Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Lytro Camera Lets You Focus Photos After You Take Them

Expand Messages
  • Ken Warner
    Read the CEO s dissertation (if you can) http://www.lytro.com/renng-thesis.pdf
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 22, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
    • Mark D. Fink
      Now that would be handy! I m assuming you could not only selectively choose your focus point afterwards, but also in effect do focus stacking to bring
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 22, 2011
      • 0 Attachment
        Now that would be handy! I'm assuming you could not only selectively choose
        your focus point afterwards, but also in effect do focus stacking to bring
        everything into focus?

        Mark

        www.northernlight.net
        www.virtual-travels.com
        www.pinnacle-vr.com
        > -----Original Message-----
        > From: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com [mailto:PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com] On
        > Behalf Of Ken Warner
        > Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:53 AM
        > To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [PanoToolsNG] Lytro Camera Lets You Focus Photos After You Take
        > Them
        >
        > Read the CEO's dissertation (if you can)
        >
        > http://www.lytro.com/renng-thesis.pdf
        >
        >
        > http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/06/lytro-camera-lets-you-focus-photos-
        > after-you-take-them/
        >
        > http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/06/lytro-camera-lets-you-focus-photos-
        > after-you-take-them/
        >
        >
        > ------------------------------------
        >
        > --
        >
        >
        >
      • Christian Bloch
        No stacking necessary, because it s already captured at once. Aside from refocusing, there s a lot of potential to extract accurate depth information. Tons of
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 22, 2011
        • 0 Attachment
          No stacking necessary, because it's already captured at once.

          Aside from refocusing, there's a lot of potential to extract accurate depth information. Tons of creative potential unveiled: darken or brighten the background, remove objects and show the occluded areas instead, display it with stereoscopic or even holographic technology... Gets completely crazy when you add structured light techniques in the mix, like projecting lines and grids on objects and people.

          The dissertation is extremely inspiring, thanks for the link. The last few pages are a must-read!!

          .Blochi


          On Jun 22, 2011, at 9:37 AM, Mark D. Fink wrote:

          > Now that would be handy! I'm assuming you could not only selectively choose
          > your focus point afterwards, but also in effect do focus stacking to bring
          > everything into focus?
          >
          > Mark
          >
          > www.northernlight.net
          > www.virtual-travels.com
          > www.pinnacle-vr.com
          > > -----Original Message-----
          > > From: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com [mailto:PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com] On
          > > Behalf Of Ken Warner
          > > Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:53 AM
          > > To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
          > > Subject: [PanoToolsNG] Lytro Camera Lets You Focus Photos After You Take
          > > Them
          > >
          > > Read the CEO's dissertation (if you can)
          > >
          > > http://www.lytro.com/renng-thesis.pdf
          > >
          > >
          > > http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/06/lytro-camera-lets-you-focus-photos-
          > > after-you-take-them/
          > >
          > > http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/06/lytro-camera-lets-you-focus-photos-
          > > after-you-take-them/
          > >
          > >
          > > ------------------------------------
          > >
          > > --
          > >
          > >
          > >
          >
          >



          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • Roger D Williams
          ... It s a fascinating and very well written thesis. Top-class PhD level. For the first time in a long while I was glad I had studied physics!
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 22, 2011
          • 0 Attachment
            On Jun 23, 2011, at 12:52 AM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

            > Read the CEO's dissertation (if you can)
            >
            > http://www.lytro.com/renng-thesis.pdf

            It's a fascinating and very well written thesis. Top-class PhD level. For the first time in a long while I was glad I had studied physics!

            > http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/06/lytro-camera-lets-you-focus-photos-after-you-take-them/
            >
            > http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/06/lytro-camera-lets-you-focus-photos-after-you-take-them/
            >
            >
            > ------------------------------------
            >
            > --
            >
            >
            >
          • prague
            but something s gotta give i guess the resoulution might be 1 megapixel or less? still works ok for the instagram crowd though.
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 23, 2011
            • 0 Attachment
              but something's gotta give

              i guess the resoulution might be 1 megapixel or less?

              still works ok for the instagram crowd though.




              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:
              >
              > On Jun 23, 2011, at 12:52 AM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Read the CEO's dissertation (if you can)
              > >
              > > http://www.lytro.com/renng-thesis.pdf
              >
              > It's a fascinating and very well written thesis. Top-class PhD level. For the first time in a long while I was glad I had studied physics!
              >
              > > http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/06/lytro-camera-lets-you-focus-photos-after-you-take-them/
              > >
              > > http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/06/lytro-camera-lets-you-focus-photos-after-you-take-them/
              > >
              > >
              > > ------------------------------------
              > >
              > > --
              > >
              > >
              > >
              >
            • Ian Wood
              If I remember correctly, the fullframe dSLR prototype that was doing the rounds a while ago had an effective sub-megapixel resolution. EDIT - just skimmed the
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 23, 2011
              • 0 Attachment
                If I remember correctly, the fullframe dSLR prototype that was doing the rounds a while ago had an effective sub-megapixel resolution.

                EDIT - just skimmed the thesis, the prototype used a 16MP medium format back (not a fullframe) and got an effective resolution of 292x292px or 0.08MP.

