Re: Fujifilm W3 for Panos.. Anyone using this? how to stitch?

  • gregoryallandowning
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22 11:35 PM
      > On Jun 23, 2011, at 8:34 AM, "Mike G" <japan4miami@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hello Group. I just bought the W3 camera recently and will make a >vertical nodal point bracket. Is anyone stitching full 360 or partial >panos with this camera?

      I did this a year or two ago when the camera came out as a gigapixel experiment. I wanted a test image to play w/ the convergence and fusing problem that you run into when zooming into a s3d image. I used stereo photo maker to correct the alignment and applied the same values to all the images. Then I stitched one eye and applied the same stitching layout to the second eye.

      You will find a few obvious errors (ie water in foreground and few areas where the blend cut an object out of one of the eyes) and discover the convergence problem that I was investigating if you look at a distant view and zoom all the way in but you can see an image made this way here, http://www.xrez.com/canals_stereo/stereo.html Please don't post this off list as I don't really think it is fit for public consumption yet.

      I did get to test a few ideas though. I found that for most areas I was able to get good blending and a comfortable stereo view of the water and as I expected seams that you would never detect in 2d if mis-stitched are really obvious in 3d.

      I haven't shown this image publicly mostly because I haven't found an elegant enough real-time convergence puller. The only one that I know of is http://www.3d-360.com/ it is a valiant effort and in some respects is on the right track but it gave me a horrible headache (my guess is that this is because it pulls convergence way too fast, allows for situations in which there is too much depth and window violations)