Sony NEX-3 and PTViewer

  • manwithjunk@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 23, 2011
      I've recently bought a Sony NEX-3 which has an auto-stitcher built in to the camera. I'd like to put these pictures on a web page using something like PTViewer but I'm having some trouble with the picture being a bit distorted. I have panotools plug-ins but nothing really makes the picture look acceptable.
      Could someone give me some advice?

      Much obliged
      Steve
    • Jan Martin
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 23, 2011
        Hi Steve,

        panorama players usually expect a panorama in equirectangular format:
        - width is twice the hight.
        - width is 360 degree,
        - hight is 180 degree.

        So you should try to make your image into that format.
        You could open it with free hugin program and choose "rectangular" and the
        appropriate degree settings when loading your image, then "equirectangular"
        on the stitcher tab to make it into that format.

        Or just post a link to your image so we can have a look.

        Jan

        --
        http://www.DIY-streetview.org

      • bty4504
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 24, 2011
          Thanks Jan

          I've uploaded the image from the NEX-3 here:
          http://www.manwithbeard.co.uk/pan/garden.jpg

          I would say that the camera takes a width of maybe 160 degrees. I'm not sure about the height. I tried hugin (I guess you mean 'normal-rectilinear since there is no rectangular import) but I didn't get anything that looked like it would work :(

          Cheers
          Steve

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jan Martin <janmartin@...> wrote:

          > Hi Steve,
          >
          > panorama players usually expect a panorama in equirectangular format:
          > - width is twice the hight.
          > - width is 360 degree,
          > - hight is 180 degree.
          >
          > So you should try to make your image into that format.
          > You could open it with free hugin program and choose "rectangular" and the
          > appropriate degree settings when loading your image, then "equirectangular"
          > on the stitcher tab to make it into that format.
          >
          > Or just post a link to your image so we can have a look.
          >
          > Jan
          >

          > On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 3:50 PM, manwithjunk@... <
          > manwithjunk@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I've recently bought a Sony NEX-3 which has an auto-stitcher built in to
          > > the camera. I'd like to put these pictures on a web page using something
          > > like PTViewer but I'm having some trouble with the picture being a bit
          > > distorted. I have panotools plug-ins but nothing really makes the picture
          > > look acceptable.
          > > Could someone give me some advice?
          > >
          > > Much obliged
          > > Steve
          > >

          > --
          > http://www.DIY-streetview.org

        • Jan Martin
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 24, 2011
            Hi Steve,

            On the "Assistant" tab open your image as "Panoramic (cylindrical)".
            On "Camera and Lens" tab set degree of view (v) to 160.
            On "Sticher" tab projection to "Equirectangular"
            Click "calculate optimal size".
            Panorama output: Tick "Exposure corrected, low dynamic range".
            Set Format to JPEG and Quality to 85.
            Click stitch.

            The Panini panorama player recogniced the resulting image as
            equirectangular.
            So should any other pano player.

            I am sure one can improve this.

            Good luck,
            Jan

            On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 2:01 PM, bty4504 <manwithjunk@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Thanks Jan
            >
            > I've uploaded the image from the NEX-3 here:
            > http://www.manwithbeard.co.uk/pan/garden.jpg
            >
            > I would say that the camera takes a width of maybe 160 degrees. I'm not
            > sure about the height. I tried hugin (I guess you mean 'normal-rectilinear
            > since there is no rectangular import) but I didn't get anything that looked
            > like it would work :(
            >
            > Cheers
            > Steve
            >

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jan Martin <janmartin@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Steve,
            > >
            > > panorama players usually expect a panorama in equirectangular format:
            > > - width is twice the hight.
            > > - width is 360 degree,
            > > - hight is 180 degree.
            > >
            > > So you should try to make your image into that format.
            > > You could open it with free hugin program and choose "rectangular" and
            > the
            > > appropriate degree settings when loading your image, then
            > "equirectangular"
            > > on the stitcher tab to make it into that format.
            > >
            > > Or just post a link to your image so we can have a look.
            > >
            > > Jan
            > >

            > > On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 3:50 PM, manwithjunk@... <
            > > manwithjunk@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > **
            > > >

            > > > I've recently bought a Sony NEX-3 which has an auto-stitcher built in
            > > > the camera. I'd like to put these pictures on a web page using
            > something
            > > > like PTViewer but I'm having some trouble with the picture being a bit
            > > > distorted. I have panotools plug-ins but nothing really makes the
            > picture
            > > > look acceptable.
            > > > Could someone give me some advice?
            > > >
            > > > Much obliged
            > > > Steve
            > > >

            > > --
            > > http://www.DIY-streetview.org

            http://www.DIY-streetview.org

          • bty4504
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 24, 2011
              Jan, thanks for your help

              When I try to open the image in panini (source-equirectangular) it says 'QImage::scaled: Image is a null image' and is just white. When opened in a standard graphics program the jpg looks to be the right aspect ratio and is black except for the picture of the garden in the middle. I guess there is another setting of hugin that is not right?

            • bty4504
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 24, 2011
                Hi Jan

                I think I discovered the cause of the problem - lack of memory. I reduced the size of the images and then things started to work - I rebooted and had fewer programs running - and was then able to load garden-garden.jpg into panini. Still too much for PTViewer in Firefox though. I'll just have to reduce the quality of the images a bit.

                Many thanks for your help on this. I'm going to try stitching several of the nex-3 images together to see if I can improve the vertical field of view.

                Cheers
                Steve

              • jot.mateng@googlemail.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 27, 2011
                  Hi Steve,

                  2011/6/23 manwithjunk@... <manwithjunk@...>

                  > I've recently bought a Sony NEX-3 which has an auto-stitcher built in to the camera.

                   [... deleted ...]

                  > Could someone give me some advice?

                  To make it short: Handling sweep-paoramas for the purpose of an
                  interactive presentation or stitching these images together is not an
                  easy task.

                  Some time ago Panotwin Markus tried to stitch sweep panoramas from a
                  NEX and he documented his observations in our blog.

                  Spherical pano combined from sweep panoramas:
                  http://www.panotwins.de/?p=424

                  Spherical pano stitched from sweep panoramas, an experiment:
                  http://www.panotwins.de/?p=474

                  Best regards,

                  Panotwin Jürgen