To iDevice or not, that's the question my dear Watson

  • Wim Koornneef
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 22, 2011
      Hello Group,

      A lot of people are using iDevices and this number is growing rapidly.
      There are more iDevices sold in a few weeks then flash capable mobile
      devices in a year and the number of people that are using their iDevice as
      there only webdisplay is growing rapidly.

      Obviously many panorama makers, including me, are happy with their iPad and
      we are already outputing our panos by default in Flash and HtmlCss3 Webkit
      so all those people out there with an iDevice can now view our panos if they
      like without any hassle.

      The ratio of iDevices compared to flash capable machines is yet little but
      the number of iDevices is huge and both the ratio and the numbers are
      increasing faster and faster.

      If this keeps going on for a while then at a certain point there will be a
      critical mass of iDevices that can't be ignored any longer by panorama
      makers that at this moment refuse to output their panos in htmlcss3.

      For pro's the decision to turn over to htmlcss3 is not based on their
      personal preferences or specs of the platform but it is all about the
      market. Clearly the perspective on the market is not for everyone the same
      and so the issue is:

      "To iDevice or not, that's the question my dear Watson"

      Wim

    • Ormar
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 23, 2011
        Based on this:
        http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_vs_desktop-eu-monthly-201106-201106-bar
        there is no need to care about iDevices now, I think.
        From this ca 3# have bigger screens:
        http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_browser-eu-monthly-201106-201106-bar
        Sure, we need to be ready when the numbers will grow. Or have specific need...
        Some of virtual tour makers already do not care about screen resolution 1024x768 in their design, even the % is much-much bigger.

        Maybe you know the place of more exact statistics?

        OrmarT

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

        > Hello Group,
        >
        > A lot of people are using iDevices and this number is growing rapidly.
        > There are more iDevices sold in a few weeks then flash capable mobile
        > devices in a year and the number of people that are using their iDevice as
        > there only webdisplay is growing rapidly.
        >
        > Obviously many panorama makers, including me, are happy with their iPad and
        > we are already outputing our panos by default in Flash and HtmlCss3 Webkit
        > so all those people out there with an iDevice can now view our panos if they
        > like without any hassle.
        >
        > The ratio of iDevices compared to flash capable machines is yet little but
        > the number of iDevices is huge and both the ratio and the numbers are
        > increasing faster and faster.
        >
        > If this keeps going on for a while then at a certain point there will be a
        > critical mass of iDevices that can't be ignored any longer by panorama
        > makers that at this moment refuse to output their panos in htmlcss3.
        >
        > For pro's the decision to turn over to htmlcss3 is not based on their
        > personal preferences or specs of the platform but it is all about the
        > market. Clearly the perspective on the market is not for everyone the same
        > and so the issue is:
        >
        > "To iDevice or not, that's the question my dear Watson"
        >
        > Wim

      • Hans
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 23, 2011
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Ormar" <rmrtmm@...> wrote:

          > Based on this:
          > http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_vs_desktop-eu-monthly-201106-201106-bar
          > there is no need to care about iDevices now, I think.
          > From this ca 3# have bigger screens:
          > http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_browser-eu-monthly-201106-201106-bar
          > Sure, we need to be ready when the numbers will grow. Or have specific need...
          > Some of virtual tour makers already do not care about screen resolution 1024x768 in their design, even the % is much-much bigger.
          >
          > Maybe you know the place of more exact statistics?

