Pentax Q camera with fisheye

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 23, 2011
    • luca vascon
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 23, 2011
        Aren't we planning for a batch buy of Fuji fisheyes?
        or for a Volpi Peri Apollar?

        2011/6/23 panovrx <panovrx@...>:
        > http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/23/pentax-releases-q-worlds-smallest-interchangeable-lens-digital/
        >
        > $130 for the fisheye
        >
        > PeterM

        Luca Vascon.

        www.nuovostudio.it
        www.officinepanottiche.com
      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 23, 2011
          It's a toy...

          ----------

          To achieve the camera's incredibly small body size, Pentax had to shrink the sensor as well, making
          the Q not only the world's smallest interchangeable lens camera (ILC), but also the cam with the
          world's smallest sensor in an ILC. The Q uses a 12.4 megapixel, 1/2.3-inch backlit CMOS image
          sensor, manufactured by Sony -- significantly smaller than the 4/3 and APS-C sensors used in Micro
          Four Thirds and Sony NEX-series cameras, respectively. As image quality is dependent on sensor size,
          the Q won't be able to compete directly with any other ILC -- instead, its images are most
          comparable to those you'd capture with a traditional digital compact (which, ahem, don't cost $800).

          ----------

          panovrx wrote:
          > http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/23/pentax-releases-q-worlds-smallest-interchangeable-lens-digital/
          >
          > $130 for the fisheye
          >
          > PeterM

        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011

            > It's a toy...
            >
            > ----------
            >
            > To achieve the camera's incredibly small body size, Pentax had to shrink the sensor as well, making
            > the Q not only the world's smallest interchangeable lens camera (ILC), but also the cam with the
            > world's smallest sensor in an ILC. The Q uses a 12.4 megapixel, 1/2.3-inch backlit CMOS image
            > sensor, manufactured by Sony -- significantly smaller than the 4/3 and APS-C sensors used in Micro
            > Four Thirds and Sony NEX-series cameras, respectively. As image quality is dependent on sensor size,
            > the Q won't be able to compete directly with any other ILC -- instead, its images are most
            > comparable to those you'd capture with a traditional digital compact (which, ahem, don't cost $800).
            >
            > ----------
            >
            > panovrx wrote:
            > > http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/23/pentax-releases-q-worlds-smallest-interchangeable-lens-digital/
            > >
            > > $130 for the fisheye
            > >
            > > PeterM

            Here is a page on the fisheye

            http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/PENTAX_03_Fish-Eye_Lens_for_Q-Series_Cameras/

            Very non-informative markings on the lens body -- but it is good to see it at least seems to focus. In other places I read - it shares good coatings with the "prime" Q lenses but lacks their in lens shutters. Meaning you miss out on the flash sync to 1/2000 of those lenses.

            No cable release socket for the body just IR. Very short lens flange to sensor distance and simple looking mount so just about any lens could be used on it with an adapter I think. 5.6X fl equivalent. So equivalent to a 1200mm on FF would be about a 200mm on this.
            So an almost pocketable gigapixel rig perhaps :-)

            PeterM
          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 27, 2011
              Waste of time....

              panovrx wrote:
              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
              >> It's a toy...
              >>
              >> ----------
              >>
              >> To achieve the camera's incredibly small body size, Pentax had to shrink the sensor as well, making
              >> the Q not only the world's smallest interchangeable lens camera (ILC), but also the cam with the
              >> world's smallest sensor in an ILC. The Q uses a 12.4 megapixel, 1/2.3-inch backlit CMOS image
              >> sensor, manufactured by Sony -- significantly smaller than the 4/3 and APS-C sensors used in Micro
              >> Four Thirds and Sony NEX-series cameras, respectively. As image quality is dependent on sensor size,
              >> the Q won't be able to compete directly with any other ILC -- instead, its images are most
              >> comparable to those you'd capture with a traditional digital compact (which, ahem, don't cost $800).
              >>
              >> ----------
              >>
              >> panovrx wrote:
              >>> http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/23/pentax-releases-q-worlds-smallest-interchangeable-lens-digital/
              >>>
              >>> $130 for the fisheye
              >>>
              >>> PeterM
              >>>

              > Here is a page on the fisheye
              >
              > http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/PENTAX_03_Fish-Eye_Lens_for_Q-Series_Cameras/
              >
              > Very non-informative markings on the lens body -- but it is good to see it at least seems to focus. In other places I read - it shares good coatings with the "prime" Q lenses but lacks their in lens shutters. Meaning you miss out on the flash sync to 1/2000 of those lenses.
              >
              > No cable release socket for the body just IR. Very short lens flange to sensor distance and simple looking mount so just about any lens could be used on it with an adapter I think. 5.6X fl equivalent. So equivalent to a 1200mm on FF would be about a 200mm on this.
              > So an almost pocketable gigapixel rig perhaps :-)
              >
              > PeterM

