sky survey

  • web@drmattnolan.org
    Message 1 of 4 , May 28, 2011
      I've been out of touch for quite a while, so maybe this is old news for the forum, but I just stumbled across this panorama project and thought it was really cool http://skysurvey.org/ There is so much detail and beauty there that I never knew existed or could be seen from the ground.
      -Matt
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2011
        Am 28.05.2011 18:04, schrieb web@...:
        > I've been out of touch for quite a while, so maybe this is old news
        > for the forum, but I just stumbled across this panorama project and
        > thought it was really cool http://skysurvey.org/ There is so much
        > detail and beauty there that I never knew existed or could be seen
        > from the ground.

        That has been posted several times now. Interesting that
        http://home.arcor-online.de/axel.mellinger/mwpan_new.html has at least
        as much details fully zoomed in although the pixel count is much smaller...

      • Sacha Griffin
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2011
          How do you gather that I wonder?
          I've compared many similar viewpoints and they aren't even close in
          resolution...
          http://www.seeit360.net/sky_survey.jpg

          I'm pretty sure, you just need to wait for the appropriate resolution to
          finish downloading.
          'The sky survey one is superior in not only resolution but contrast as well.

          -s

          ------------------------------------

          Message 4 of 4 , May 31, 2011
            Am 31.05.2011 18:32, schrieb Sacha Griffin:
            > How do you gather that I wonder?
            > I've compared many similar viewpoints and they aren't even close in
            > resolution...

            > http://www.seeit360.net/sky_survey.jpg

            Is this really the same region? I don't think...

            I zoomed to the center using the openzoom variant, which doesn't allow
            to zoom in as far as Axel's version. The "interactive" version does zoom
            in, but does not provide more detail. I must admit that the Horsehead
            nebula is better in the openzoom version but not in the "interactive"
            one. The Plejades are better in Axel's version.

            Look at some easy to recoginze spots like Andromeda nebula, the
            Magellanic Clouds or Polaris. Sky Survey has large blurred colorless
            blotches where Axel's version has colored dots. In those spots I
            mentioned both provide more or less the same amount of detail.

            > I'm pretty sure, you just need to wait for the appropriate resolution to
            > finish downloading.

            You can be sure I did wait ;-)

            > 'The sky survey one is superior in not only resolution but contrast as well.

            Contrast is post processing. Yes, that's better indeed. But Axel's
            version shows the star colors better.