          It all depends on what your target is. If you live in Romania you can forget it at least for a couple of years.
          If you are in US it goes very fast now.
          panoramas.dk stats may 23 - june22

          WORLD

          1.
          Windows
          248,783 85.75%
          2.
          Macintosh
          26,395 9.10%
          3.
          iPhone
          4,582 1.58%
          4.
          iPad
          3,149 1.09%
          5.
          Linux
          2,406 0.83%
          6.
          Android
          2,226 0.77%

          US

          1.
          Windows
          41,110 69.21%

          2.
          Macintosh
          12,929 21.77%
          3.
          iPhone
          1,796 3.02%
          4.
          Android
          1,204 2.03%
          5.
          iPad
          1,150 1.94%
          6.
          Linux
          483 0.81%
          7.
          iPod
          332 0.56%

          EUROPE INCL RUSSIA

          1.
          Windows
          104,287 89.90%

          2.
          Macintosh
          7,105 6.13%
          3.
          iPhone
          1,295 1.12%
          4.
          Linux
          1,142 0.98%
          5.
          iPad
          906 0.78%
          6.
          Android
          486 0.42%

          Just 6 months ago you had a very different situation.
          US February

          1.
          Windows
          35,318 69.65%

          2.
          Macintosh
          12,325 24.31%
          3.
          iPhone
          874 1.72%
          4.
          Android
          728 1.44%
          5.
          iPad
          525 1.04%
          6.
          Linux
          472 0.93%
          7.
          iPod
          283 0.56%

          Hans

          > OrmarT
          >
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Group,
          > >
          > > A lot of people are using iDevices and this number is growing rapidly.
          > > There are more iDevices sold in a few weeks then flash capable mobile
          > > devices in a year and the number of people that are using their iDevice as
          > > there only webdisplay is growing rapidly.
          > >
          > > Obviously many panorama makers, including me, are happy with their iPad and
          > > we are already outputing our panos by default in Flash and HtmlCss3 Webkit
          > > so all those people out there with an iDevice can now view our panos if they
          > > like without any hassle.
          > >
          > > The ratio of iDevices compared to flash capable machines is yet little but
          > > the number of iDevices is huge and both the ratio and the numbers are
          > > increasing faster and faster.
          > >
          > > If this keeps going on for a while then at a certain point there will be a
          > > critical mass of iDevices that can't be ignored any longer by panorama
          > > makers that at this moment refuse to output their panos in htmlcss3.
          > >
          > > For pro's the decision to turn over to htmlcss3 is not based on their
          > > personal preferences or specs of the platform but it is all about the
          > > market. Clearly the perspective on the market is not for everyone the same
          > > and so the issue is:
          > >
          > > "To iDevice or not, that's the question my dear Watson"
          > >
          > > Wim
          > >

          > > --

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 23, 2011
            Hi Wim, you have pointed straight to my "soapbox".
            For me (at this moment in time) the answer is an emphatic NO to mobile idevices. I have to admit that this is more of a gut reaction to Apple's (that Jobs fella) pure "bloody mindedness" that they will not allow the consumer to decide how they (the customer) what they can and cannot use the "ipiddle" device for. I am, and have always been, a believer in freedom. When Apple tell me I cannot use something I have paid for, the way I want, even though it is technically able to do so I just see red. When they (Apple) start producing mobile devices that are not deliberately incapacitated I may change my opinion, but for now I would opt for a device that allows me to connect other devices (ie. Flash Drives, Cameras etc) and to add or delete files/data, and to run other pano viewers at my discretion. I do not wish to be stuck with having to use the limitations itunes to operate my equipment.
            I realized that Apple were just another box shifter when I bought my first Mac (YES I do use Mac Computers) years ago, I immediately had a problem with the hardware, which Apple claimed was due to the way I used it (this was to write data to CDR discs, the very reason I bought the machine). After endless phone conversations with their tech support I was eventually sent one of Apple's internal memos (anonymously from an Apple employee) which told me that Apple knew all about this problem, it only took one more phonecall from me to them to get an immediate response, and resolution to my problem.
            Since then I have had Apple "marked" as just another company that is only interested in making sales, and sod the customer. They do make some excellent products, they also, IMHO, make some CR*P, and they don't care one little bit as long as they sell.

            Right that's enough rambling from me for now.