                Ian

                On 23 Jun 2011, at 12:40, prague wrote:

                > but something's gotta give
                >
                > i guess the resoulution might be 1 megapixel or less?
                >
                > still works ok for the instagram crowd though.
                >
                >
                >
                >
                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> On Jun 23, 2011, at 12:52 AM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
                >>
                >>> Read the CEO's dissertation (if you can)
                >>>
                >>> http://www.lytro.com/renng-thesis.pdf
                >>
                >> It's a fascinating and very well written thesis. Top-class PhD level. For the first time in a long while I was glad I had studied physics!
                >>
                >>> http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/06/lytro-camera-lets-you-focus-photos-after-you-take-them/
                >>>
                >>> http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/06/lytro-camera-lets-you-focus-photos-after-you-take-them/
                >>>
                >>>
                >>> ------------------------------------
                >>>
                >>> --
                >>>
                >>>
                >>>
                >>
                >
                >
                >
                >
                > ------------------------------------
                >
                > --
                >
                >
                >
              • Ken Warner
                Yeah, I was wondering about that. No free lunch with sensors. You either got pixels or you don t.
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 23, 2011
                • 0 Attachment
                  Yeah, I was wondering about that. No free lunch with sensors.
                  You either got pixels or you don't.

                  Ian Wood wrote:
                  > If I remember correctly, the fullframe dSLR prototype that was doing the rounds a while ago had an effective sub-megapixel resolution.
                  >
                  > EDIT - just skimmed the thesis, the prototype used a 16MP medium format back (not a fullframe) and got an effective resolution of 292x292px or 0.08MP.
                  >
                  > Ian
                  >
                  > On 23 Jun 2011, at 12:40, prague wrote:
                  >
                  >> but something's gotta give
                  >>
                  >> i guess the resoulution might be 1 megapixel or less?
                  >>
                  >> still works ok for the instagram crowd though.
                  >>
                  >>
                  >>
                  >>
                  >> --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:
                  >>> On Jun 23, 2011, at 12:52 AM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
                  >>>
                  >>>> Read the CEO's dissertation (if you can)
                  >>>>
                  >>>> http://www.lytro.com/renng-thesis.pdf
                  >>> It's a fascinating and very well written thesis. Top-class PhD level. For the first time in a long while I was glad I had studied physics!
                  >>>
                  >>>> http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/06/lytro-camera-lets-you-focus-photos-after-you-take-them/
                  >>>>
                  >>>> http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/06/lytro-camera-lets-you-focus-photos-after-you-take-them/
                  >>>>
                  >>>>
                  >>>> ------------------------------------
                  >>>>
                  >>>> --
                  >>>>
                  >>>>
                  >>>>
                  >>
                  >>
                  >>
                  >> ------------------------------------
                  >>
                  >> --
                  >>
                  >>
                  >>
                  >
                  >
                • Roger D Williams
                  ... i would guess at least double that, because in his dissertation, written a few years ago when the top digital cameras had sensors capable of 10Mp, he said
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 23, 2011
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On Jun 23, 2011, at 8:40 PM, "prague" <panoramas@...> wrote:

                    > but something's gotta give
                    >
                    > i guess the resoulution might be 1 megapixel or less?
                    >
                    > still works ok for the instagram crowd though.

                    i would guess at least double that, because in his dissertation, written a few years ago when the top digital cameras had sensors capable of 10Mp, he said that no more than 2Mp was needed for the most popular print size of 4 x 5".

                    Also by moving the lenticular array closer to or further away from the sensor surface, the camera could be optimized for either greater resolution or depth of field. I don't know if the first generation camera will offer this, but it might...

                    Roger W.
                  • Ian Wood
                    ... The prototype used a 16MP sensor to get a 0.08MP image... Ian
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 23, 2011
                    • 0 Attachment
                      On 23 Jun 2011, at 17:14, Roger D Williams wrote:

                      > On Jun 23, 2011, at 8:40 PM, "prague" <panoramas@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> but something's gotta give
                      >>
                      >> i guess the resoulution might be 1 megapixel or less?
                      >>
                      >> still works ok for the instagram crowd though.
                      >
                      > i would guess at least double that, because in his dissertation, written a few years ago when the top digital cameras had sensors capable of 10Mp, he said that no more than 2Mp was needed for the most popular print size of 4 x 5".

                      The prototype used a 16MP sensor to get a 0.08MP image...

                      Ian
                    • paul womack
                      ... So in effect using multiple sensors to capture depth information consumes sensors that might otherwise capture spatial information. Hang on - haven t we
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 1 6:40 AM
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Ian Wood wrote:
                        > If I remember correctly, the fullframe dSLR prototype that was doing the rounds a while ago had an effective sub-megapixel resolution.
                        >
                        > EDIT - just skimmed the thesis, the prototype used a 16MP medium format back (not a fullframe) and got an effective resolution of 292x292px or 0.08MP.

                        So in effect using multiple sensors to capture depth information
                        consumes sensors that might otherwise capture spatial information.

                        Hang on - haven't we been here before (googly...)

                        Ah, yes:

                        http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3643964.stm

                        Different approach, but a similar
                        goal.

                        BugBear
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.