Re: OT: shooting art?

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 23, 2011
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@...> wrote:

      > someone out there must be experienced shooting art reproductions.... i have
      > a question!
      >
      > when shooting art in a gallery, is it sufficient to use 2x halogen work
      > lights (the kind you buy at the hardware store) pointed at 45º on each side?

      If you are talking about oil paintings you should never shoot with lights on each side.

      This destroys completely the structure of the artwork.
      Back in the 90th I used to shoot it with 1 halogen lamp up to 10 m away for large oilpaintings.

      In todays digital world you may be able to do it with one single light, usually a hard light, from one side at a shorter distance.
      You can then compensate for the light fall using a simple graduation layer in photoshop.

      And of course you should use a tele lens so that you fill up your frame at a distance of at least 3 times the long side of the painting.
      Too short distance will easy give you reflections.

      Hans