            Jeff ( I don't care who makes it, as long as it works properly) Starley

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

            > Hello Group,
            >
            > A lot of people are using iDevices and this number is growing rapidly.
            > There are more iDevices sold in a few weeks then flash capable mobile
            > devices in a year and the number of people that are using their iDevice as
            > there only webdisplay is growing rapidly.
            >
            > Obviously many panorama makers, including me, are happy with their iPad and
            > we are already outputing our panos by default in Flash and HtmlCss3 Webkit
            > so all those people out there with an iDevice can now view our panos if they
            > like without any hassle.
            >
            > The ratio of iDevices compared to flash capable machines is yet little but
            > the number of iDevices is huge and both the ratio and the numbers are
            > increasing faster and faster.
            >
            > If this keeps going on for a while then at a certain point there will be a
            > critical mass of iDevices that can't be ignored any longer by panorama
            > makers that at this moment refuse to output their panos in htmlcss3.
            >
            > For pro's the decision to turn over to htmlcss3 is not based on their
            > personal preferences or specs of the platform but it is all about the
            > market. Clearly the perspective on the market is not for everyone the same
            > and so the issue is:
            >
            > "To iDevice or not, that's the question my dear Watson"
            >
            > Wim

          • Ian Wood
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 23, 2011
              Out of curiosity, has anyone done tests of Flash panoramas on a Xoom or similar?

              Ian
            • AYRTON
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 23, 2011
                Guys
                take a look at this:
                <
                http://technologizer.com/2011/06/23/for-wi-fi-pcs-and-macs-are-now-a-minority/

                something to think about :-)

                And I agree with Wim

                cheers
                AYRTON

                On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 3:31 AM, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...>wrote:

                > Hello Group,
                >
                > A lot of people are using iDevices and this number is growing rapidly.
                > There are more iDevices sold in a few weeks then flash capable mobile
                > devices in a year and the number of people that are using their iDevice as
                > there only webdisplay is growing rapidly.
                >
                > Obviously many panorama makers, including me, are happy with their iPad and
                > we are already outputing our panos by default in Flash and HtmlCss3 Webkit
                > so all those people out there with an iDevice can now view our panos if
                > they
                > like without any hassle.
                >
                > The ratio of iDevices compared to flash capable machines is yet little but
                > the number of iDevices is huge and both the ratio and the numbers are
                > increasing faster and faster.
                >
                > If this keeps going on for a while then at a certain point there will be a
                > critical mass of iDevices that can't be ignored any longer by panorama
                > makers that at this moment refuse to output their panos in htmlcss3.
                >
                > For pro's the decision to turn over to htmlcss3 is not based on their
                > personal preferences or specs of the platform but it is all about the
                > market. Clearly the perspective on the market is not for everyone the same
                > and so the issue is:
                >
                > "To iDevice or not, that's the question my dear Watson"
                >
                > Wim

                + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                http://ayrton360.com
                twitter.com/ayrton360

              • jrgen_schrader
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 24, 2011
                  Why worry?
                  Talking about the "pro" part we will produce what the customer demands, not what statistics say.

                  > Guys
                  > take a look at this:
                  > <
                  > http://technologizer.com/2011/06/23/for-wi-fi-pcs-and-macs-are-now-a-minority/
                  > >

                  > something to think about :-)
                  >
                  > And I agree with Wim
                  >
                  > cheers
                  > AYRTON
                  >

