OT avoiding spam

  • Roger D Williams
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 25, 2011
      If anyone has read past the title , I wonder what the received wisdom is these days about clicking on the "remove" button to remove oneself from a spammer's list? It used to be that the spam multiplied. Is that still true? I get a lot of spam these days that seems related to my membership of this list. And a different set that comes from an address I use for a web data storage service.

      Roger W.

      Sent from my iPad
    • Trausti Hraunfjord
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 25, 2011
        In the past, spam-bots would have "feelers" ... so if one sent a
        "unsubscribe" mail back to a spam "service", it would confirm that your
        account was in use, and you would get more and more spam as a result.

        If today's technology still allows for it, we can count on it still being in
        use. For the NG list I use an old Yahoo mail account, but for the posting I
        us my private Gmail account... I have a lot against Google, but the spam
        catching system they have is very effective. Yahoo on the other hand is
        selling my otherwise unused email address to spammers, so I get a lot of
        spam in Spanish into the otherwise unused yahoo account. Haven't used it
        for mail in 11-12 years, so the only source for providing the account info
        (including my location being Peru), is Yahoo themselves.

        For my own domain based emails, I use paid anti spam services, and those
        work very well. In the past I have lost private domain accounts due to spam
        (over 1000 spam mails per day on average... until I simply closed the
        accounts).

        For forums and mail lists, I would highly recommend using Gmail... it would
        shield your private mail from getting flooded with spam if (when) things go
        bad.

        Trausti

        On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 7:30 PM, Roger D Williams <roger@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > If anyone has read past the title , I wonder what the received wisdom is
        > these days about clicking on the "remove" button to remove oneself from a
        > spammer's list? It used to be that the spam multiplied. Is that still true?
        > I get a lot of spam these days that seems related to my membership of this
        > list. And a different set that comes from an address I use for a web data
        > storage service.
        >
        > Roger W.
        >
        > Sent from my iPad

      • Roger D Williams
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 26, 2011
          On Jun 26, 2011, at 9:42 AM, Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:

          > In the past, spam-bots would have "feelers" ... so if one sent a
          > "unsubscribe" mail back to a spam "service", it would confirm that your
          > account was in use, and you would get more and more spam as a result.
          >
          > If today's technology still allows for it, we can count on it still being in
          > use. For the NG list I use an old Yahoo mail account, but for the posting I
          > us my private Gmail account... I have a lot against Google, but the spam
          > catching system they have is very effective. Yahoo on the other hand is
          > selling my otherwise unused email address to spammers, so I get a lot of
          > spam in Spanish into the otherwise unused yahoo account. Haven't used it
          > for mail in 11-12 years, so the only source for providing the account info
          > (including my location being Peru), is Yahoo themselves.
          >
          > For my own domain based emails, I use paid anti spam services, and those
          > work very well. In the past I have lost private domain accounts due to spam
          > (over 1000 spam mails per day on average... until I simply closed the
          > accounts).
          >
          > For forums and mail lists, I would highly recommend using Gmail... it would
          > shield your private mail from getting flooded with spam if (when) things go
          > bad.

          Thank you Trausti. Your experience rings a bell with me, as I recently started using a Yahoo mail account and shortly afterwards the wave of spam started breaking over my head. Back to Gmail it is!

          Roger W.
        • Ronald
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 26, 2011
            You can also let Gmail handle your domain mail. See http://smarterware.org/3628/host-your-domain-email-at-gmail-without-forwarding
            It will cost you $50 p/y and you'll have the same (dis)advantages as with a 'normal' gmail account.

            Ronald
          • Sacha Griffin
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 26, 2011
              Basic gmail for domains is still free.
              My server used to use 60% CPU for spam. Now I have dozens of businesses
              setup for gmail and a super fast server.

              Sent from my iPad

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 26, 2011
                On Jun 26, 2011, at 10:26 PM, "Ronald" <sjomp13@...> wrote:

                > You can also let Gmail handle your domain mail. See http://smarterware.org/3628/host-your-domain-email-at-gmail-without-forwarding
                > It will cost you $50 p/y and you'll have the same (dis)advantages as with a 'normal' gmail account.

                Thanks, Ronald. I didn't know that. If I start getting lots of spam on my company domain Email address I will consider that.

                Roger W.
              • Roger D Williams
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 26, 2011
                  On Jun 26, 2011, at 11:17 PM, Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                  > Basic gmail for domains is still free.
                  > My server used to use 60% CPU for spam. Now I have dozens of businesses
                  > setup for gmail and a super fast server.
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPad
                  >
                  > On Jun 26, 2011, at 9:26 AM, Ronald <sjomp13@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > You can also let Gmail handle your domain mail. See
                  > http://smarterware.org/3628/host-your-domain-email-at-gmail-without-forwarding
                  > It will cost you $50 p/y and you'll have the same (dis)advantages as with a
                  > 'normal' gmail account.

                  I thought this was pretty cool when Ronald said it cost $50 a year, bur free is even better!

                  I suppose the $50 is for certain extra-value services... I will definitely look into this.

                  Roger W.