Re: smaller camera

  • cvoneinem
    Message 1 of 43 , Jun 5, 2011

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carl von Einem <einem@> wrote:
      > > [...]
      > > <http://www.samyang.pl/article,8,news>
      > > (scroll down for the "7th March, 2011" posting)
      > > [...]
      > > I'd bet they also have tsunami related problems but one could
      > > easily contact the people at samyang.pl, I suppose.
      >
      > I doubt.
      > Samyang is Korean.
      >
      > Hans

      And I doubt that Hasselblad is still Swedish. ;-)
      It's now owned by a Hongkong based company and lenses come from Fujifilm (a Japanese company which btw also produced the XPAN).

      Back to Samyang. I linked to their European distributor's news page. Let me quote from their March 17 posting "Temporary shortage of Samyang lenses between April and May":
      > ...there may be some temporary shortage of Samyang
      > lenses between April and May. This is due to
      > suspension in deliveries of optical lenses produced
      > in Japan by factories located on the area destroyed
      > by the Tsunami wave...

      Several companies rely on Japanese optics. Samyang is Korean but seems to have merged with the Japanese company Seikou in 2004 so there is a possibility that the press release isn't a complete lie (and my claim about the tsunami related problems complete rubbish).
    • Ken Warner
      Message 43 of 43 , Jul 22, 2011
        The problem with adapters is that they need to match the optics
        of the host camera or there will be various kinds of distortions
        from vignetting to severe chromatic aberration to soft corners.

        If you are going for a compact plus wide or fisheye adapter,
        you will get the best results with adapters purpose built
        for that particular camera. The early Nikons like the 5400
        and 8400 worked well (for their day) with the Nikon fisheye adapters.

        So if you are getting a P7000, go to the Nikon web site
        and be sure it is compatible with the fisheye or wide
        angle adapter you use.

        Just selecting adapters because they are available is not
        necessarily going to give you good results.