                  > On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 3:31 AM, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...>wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hello Group,
                  > >
                  > > A lot of people are using iDevices and this number is growing rapidly.
                  > > There are more iDevices sold in a few weeks then flash capable mobile
                  > > devices in a year and the number of people that are using their iDevice as
                  > > there only webdisplay is growing rapidly.
                  > >
                  > > Obviously many panorama makers, including me, are happy with their iPad and
                  > > we are already outputing our panos by default in Flash and HtmlCss3 Webkit
                  > > so all those people out there with an iDevice can now view our panos if
                  > > they
                  > > like without any hassle.
                  > >
                  > > The ratio of iDevices compared to flash capable machines is yet little but
                  > > the number of iDevices is huge and both the ratio and the numbers are
                  > > increasing faster and faster.
                  > >
                  > > If this keeps going on for a while then at a certain point there will be a
                  > > critical mass of iDevices that can't be ignored any longer by panorama
                  > > makers that at this moment refuse to output their panos in htmlcss3.
                  > >
                  > > For pro's the decision to turn over to htmlcss3 is not based on their
                  > > personal preferences or specs of the platform but it is all about the
                  > > market. Clearly the perspective on the market is not for everyone the same
                  > > and so the issue is:
                  > >
                  > > "To iDevice or not, that's the question my dear Watson"
                  > >
                  > > Wim
                  > >

                  > > --

                  > > --
                  > >

                  > --
                  >
                  > + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                  > + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                  > http://ayrton360.com
                  > twitter.com/ayrton360

                • AYRTON
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 24, 2011
                    :-)
                    That's it my friend

                    Need to pay my bills :-)
                    cheers

                    On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 4:37 AM, jrgen_schrader <panorama@...>wrote:

                    > Why worry?
                    > Talking about the "pro" part we will produce what the customer demands, not
                    > what statistics say.
                    >

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Guys
                    > > take a look at this:
                    > > <
                    > >
                    > http://technologizer.com/2011/06/23/for-wi-fi-pcs-and-macs-are-now-a-minority/
                    > > >

                    > > something to think about :-)
                    > >
                    > > And I agree with Wim
                    > >
                    > > cheers
                    > > AYRTON
                    > >

                    > > On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 3:31 AM, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...>wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Hello Group,
                    > > >
                    > > > A lot of people are using iDevices and this number is growing rapidly.
                    > > > There are more iDevices sold in a few weeks then flash capable mobile
                    > > > devices in a year and the number of people that are using their iDevice
                    > as
                    > > > there only webdisplay is growing rapidly.
                    > > >
                    > > > Obviously many panorama makers, including me, are happy with their iPad
                    > and
                    > > > we are already outputing our panos by default in Flash and HtmlCss3
                    > Webkit
                    > > > so all those people out there with an iDevice can now view our panos if
                    > > > they
                    > > > like without any hassle.
                    > > >
                    > > > The ratio of iDevices compared to flash capable machines is yet little
                    > but
                    > > > the number of iDevices is huge and both the ratio and the numbers are
                    > > > increasing faster and faster.
                    > > >
                    > > > If this keeps going on for a while then at a certain point there will
                    > be a
                    > > > critical mass of iDevices that can't be ignored any longer by panorama
                    > > > makers that at this moment refuse to output their panos in htmlcss3.
                    > > >
                    > > > For pro's the decision to turn over to htmlcss3 is not based on their
                    > > > personal preferences or specs of the platform but it is all about the
                    > > > market. Clearly the perspective on the market is not for everyone the
                    > same
                    > > > and so the issue is:
                    > > >
                    > > > "To iDevice or not, that's the question my dear Watson"
                    > > >
                    > > > Wim
                    > > >

                    > > > --

                    > > > --
                    > > >

                    > > --
                    > >
                    > > + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                    > > + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                    > > http://ayrton360.com
                    > > twitter.com/ayrton360

                    + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                    + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                    http://ayrton360.com
                    twitter.com/ayrton360

                  • prague
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 24, 2011
                      Well :) Customers often have end-users.

                      And sometimes we know more than customers and should tell them what they should have.

                      In a perfect world, the customer knows exactly what they want, but this seems to not be the case most times.