            • panovrx
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 17 5:38 AM
                Here are a couple of pages with Pentax Q fisheye lens tests:
                http://nedbunnell.posterous.com/a-few-more-03-fish-eye-lens-images
                (these are processed from raw)

                http://www.flickr.com/photos/27812652@N03/6111698606/in/photostream/lightbox/

                PentaxForums say Cmount to PentaxQ adapters are in the works
                http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q-forum/158310-various-adapters-pentax-q.html so the Fujinon fisheyes could be used on the Q

                PeterM

                > Waste of time....
                >
                > panovrx wrote:
                > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@> wrote:
                > >> It's a toy...
                > >>
                > >> ----------
                > >>
                > >> To achieve the camera's incredibly small body size, Pentax had to shrink the sensor as well, making
                > >> the Q not only the world's smallest interchangeable lens camera (ILC), but also the cam with the
                > >> world's smallest sensor in an ILC. The Q uses a 12.4 megapixel, 1/2.3-inch backlit CMOS image
                > >> sensor, manufactured by Sony -- significantly smaller than the 4/3 and APS-C sensors used in Micro
                > >> Four Thirds and Sony NEX-series cameras, respectively. As image quality is dependent on sensor size,
                > >> the Q won't be able to compete directly with any other ILC -- instead, its images are most
                > >> comparable to those you'd capture with a traditional digital compact (which, ahem, don't cost $800).
                > >>
                > >> ----------

                > > Here is a page on the fisheye
                > >
                > > http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/PENTAX_03_Fish-Eye_Lens_for_Q-Series_Cameras/
                > >
                > > Very non-informative markings on the lens body -- but it is good to see it at least seems to focus. In other places I read - it shares good coatings with the "prime" Q lenses but lacks their in lens shutters. Meaning you miss out on the flash sync to 1/2000 of those lenses.
                > >
                > > No cable release socket for the body just IR. Very short lens flange to sensor distance and simple looking mount so just about any lens could be used on it with an adapter I think. 5.6X fl equivalent. So equivalent to a 1200mm on FF would be about a 200mm on this.
                > > So an almost pocketable gigapixel rig perhaps :-)
                > >
                > > PeterM

              • panovrx
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 5, 2012
                  http://panoramicum.de/q/

                  this is the first 360 I have seen with the Pentax Q. Not bad for a $130 fisheye.

                  PeterM

                  > Here are a couple of pages with Pentax Q fisheye lens tests:
                  > http://nedbunnell.posterous.com/a-few-more-03-fish-eye-lens-images
                  > (these are processed from raw)
                  >
                  > http://www.flickr.com/photos/27812652@N03/6111698606/in/photostream/lightbox/
                  >
                  > PentaxForums say Cmount to PentaxQ adapters are in the works
                  > http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q-forum/158310-various-adapters-pentax-q.html so the Fujinon fisheyes could be used on the Q
                  >
                  > PeterM
                  >
                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Waste of time....
                  > >
                  > > panovrx wrote:

                  > > > Here is a page on the fisheye
                  > > >
                  > > > http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/PENTAX_03_Fish-Eye_Lens_for_Q-Series_Cameras/
                  > > >
                  > > > Very non-informative markings on the lens body -- but it is good to see it at least seems to focus. In other places I read - it shares good coatings with the "prime" Q lenses but lacks their in lens shutters. Meaning you miss out on the flash sync to 1/2000 of those lenses.
                  > > >
                  > > > No cable release socket for the body just IR. Very short lens flange to sensor distance and simple looking mount so just about any lens could be used on it with an adapter I think. 5.6X fl equivalent. So equivalent to a 1200mm on FF would be about a 200mm on this.
                  > > > So an almost pocketable gigapixel rig perhaps :-)
                  > > >
                  > > > PeterM

                • luca vascon
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 5, 2012
                    "A Ricoh Company" what a shame...
                    Well. Pentax Q is not  bad, the lens is quite good, but the body is foolish priced.

                    2012/6/5 panovrx <panovrx@...>
                    http://panoramicum.de/q/

                    this is the first 360 I have seen with the Pentax Q. Not bad for a $130 fisheye.

