Stereo displays for panoramas -- recent developments

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2011
      LG recently split with mainstream 3d TV trends with its promotion of passive glass solutions. They developed a polarized sheet solution
      http://3dcinecast.blogspot.com/2011/02/passive-3d-with-scanned-retarder-go-or.html
      ..."film patterned retarder". They have a large factory now making this material and can add it to TVs for a lot less than earlier polarized solutions. And the new lot of LG passive TVs are hitting consumer markets now worldwide. This is a boon for those (like myself) interested in 3d panoramas for public display as you dont have to worry about expensive shutter glasses now.

      I have the smallest of the new LG6500 series -- a 42" model and it is very good. You get 4 pairs of glasses with the display. It is a smart TV with a browser, apps etc built in. You can watch 3d Youtube videos (find them with the yt3d tag) and it automatically shows them in good 3d.

      Other developments:
      Toshiba are launching a new laptop end of July in Japan with an eyetracking autostereo display which can show a desktop with a combination of 2d and 3d elements -- ideal for 3d virtual tour concepts with 2d map etc and 3d panorama. Eyetracking is getting very robust and more and more 3d displays will use this I think -- especially laptops.

      Back to 3d TVs for stereo panoramas:
      my stereo panoramas look good on the LG6500 in Stereophoto Maker as scrolling stereo views but the LG like most 3d televisions is meant to accept only a limited range of image pair formats for stereo and this introduces difficulties for interactive (perspectivally corrected) stereo panorama views. It gives a ghostfree view only if the views are in side by side (squashed 50%) horizontally or top/bottom (squished) formats. So you need a viewer that does that ie. is like a standard panorama viewer, two of them side by side, except each window is half squashed laterally. How to do that? With a post-processing shader operation hardware accelerated filter in Unity3d or similar I guess. Could a Flash panorama viewer do that?

      PeterM