Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Problems stitching flat image :-(

  • Jim Watters
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 15, 2011
      On 2011-06-15 5:07 AM, prague wrote:
      > while autopano giga has its multiple viewpoint feature, so does ptgui have "viewpoint correction" and hugin can optimize x/y/z plane.
      >
      > i don't know if these are all the same thing, or they only sound similar. maybe someone can clarify.
      >
      > jeffrey
      They all can be used to stitch these types of images together.
      Hugin system defines the location of the camera.
      PTGui and PTStitcherNG apply an additional RPY correction to the image after it
      has been placed on the sphere.
      I don't know what method AutoPano Giga uses.

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew"<conanthedestroya222@...> wrote:
      >> Thanks J�rgen,
      >>
      >> I had no idea there would be problems stitching the images so long as they all overlapped and were roughly the same distance from the object. Oh well :-(
      >>
      >> I had already taken a 4 image shot with the 15mm fisheye and panohead but some of the objects on the shelves further down are not really visible as they are set back a bit. It will have to do.

      Here are a couple tutorial using Hugin.
      http://wiki.panotools.org/Stitching_a_photo-mosaic
      http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/scans/en.shtml

      PTGui and AutoPano Giga could all be used. But you might find it easier to just
      use Photoshop or another graphic application to stitch them together. It would
      probably help to correct the images for distortion first.

      If I understand correctly, your book shelf has one compartment per self. (not
      many compartments side by side, if so just repeat this for each compartment).

      Set your tripod to its highest setting (no higher that the top) for the top shelf.
      Set your tripod to its lowest setting for the bottom shelf.
      The middle shelves will have the tripod between these settings. The idea is that
      you are still looking up a bit for the top shelf and down a bit for the bottom
      shelf. But you are removing most of the perspective change so you can look into
      the self.

      For each shelf shoot a small pano using the NPP setting the camera up across the
      hall. You probably can get away with using your camera in landscape and taking 3
      or 4 images to stitch together. It really depends on the amount of detail you
      want in the final project.
      Output as rectilinear and use vertical and horizontal lines to ensure the shelf
      comes out as a rectangle.

      After all the shelves have been stitched use these results as input for another
      pano this time stitching using viewpoint correction.
      I would choose either the top or bottom edge of the self as the only place to
      put control points to join the images together. you can use straight line (or
      horizontal line) control points in the middle.
      Again you might want to use vertical or straight line control points on the
      sides to keep them square.

      >> How do people create the 'street view' long panoramas then as they move the tripod along the street, or is it ok because they are a lot further away?
      >>
      >> Andrew

      The problem of shooting in a grid is the parallax of all the objects on the
      shelf will make it really hard to join together without making ghost. The
      'street view' panos I have seen that work have all the houses the same distance
      from the street. Any cars on the road or trees in yards get squished as the
      single plane (the house fronts) get aligned.

      --
      Jim Watters
      http://photocreations.ca