                    PeterM

                    > Here are a couple of pages with Pentax Q fisheye lens tests:
                    > http://nedbunnell.posterous.com/a-few-more-03-fish-eye-lens-images
                    > (these are processed from raw)
                    >
                    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/27812652@N03/6111698606/in/photostream/lightbox/
                    >
                    > PentaxForums say Cmount to PentaxQ adapters are in the works
                    > http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q-forum/158310-various-adapters-pentax-q.html so the Fujinon fisheyes could be used on the Q
                    >
                    > PeterM
                    >
                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Waste of time....
                    > >
                    > > panovrx wrote:

                    > > > Here is a page on the fisheye
                    > > >
                    > > > http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/PENTAX_03_Fish-Eye_Lens_for_Q-Series_Cameras/
                    > > >
                    > > > Very non-informative markings on the lens body -- but it is good to see it at least seems to focus. In other places I read - it shares good coatings with the "prime" Q lenses but lacks their in lens shutters. Meaning you miss out on the flash sync to 1/2000 of those lenses.
                    > > >
                    > > > No cable release socket for the body just IR. Very short lens flange to sensor distance and simple looking mount so just about any lens could be used on it with an adapter I think. 5.6X fl equivalent. So equivalent to a  1200mm on FF would be about a 200mm on this.
                    > > > So an almost pocketable gigapixel rig perhaps :-)
                    > > >
                    > > > PeterM

                    <*> Your email settings:
                       Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                       (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                       PanoToolsNG-digest@yahoogroups.com

                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    --
                    Luca Vascon.

                  • prague
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 6, 2012
                      the body seems to be expensive but damn, that is a sexy camera. and tiny! i have to say, i find it very tempting.

                      luca, what is the ideal non-mirror camera pano setup in your opinion? please, just tell me one configuration.

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

                      > "A Ricoh Company" what a shame...
                      > Well. Pentax Q is not bad, the lens is quite good, but the body is foolish
                      > priced.
                      >
                      > 2012/6/5 panovrx <panovrx@...>
                      >
                      > > http://panoramicum.de/q/
                      > >
                      > > this is the first 360 I have seen with the Pentax Q. Not bad for a $130
                      > > fisheye.
                      > >
                      > > PeterM
                      > >
                      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <panovrx@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Here are a couple of pages with Pentax Q fisheye lens tests:
                      > > > http://nedbunnell.posterous.com/a-few-more-03-fish-eye-lens-images
                      > > > (these are processed from raw)
                      > > >

                      > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/27812652@N03/6111698606/in/photostream/lightbox/
                      > > >
                      > > > PentaxForums say Cmount to PentaxQ adapters are in the works
                      > > >
                      > > http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q-forum/158310-various-adapters-pentax-q.htmlso the Fujinon fisheyes could be used on the Q
                      > > >
                      > > > PeterM

                      > > shrink the sensor as well, making
                      > > (ILC), but also the cam with the
                      > > 1/2.3-inch backlit CMOS image
                      > > and APS-C sensors used in Micro
                      > > quality is dependent on sensor size,
                      > > instead, its images are most
                      > > compact (which, ahem, don't cost $800).

                      > > http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/23/pentax-releases-q-worlds-smallest-interchangeable-lens-digital/

                      > > http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/PENTAX_03_Fish-Eye_Lens_for_Q-Series_Cameras/

                      > > see it at least seems to focus. In other places I read - it shares good
                      > > coatings with the "prime" Q lenses but lacks their in lens shutters.
                      > > Meaning you miss out on the flash sync to 1/2000 of those lenses.

                      > > to sensor distance and simple looking mount so just about any lens could be
                      > > used on it with an adapter I think. 5.6X fl equivalent. So equivalent to a
                      > > 1200mm on FF would be about a 200mm on this.

                      > > ------------------------------------
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > >

                      > --
                      > Luca Vascon.
                      > --
                      > www.lucavascon.net
                      > Questa è la mia mail privata, la guardo di tanto in tanto.
                      > Se volete parlarmi di lavoro, contattatemi attraverso i siti qui sotto.
                      >
                      > www.officinepanottiche.com
                      > www.nuovostudio.it

                    • luca vascon
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 6, 2012
                        it is depending in how you do use it, how do you want it to behave, if you want to remote it, what are your video needs, how much wuold you like to pay

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 7, 2012
                          mostly panos, and sometimes a portrait or two.
                          video? don't they all do video?

                        • luca vascon
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 7, 2012
                            :-)
                            As I supposed.
                            No panasonic but the GH series allow manual mode in video...
                            All Olympus do that, but many small ones only do have 720p and record with lower bit rate
                            The Panny-Oly 12mp sensor is an honest one, not special, that is used to its very limits. It has a narrow gamma, good colors, and shines  till 400 iso. In case of low light, night shots etc, you'd better to use the lowest iso remove stabilizations, and use a tripod. You can get rid of lack of colors etc.
                            Olympus are more "cameras", have better flash controls and they do have in-camera IS, that means every old lens you put on will be stabilized. Panny are more pragmatic and rational, their lenses are dam good.

                            Occasional panoramas, everyday shoots, portraits:
                            Olympus EPL3 or EPM1
                            Lenses
                            7.5 Samyang
                            14 Panny