Re: Wow! Google is going to start massive shooting panos of businesses +

  • Bill Bailey
    Message 1 of 29 , May 15, 2011
      Personally I like to view this as all positive. More businesses and larger
      corporations are buying from us showing a growing interest in wanting to get
      into this industry (see our front page right side column). In the US alone
      there are over 27 million self-employed business of which over 150,000 are
      "professional" photographers (2008 stats). I couldn't imagine how many
      amateurs have cameras that have a want or desire to earn some added income
      and I suspect many are flying under the tax radar so numbers are further
      skewed. Add to that over 30 million businesses in the US with employees and
      expand that to the global market and the numbers are huge.

      It wouldn't matter if we sold 100,000 heads to Google (I wish) the demand
      will always be there. The more exposure overall the industry gets the better
      for all of us so Google is aiding in driving the industry forward. This also
      encourages manufacturers to meet growing demands by adding new products to
      their lineup and producing higher precision heads and rotators at
      competitive prices which ultimately gives consumers more choices.

      A surprising fact that will be of interest to everyone here - and maybe even
      settle a few concerns.
      The "sizable" order we had from Google was NOT for pano heads - it was for
      our precision RD8 advanced rotator with dedicated quick release systems.
      Apparently they wanted to keep it simple and not have to train people to do
      proper VR - no need for it as the resulting parallax was acceptable for
      their needs. One can only conjure up thoughts of the workflows they might
      use.

      @Matt - Kudos on your order for 500 Atomes and in being able to produce them
      in the time frame they had on the project setup. Your 2010 Financials
      (public info) will surely be positive. Guess we should approach Google and
      present them option of R10 at half the price if in fact they are using
      dedicated DSLR's and lens which I'm not convinced they are.
      On your comment about Japanese quality and their businesses being as good as
      it gets -
      Confucius say ..."If we have faults, we are not to not fear
      self-improvement".
      We're always striving to better all aspects of our company and commitment to
      our customers.

      Bill

      Matthew Rogers - 360Precision wrote:

      > Well whenever I post about or mention the Google VRs the negative comments
      > outweigh the positive about 10:1. In some cases you get no positive
      > response. Whether that's short sightedness on part of the photographers is
      > anyones guess.
      >
      > The issue with the Japanese samples however is the quality is really about
      > as good as it gets. OR as good as these businesses would ever want.

      -----
      Bill Bailey L.L.C. dba Nodal Ninja
      Exclusive Distributor Fanotec Products and Leica GS Laser Scanner Adapters
      www.nodalninja.com
      "turning heads and expanding horizons"