                      > Why worry?
                      > Talking about the "pro" part we will produce what the customer demands, not what statistics say.
                      >

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, AYRTON <avi@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Guys
                      > > take a look at this:
                      > > <
                      > > http://technologizer.com/2011/06/23/for-wi-fi-pcs-and-macs-are-now-a-minority/
                      > > >

                      > > something to think about :-)
                      > >
                      > > And I agree with Wim
                      > >
                      > > cheers
                      > > AYRTON
                      > >

                      > > On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 3:31 AM, Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@>wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > Hello Group,
                      > > >
                      > > > A lot of people are using iDevices and this number is growing rapidly.
                      > > > There are more iDevices sold in a few weeks then flash capable mobile
                      > > > devices in a year and the number of people that are using their iDevice as
                      > > > there only webdisplay is growing rapidly.
                      > > >
                      > > > Obviously many panorama makers, including me, are happy with their iPad and
                      > > > we are already outputing our panos by default in Flash and HtmlCss3 Webkit
                      > > > so all those people out there with an iDevice can now view our panos if
                      > > > they
                      > > > like without any hassle.
                      > > >
                      > > > The ratio of iDevices compared to flash capable machines is yet little but
                      > > > the number of iDevices is huge and both the ratio and the numbers are
                      > > > increasing faster and faster.
                      > > >
                      > > > If this keeps going on for a while then at a certain point there will be a
                      > > > critical mass of iDevices that can't be ignored any longer by panorama
                      > > > makers that at this moment refuse to output their panos in htmlcss3.
                      > > >
                      > > > For pro's the decision to turn over to htmlcss3 is not based on their
                      > > > personal preferences or specs of the platform but it is all about the
                      > > > market. Clearly the perspective on the market is not for everyone the same
                      > > > and so the issue is:
                      > > >
                      > > > "To iDevice or not, that's the question my dear Watson"
                      > > >
                      > > > Wim
                      > > >

                      > > > --

                      > > > --
                      > > >

                      > > --
                      > >
                      > > + 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
                      > > + 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
                      > > http://ayrton360.com
                      > > twitter.com/ayrton360

                    • Jim Watters
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 24, 2011
                        On 2011-06-23 4:13 PM, Ian Wood wrote:
                        > Out of curiosity, has anyone done tests of Flash panoramas on a Xoom or similar?
                        >
                        > Ian
                        I have a Samsung Galaxy S phone and it displays Flash panoramas very responsive.
                        Even the multiresolution pano after zooming way in to see all the detail. Except
                        for some multi Gigapixel panos that would crash flash after displaying a few
                        tiles, running out of memory.

                        I have tried the same with the Xoom when it first came out. It has twice the
                        power and three times the pixels as my phone. Unfortunately it had slight delays
                        responding to panning movements for the Flash panos. In contrast the Google
                        Street View worked as expected. It also was able to display the multi Gigapexel
                        pano without problem that did not work on my phone. There has been updates to
                        both the OS and Flash since then. The delays are in software and I don't know if
                        they have been resolved yet.

                        The iOS devices use HTML5/CSS3, and use a limited size faces that do not allow
                        to zoom in to see all the detail. These panos are a fraction of the resolution
                        available with using Flash. The interaction with these small panos are very smooth.

                        Not every Flash player is the same and some care has to be taken to create the
                        tiles that will work on these small portable devices with limited memory.

                        There are also multiple players for HTML5/CSS3. I have not tested all of these.
                        I suspect PTGui allows the highest resolution because it uses a 12 sided sphere
                        as apposed to most others that use 6 sided. Also it is necessary to create
                        different resolution faces to match the resolution of the various iOS devices.
                        The smaller devices cant display the larger files the larger devices would show
                        the smaller files pixelated.

                        --
                        Jim Watters
                        http://photocreations.ca
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 25, 2011
                          Simple question:

                          My entire pano collection is in Flash, and I want to convert it to be accessible by as many mobile devices as possible, including Apple's.

                          Most of my panos are archived in the form of cube faces or equirect's, and some old ones are archived in QT .mov format.

                          I have PTGui, Pano2VR, KRpano, FPP & Flashificator. All my HTML pages are done with Pleinpot.

                          I'm asking for recommendations for:

                          1. re-encoding
                          2. suitable work flow (Macintosh)