Anyone use a small netbook with remote software?

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 25, 2011
      Hi,

      I have a trial version of DSLR Remote Pro that works on my regular laptop for firing the shutter with up to 9 bracket stops. My 5D MKII only offers 3 stops which is pretty disappointing. I know there are techniques out there for taking more using C1, C2 & C3 but I'm a clumsy bugger and don't want to be turning dials during the shoot. I also read up about Magic Lantern for creating the but the info mentions that the Camera must be in Av, Tv or P modes (not M).

      I was wondering if anyone in this group has tried using a small netbook to run software such as DSLR Remote Pro? Perhaps there are some good models out there under US$300 with a reasonable battery life?

      I would still want to write the images directly to the CF Card as they are super fast but I must admit a 250mb hard drive would be handy to back up on to also while out on location plus the screen could display the live view. Don't need Photoshop, etc.

      Thanks,

      Andrew
    • Sacha Griffin
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 25, 2011
        Just get a promote a be done with big equipment.

        Sacha Griffin
        http://www.seeit360.net
        http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
        http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/
        IM: sachagriffin007@...
        Office: 404-551-4275
        GV: 404-665-9990

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 25, 2011
          Thanks Sacha, I'd never even heard of the promote before and it looks like it does the job well.

          Funds are limited so I still might look into the 'small' netbooks though as it can replace carrying around my laptop just to back up images and check emails.

          Andrew

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

          > Just get a promote a be done with big equipment.
          >
          > Sacha Griffin
          > http://www.seeit360.net
          > http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
          > http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/
          > IM: sachagriffin007@...
          > Office: 404-551-4275
          > GV: 404-665-9990
          >

          > On Jun 25, 2011, at 4:52 PM, "Andrew" <conanthedestroya222@...>
          > wrote:
          >

          > Hi,
          >
          > I have a trial version of DSLR Remote Pro that works on my regular laptop
          > for firing the shutter with up to 9 bracket stops. My 5D MKII only offers 3
          > stops which is pretty disappointing. I know there are techniques out there
          > for taking more using C1, C2 & C3 but I'm a clumsy bugger and don't want to
          > be turning dials during the shoot. I also read up about Magic Lantern for
          > creating the but the info mentions that the Camera must be in Av, Tv or P
          > modes (not M).
          >
          > I was wondering if anyone in this group has tried using a small netbook to
          > run software such as DSLR Remote Pro? Perhaps there are some good models out
          > there under US$300 with a reasonable battery life?
          >
          > I would still want to write the images directly to the CF Card as they are
          > super fast but I must admit a 250mb hard drive would be handy to back up on
          > to also while out on location plus the screen could display the live view.
          > Don't need Photoshop, etc.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Andrew

        • hdrv
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 26, 2011
            Le 26 juin 11 à 00:51, Andrew a écrit :

            > My 5D MKII only offers 3 stops which is pretty disappointing.

            Lucky man. My 5D mk2 has +2 -2, no more.
            Did I missed something ?

            Romuald
          • onezebra1
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 26, 2011
              I used this setup with DSLR Remote Pro with my iPhone to control the netbook.
              http://www.indiavrtours.com/pic/equipment4.jpg
              The thing I don't like about DSLR Remote Pro is it only hooks up to the camera with a USP cable and is rather slow.

              I like the Promote much better, it uses a USP cable and a shutter cable, works very fast and is also a nice small size.

              Roger Berry
            • mrjimbo
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 26, 2011
                Andrew,
                If your only after bracketing Sacha's advise is really sound.. The other side of it is even though net books are inexpensive most are pretty limited in their capabilities. I have an Asus Netbook... dual core machine that is not as inexpensive at the other but it is functional for me as a field unit that runs for 8 hours of continued use and has a little larger screen (12.1) .It even has USB 3... awesome video for a little guy. Most of the "work " programs are loaded on it and it handles it all acceptably for a field unit. Very compact and light.. I am very pleased with it so far.. Your software also does stacking which is a great feature if one uses it.. If it's about simply saving a buck.. just put your existing laptop in a back pack of sorts.. The basic netbooks have to many short comings. Now if we could do this with an iPod...well that would make my day..

                jimbo
                Thanks Sacha, I'd never even heard of the promote before and it looks like it does the job well.

