Re: [PanoToolsNG] Beautiful but please get rid of that awful interface....

  • Eric O'Brien
    Message 1 of 5 , May 29, 2011
      Indeed.

      A fabulous idea, but the presentation (aka interface) made me abandon
      exploring in short order.

      eo

      On May 28, 2011, at 9:36 AM, Ken Warner wrote:

      > I sent the following message to both PanoToolsNG and Nick Risinger
      > at SkySurvey.
      >
      > Please redo it using the canonical method for 360 panoramas. There
      > are several really good development environments. I used Flashificator
      > for my demo -- http://flashificator.com/ -- but there are a several
      > others
      > and some with multi-res capability so that you could use a very high
      > resolution image and zoom in on the interesting features you've
      > captured.
      >
      > Brilliant work but the presentation could be better.
      >
      > See my simple demo here:
      > http://pancyl.com/SkySurvey.html

    • Patrick Cheatham
      Message 2 of 5 , May 29, 2011
        Eric & Ken:

        Are you talking about the Milky Way panorama (360° and OpenZoom versions)? Such as:

        http://media.skysurvey.org/interactive360/index.html

        Other than the minor annoyance of a non-fluid pan, I don't find anything objectionable. The authors appear to be using krpano for the 360° tiled presentation ("multi-res"), as well. I thought they did a pretty good job packing a lot of visual information in there, and the interface is about as minimal as it gets.

        If 42,000 likes on Facebook translates into donations at PayPal, maybe Nick Risinger paid for his trip(s)! :-P

        Patrick

        --
        Patrick Cheatham
        patrick@...

        Portfolio: http://patrickcheatham.com
        Facebook: http://facebook.com/360DegreePhotography
        Twitter: http://twitter.com/patrickcheatham

      • Hans
        Message 3 of 5 , May 29, 2011
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Cheatham <patrick@...> wrote:

          > Eric & Ken:
          >
          > Are you talking about the Milky Way panorama (360° and OpenZoom versions)? Such as:
          >
          > http://media.skysurvey.org/interactive360/index.html
          >
          > Other than the minor annoyance of a non-fluid pan, I don't find anything objectionable. The authors appear to be using krpano for the 360° tiled presentation ("multi-res"), as well. I thought they did a pretty good job packing a lot of visual information in there, and the interface is about as minimal as it gets.

          Well they just need to ad maxpixelzoom="1.0"

          Without that it is a PITA to zoom in and out.

          Hans

          Message 4 of 5 , May 29, 2011
            > > http://media.skysurvey.org/interactive360/index.html
            > >
            > > Other than the minor annoyance of a non-fluid pan, I don't find anything objectionable. The authors appear to be using krpano for the 360° tiled presentation ("multi-res"), as well. I thought they did a pretty good job packing a lot of visual information in there, and the interface is about as minimal as it gets.
            >
            > Well they just need to ad maxpixelzoom="1.0"
            >
            > Without that it is a PITA to zoom in and out.
            >
            > Hans

            I can see how not setting the maxpixelzoom might make the experience feel a bit unpolished, from an aesthetic perspective -- but a "pain in the ass"?

            ...I thought the double-click to zoom was a nice useful touch there, too. Overall I think it's a great high-profile example, which took a lot of work, and which raises awareness of photographic 360° panoramas. I congratulate Nick Risinger for it; anything else is just feels nitpicky.

            Cheers,

            Patrick