Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: smaller camera

  • Jan Martin
    Message 1 of 43 , Jun 2, 2011
      I wonder if my prayers will be heard and someone provides original images
      for 4-around
      with GF1 and the 8mm lens?

      Jan

      2011/6/2 Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...>

      > På Thu, 02 Jun 2011 18:45:27 +0200, skrev Ken Warner <
      > kwarner000@...>:
      >
      > > I suggest that a compact camera and a fisheye adapter is not really a
      > good
      > > way to go. With the higher resolution of modern compact cameras, the
      > flaws
      > > of any fisheye adapter will be magnified. Soft edges with lots of CA is
      > > what you can expect.
      > >
      > > I have an LX3 which is one of the best compacts and I tried it with both
      > > the Nikon fisheye lens adapters -- the FC-e8 and FC-e9 and the results
      > were
      > > not useable even with 6 around.
      >
      > You should try with a good fisheye converter before dismissing the solution
      > ;)
      > I've been shooting with a Raynox CF converter for 5 years on an Olympus
      > C-7070, and it still works great :)
      > Very flexible solution, as you can zoom from a circular fisheye to a FF and
      > beyond if you need more pixels. I usually shoot 6000x3000 on the 7Mpx
      > sensor.
      > And I do not get any more CA than with the naked lens. I do get quite a lot
      > of flares though.
      > But the Raynox is big and heavy (~500g).
      > I also have a dSLR setup, which I use a lot less for sphericals.
      > I'll probably buy a Panasonic or Olympus with the 8mm fisheye when I get
      > the money, to get a lighter/smaller setup...
      > The future is non-mirror system cameras :)
      >
      > > You can get good wide angle lenses for compacts. Panasonic makes a very
      > good
      > > wide angle converter, the DMW LW46 which makes about a 18mm lens. You
      > can
      > > do 3x6 around and get very good results.
      >
      > --
      > Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - 3D and panoramas.

      http://www.DIY-streetview.org

    • Ken Warner
      Message 43 of 43 , Jul 22, 2011
        The problem with adapters is that they need to match the optics
        of the host camera or there will be various kinds of distortions
        from vignetting to severe chromatic aberration to soft corners.

        If you are going for a compact plus wide or fisheye adapter,
        you will get the best results with adapters purpose built
        for that particular camera. The early Nikons like the 5400
        and 8400 worked well (for their day) with the Nikon fisheye adapters.

        So if you are getting a P7000, go to the Nikon web site
        and be sure it is compatible with the fisheye or wide
        angle adapter you use.

        Just selecting adapters because they are available is not
        necessarily going to give you good results.