Re: smaller camera

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 43 , Jun 2, 2011
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, web@... wrote:

      > I've been using a D300 and D700 for my panoramas, but am looking for something smaller and lighter for 360s, preferably with raw file storage and video, for remote trips where weight (and saving my back) are a priority. Something like a high-end point and shoot with a fisheye adapter is what I'm thinking of. I've only done a quick search thus far and came across the Lumix fisheye and the GF2 body is the sort of size I'm looking for, but I know nothing about them or how well 360s turn out with it. Any suggestions or links to prior discussions would be appreciated; feel free to contact me directly as well.
      > Thanks,
      > Matt

      You can make very nice sharp panoramas with a Lumix fisheye lens on a GH2 or GF2 I am sure. That lens is very sharp and well corrected (and very small). The GH2 has excellent video quality but image quality of the GH2 or GF2 is not up to Sony Nex level - especially in low light. - is what I read.

      The Nex would be good for panoramas except it has no remote socket. There is a Nex 3 but the successor to the Nex5 isnt here yet. If they dont put a remote socket on that Sony are brain dead.

      Nikon and Pentax are rumored to be releasing mirrorless cameras soon. There is a cheap, <$200, C-mount still camera announced -- coming shortly (name I forget). Can use Fujinon fisheyes on that http://www.fujinon.com.cn/pdf/FE185C046HA-1.pdf .. or maybe on the rumored Pentax which is meant to have a very small format.

      PeterM
    • Ken Warner
      Message 43 of 43 , Jul 22, 2011
        The problem with adapters is that they need to match the optics
        of the host camera or there will be various kinds of distortions
        from vignetting to severe chromatic aberration to soft corners.

        If you are going for a compact plus wide or fisheye adapter,
        you will get the best results with adapters purpose built
        for that particular camera. The early Nikons like the 5400
        and 8400 worked well (for their day) with the Nikon fisheye adapters.

        So if you are getting a P7000, go to the Nikon web site
        and be sure it is compatible with the fisheye or wide
        angle adapter you use.

        Just selecting adapters because they are available is not
        necessarily going to give you good results.