                Funds are limited so I still might look into the 'small' netbooks though as it can replace carrying around my laptop just to back up images and check emails.

                Andrew

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Sacha Griffin <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

                > Just get a promote a be done with big equipment.
                >
                > Sacha Griffin
                > http://www.seeit360.net
                > http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
                > http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/
                > IM: sachagriffin007@...
                > Office: 404-551-4275
                > GV: 404-665-9990
                >

                > On Jun 25, 2011, at 4:52 PM, "Andrew" <conanthedestroya222@...>
                > wrote:
                >

                > Hi,
                >
                > I have a trial version of DSLR Remote Pro that works on my regular laptop
                > for firing the shutter with up to 9 bracket stops. My 5D MKII only offers 3
                > stops which is pretty disappointing. I know there are techniques out there
                > for taking more using C1, C2 & C3 but I'm a clumsy bugger and don't want to
                > be turning dials during the shoot. I also read up about Magic Lantern for
                > creating the but the info mentions that the Camera must be in Av, Tv or P
                > modes (not M).
                >
                > I was wondering if anyone in this group has tried using a small netbook to
                > run software such as DSLR Remote Pro? Perhaps there are some good models out
                > there under US$300 with a reasonable battery life?
                >
                > I would still want to write the images directly to the CF Card as they are
                > super fast but I must admit a 250mb hard drive would be handy to back up on
                > to also while out on location plus the screen could display the live view.
                > Don't need Photoshop, etc.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Andrew

              • Andrew
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                  Many thanks for the replies.

                  The local Best Buy store here in Vancouver had a special on for a Samsung Netbook for $230 plus taxes. Couldn't really say no at that price.

                  It will do the bracketing job, is very light and can replace my full size laptop while on vacation.

                  Andrew
                • Mark D. Fink
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                    Maybe I missed part of the thread, but what are you using on the Netbook to
                    control the camera? Is it a Canon camera? I have a 5D Mk II, and would
                    really like the extra control for bracketing AND also use that device for a
                    second purpose - travel laptop.

                    Thanks,

                    Mark

                    www.northernlight.net
                    www.virtual-travels.com
                    www.pinnacle-vr.com

                  • Bostjan Burger
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                      I don't understant... in what way would you like to use the Netbook for the bracketing?
                      Due the poor processor netbooks are good only for the communication with home when traveling. I still have my 10 years old IBM T23 and it is with better performance with its WIndows 2000 than new netbooks with Vista (sure I might be wrong...anyway it use it now my 6 years old daugter for the e-learning). If you have a good idea how to use netbook or Mac Air (lol ...I bought it as Willy convinced me with the "Art sentence") directly with the outdoor work I would be glad to hear that.
                      $230 is realy a bargain but isn't that a very normal price for netbooks...

                      Bostjan

                      ________________________________
                      The local Best Buy store here in Vancouver had a special on for a Samsung Netbook for $230 plus taxes. Couldn't really say no at that price.

                      It will do the bracketing job, is very light and can replace my full size laptop while on vacation.

                      Andrew

                    • Ian Wood
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                        On 30 Jun 2011, at 19:33, Bostjan Burger wrote:

                        > I don't understant... in what way would you like to use the Netbook for the bracketing?

                        As a USB master device to control the camera and trigger more bracketed shots than can be done using the camera's own controls. For example making Nikon cameras do more than one exposure step per shot or making Canon cameras do more than three shots.

                        Ian
                      • Hans
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

                          > On 30 Jun 2011, at 19:33, Bostjan Burger wrote:
                          >
                          > > I don't understant... in what way would you like to use the Netbook for the bracketing?
                          >
                          > As a USB master device to control the camera and trigger more bracketed shots than can be done using the camera's own controls. For example making Nikon cameras do more than one exposure step per shot or making Canon cameras do more than three shots.

                          Using the DSLR Remote Pro software you can do this and you do not even need to download the images to the laptop.

                          I just tried it with my MacBook Air and it works perfect.

                          Here is a tip.
                          Just use a mouse as remote.
                          Place the netbook between the tripod legs. You just need to place the cursor above the trigger button . You can then release the bracketing shots from any place with the mouse.

