PTStitcherNG to use control points

  • Lukas P
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2011
      Hi there,

      I have been working with PTStitcherNG and am interested in FAST panorama creation.
      Currently I grab images from a camera mounted on a pan/tilt mechanism (about 250 images) and generate a PTStitcherNG project file containing the pan/tilt servo angles of all images. PTStitcherNG creates the panorama in <10 seconds. But I'd like to add the use of control points of nearby images to get a better alignment. I found out that this might be feasible with PToptimizer but I have found no tutorial or example project except for the description in the wiki: http://wiki.panotools.org/PTOptimizer.
      Does anyone want to share a tutorial or example project where control points of images are detected and fed to PTStitcherNG to optimize the panorama?

      Besides I am interested in other peoples experience with PTStitcherNG; I'm often getting the same error message "Assertion Failed", for example when changing the output panorama resolution. Is there any further documentation besides the wiki and http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/ ?

      Who is interested in my work can get the relevant stuff here, source code will be made public soon:
      http://balp.paraswift.ch/project.txt (PTStitcherNG project file)
      http://balp.paraswift.ch/capture.txt (file containing pan/tilt angles going from -1 to 1 for 180°, transformed by my software to project.txt)
      http://balp.paraswift.ch/pano.jpeg (Panorama image created by PTStitcherNG which is not yet very well aligned yet)
      http://balp.paraswift.ch/capture.zip (All the captured images - 12MB)

      Cheers,
      Lukas

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2011
        Am 07.06.2011 14:35, schrieb Lukas P:
        > I found out that this might be feasible with PToptimizer but I have
        > found no tutorial or example project except for the description in
        > the wiki:http://wiki.panotools.org/PTOptimizer. Does anyone want to
        > share a tutorial or example project where control points of images
        > are detected and fed to PTStitcherNG to optimize the panorama?

        There's not much more to know. You put your control points in a script
        file, drop it on PTOptimizer and you get a script file with the
        optimized control points which can be used for PTStitcherNG. You can
        f.e. use old autopano to generate control points automatically:
        http://autopano.kolor.com/

      • Jim Watters
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2011
          On 2011-06-07 9:35 AM, Lukas P wrote:
          > Hi there,
          >
          > I have been working with PTStitcherNG and am interested in FAST panorama creation.
          > [snip]
          > Is there any further documentation besides the wiki and http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/ ?
          There is general method of the process using the command line.
          http://wiki.panotools.org/Panorama_scripting_in_a_nutshell

          For finding control points you should look at cpfind.
          http://wiki.panotools.org/Cpfind

          Example of optimizer script is here.
          http://photocreations.ca/panotools/Optimize.txt

          --