poles.

                  cheers,
                  Dorin
                  http://www.livepanoramas.com

                  > If I understand this correctly you want to use the adapter at the bottom of a pole.
                  > In this case you should not underestimate the leverage forces and try to find out how high they are and what are the technical specs from Berlebach.
                  >
                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi all
                  > > is a Levelling Adapter 33° Ø 100 mm/4 from Berlebach
                  > > http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=22&sprache=english
                  > >
                  > > I want to use it as levelling base for a Fanotec Series 2 Complete, its main job will be, besides to level the pole, to keep the camera(1-2.5 kg) on pole at 1,2m by it self, and I want to adapt a pedal (actionable by foot) to the adjustable friction knob, so I 'll very much appreciate if one can tell me if that knob needs more than 180° to release/secure the ball. BTW the ball diametter is 10cm.
                  > >
                  > > thanks,
                  > > Dorin
                  > > http://www.livepanoramas.com

                • panovrx
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 28, 2011
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "dorindxn" <Dorin@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for reply.
                    > I'll not underestimate those forces, if I'll be in doubth I'll ask for help from my beautiful wife, she has master degree in physics.
                    >
                    > Back to panos I'll use my experience on the field in this stuff, it already look like a usefull addition to poles.
                    >
                    > cheers,
                    > Dorin
                    > http://www.livepanoramas.com
                    >

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > If I understand this correctly you want to use the adapter at the bottom of a pole.
                    > > In this case you should not underestimate the leverage forces and try to find out how high they are and what are the technical specs from Berlebach.

                    I would be more worried about the pole fracturing.

                    http://www.mediavr.com/levellingbase.jpg
                    I use here a couple of Manfrotto pole clamps at the base about 16cm apart to secure the pole. In your proposed rig the levelling head looks pretty robust but maybe you need some spread out clamping like this to damp pole vibration and provide mechanical support for the pole.

                    PeterM
                  • dorindxn
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 28, 2011
                      Hi Peter,

                      Looks like you didn't saw my drawing, that must be because that message didn't do to your e-mail box (or to mine, at least) maybe I'm moderated or smth.

                      The pole will go through the big ball into a cylindric hole
                      that drawing again
                      http://www.livepanoramas.com/NN/pole_base.jpg
                      the inside tube, ballbarrings, so on.. aren't represented in the drawing.

                      However as I said, is not ment to keep by itself the pole fully extended.

                      thanks for the reply
                      Dorin
                      http://www.livepanoramas.com