                          Hans
                        • Bostjan Burger
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                            That seems very interesting (!!!). What software do you use? (Is it name "DSLR Remote Pro software"). I would like to try Mac Air and Canon 5DMK2 combo. I am really missing Nikon bracketing.

                            Bostjan

                            ________________________________
                            > On 30 Jun 2011, at 19:33, Bostjan Burger wrote:
                            >
                            > > I don't understant... in what way would you like to use the Netbook for the bracketing?
                            >
                            > As a USB master device to control the camera and trigger more bracketed shots than can be done using the camera's own controls. For example making Nikon cameras do more than one exposure step per shot or making Canon cameras do more than three shots.

                            Using the DSLR Remote Pro software you can do this and you do not even need to download the images to the laptop.

                            I just tried it with my MacBook Air and it works perfect.

                            Here is a tip.
                            Just use a mouse as remote.
                            Place the netbook between the tripod legs. You just need to place the cursor above the trigger button . You can then release the bracketing shots from any place with the mouse.

                          • Fernando Chaves
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                              Bostjan Burger wrote:
                              > I don't understant... in what way would you like to use the Netbook for
                              > the bracketing?

                              Hi,
                              You can, for example, connect a Canon or Nikon camera to the USB port,
                              using DSR Remote Pro, control the camera from the computer, check the view
                              finder on computer screen, and auto-bracket up to 15 shots at 1/2, 1/3, 1
                              or more f stops increment.
                              Best regards,
                              Fernando
                            • Blake Michaelson
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                                You would think that somebody would have built an iPhone app that would
                                solve the AEB deficiencies/limitations - allowing one to use a Canon or
                                Nikon specific cable to iPhone interface - no need to capture the images via
                                USB, just an app to bypass on-camera AEB and store them on the CF... any
                                takers, I'd be happy to help fund this on Kickstarter.com!

                                On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Hans <hans@...> wrote:

                                > **
                                >

                                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > On 30 Jun 2011, at 19:33, Bostjan Burger wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > I don't understant... in what way would you like to use the Netbook for
                                > the bracketing?
                                > >
                                > > As a USB master device to control the camera and trigger more bracketed
                                > shots than can be done using the camera's own controls. For example making
                                > Nikon cameras do more than one exposure step per shot or making Canon
                                > cameras do more than three shots.
                                > >

                                > Using the DSLR Remote Pro software you can do this and you do not even need
                                > to download the images to the laptop.
                                >
                                > I just tried it with my MacBook Air and it works perfect.
                                >
                                > Here is a tip.
                                > Just use a mouse as remote.
                                > Place the netbook between the tripod legs. You just need to place the
                                > cursor above the trigger button . You can then release the bracketing shots
                                > from any place with the mouse.
                                >
                                > Hans

                              • Bostjan Burger
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                                  With the Nikon I didn't have a need for such a solution but now with Canon is very good idea -realy.
                                  Thnx,

                                  Bostjan

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 30, 2011
                                    Hi Bostjan.

                                    I'm sure you know what it's like carrying all your gear around either on a job or while on holiday. The netbook (with additional software) acts as something to control the bracketing that Canon decided to leave off the 5D MK II, it's 250gb hard drive is a peace of mind backup drive as I always like duplicates of raw files until the 360 image is completed, and the regular laptop can stay at home as I can also check emails and browse the web.

                                    Plus you have a larger 'live view' on the netbook screen.

                                    Thankfully the popularity of tablets is bringing the netbook prices down to under $250 and some of these tablets are heavier than the netbooks.

                                    Sacha also mentioned the Promote Remote earlier for $300 that looks excellent but unfortunately is a one task device so even more to carry.

                                    Andrew
                                  • Christian Bloch
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 1, 2011
                                      The problem is, that the iPhone does not have a real USB controller chip, so even with the camera kit it can only download images, but not encode and send any controlling signals. I doubt we will see a Kickstarter project of a real USB-controller-dongle, because that would require Apple's approval (unlikely) or lots of money to for legal fees.

                                      We're having the Open Camera Controller (OCC) project over at www.hdrlabs.com/occ , that uses a Nintendo DS for bracketing. Can build it yourself for about $80 total (cheaper if you already have a board to load programs on he Arduino microcontroller), or you can order one from forum member Achim who has a more experience with the solder iron. But it's limited so far to releasing timed exposures in bulb mode. So, it's slower than the Promote and doesn't have as wide of a bracketing range. There are side branches of adding a USB chip, and a very recent push to take the project off the Nintendo platform into the iOS and Android world.

                                      Personally, I don't like tethering laptops or netbooks in the field, because it introduces another source of things going wrong. Although Rogers setup looks very compelling. A cheaper alternative to DSLR Remote Pro is Smartshooter: www.hartcw.com That one is fully scriptable and lets you do more crazy things like FTP upload, maybe even fire a batch stitch. For Nikons, the best looking app I found is free and combines exposures to HDR right away. www.sofortbildapp.com

                                      Best,
                                      Blochi

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 1, 2011
                                        Forgot to mention: The premium price for the Promote is actually offset by its unique connection style. It changes camera parameters over USB, but triggers the shot via an additional remote release cable. That makes it faster than either single one of these connections, including any USB-tethered netbook.
                                        BTW - forum member Kelly Bellis just posted a similar custom field bracket, but with the Promote: http://www.hdrlabs.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1309361628/0
                                      • jefffreymartin
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 1, 2011
                                          You'd also think that the camera companies (ALL of them) might wake up and stop being so hopeless. :( the limitations of the software inside cameras really is sad in my opinion.

                                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Blake Michaelson <blake.michaelson@...> wrote:

                                          > You would think that somebody would have built an iPhone app that would
                                          > solve the AEB deficiencies/limitations - allowing one to use a Canon or
                                          > Nikon specific cable to iPhone interface - no need to capture the images via
                                          > USB, just an app to bypass on-camera AEB and store them on the CF... any
                                          > takers, I'd be happy to help fund this on Kickstarter.com!
                                          >
                                          > On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Hans <hans@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > **
                                          > >

                                          > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@> wrote:

                                          > > the bracketing?
                                          > > >
                                          > > > As a USB master device to control the camera and trigger more bracketed
                                          > > shots than can be done using the camera's own controls. For example making
                                          > > Nikon cameras do more than one exposure step per shot or making Canon
                                          > > cameras do more than three shots.
                                          > > >

                                          > > Using the DSLR Remote Pro software you can do this and you do not even need
                                          > > to download the images to the laptop.
                                          > >
                                          > > I just tried it with my MacBook Air and it works perfect.
                                          > >
                                          > > Here is a tip.
                                          > > Just use a mouse as remote.
                                          > > Place the netbook between the tripod legs. You just need to place the
                                          > > cursor above the trigger button . You can then release the bracketing shots
                                          > > from any place with the mouse.
                                          > >
                                          > > Hans

                                        • Roger D Williams
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 1, 2011
                                            On Jul 2, 2011, at 3:12 AM, Christian Bloch <Blochi@...> wrote:

                                            > Personally, I don't like tethering laptops or netbooks in the field, because it introduces another source of things going wrong. Although Rogers setup looks very compelling. A cheaper alternative to DSLR Remote Pro is Smartshooter: www.hartcw.com That one is fully scriptable and lets you do more crazy things like FTP upload, maybe even fire a batch stitch. For Nikons, the best looking app I found is free and combines exposures to HDR right away. www.sofortbildapp.com

                                            Wow, Blochi, that certainly is a good looking app, and funded by voluntary donations? that is also most impressive. My wife is driving me crazy using my PC and complaining that it doesn't work like the MAC she uses at the office, so I am thinking of getting her a low-spec MAC Air. Then perhaps I can take my turn driving HER crazy... I would certainly want to try sofortbildapp!

                                            Roger W.
                                          • Christian Bloch
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 2, 2011
                                              Yeah, from what I could gather this app started as a student project, and now this guy actually got hired by Apple, they moved him from Germany to California. It's one of these inspiring stories where doing what you love, and doing it really good, and then giving it away for free opens more doors than if you tried to build a business out of it and go for the money...

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jul 2, 2011
                                                And nice example of the Brain drain. The German society invested to the expert which US got for free. It is easy to be rich getting something for free... ;) We invented the globalisation but only in the way the Mr. or MS. Capital want.
                                                Excuse me my OT.

                                                Bostjan