insurance

  • Jeffrey Martin
    Message 1 of 10 , May 5 8:35 AM
      a quick question:

      I will borrow some expensive equipment (some camera/lens) and I need to
      insure it. So far I have never insured such stuff.

      What should I do? :-) What's the quickest / easiest? I need to insure it
      only for one month.

      thanks!
      Jeffrey

    • Ron Rack
      Message 2 of 10 , May 5 8:53 AM
        My business insurance covers equipment that I rent (or borrow) check with you business insurer,

        ron rack

        On May 5, 2011, at 11:35 AM, Jeffrey Martin wrote:

        > a quick question:
        >
        > I will borrow some expensive equipment (some camera/lens) and I need to
        > insure it. So far I have never insured such stuff.
        >
        > What should I do? :-) What's the quickest / easiest? I need to insure it
        > only for one month.
        >
        > thanks!
        > Jeffrey

      • prague
        Message 3 of 10 , May 6 5:19 AM
          Thanks Ron.

          Please, doesn't anyone else on this list have insurance??? :-)

          thanks!
          Jeffrey

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ron Rack <ronrack@...> wrote:

          > My business insurance covers equipment that I rent (or borrow) check with you business insurer,
          >
          > ron rack
          >

          > On May 5, 2011, at 11:35 AM, Jeffrey Martin wrote:
          >
          > > a quick question:
          > >
          > > I will borrow some expensive equipment (some camera/lens) and I need to
          > > insure it. So far I have never insured such stuff.
          > >
          > > What should I do? :-) What's the quickest / easiest? I need to insure it
          > > only for one month.
          > >
          > > thanks!
          > > Jeffrey

        • Ian Wood
          Message 4 of 10 , May 6 5:35 AM
            It depends on what your existing insurance covers. Like Ron's, mine also covers rented equipment.

            Ian

            On 6 May 2011, at 13:19, prague wrote:

            > Thanks Ron.
            >
            > Please, doesn't anyone else on this list have insurance??? :-)
            >
            > thanks!
            > Jeffrey
          • jrgen_schrader
            Message 5 of 10 , May 6 5:36 AM
              Sure, but what's your problem?

              I bet they even sell insurances in the Czech Republic and it won't be of any help for you to go to a foreign company.

              So why not ask one of your local bloodsuckers and later we will compare the rates.

              All I can say is that I have an insurance that covers all my technical gear incl. computers and cameras up to a certain amount for almost any risk unless I throw that shit out of the window by purpose.
              Even rented stuff would be covered.

              Cheers
              Jürgen

              Message 6 of 10 , May 6 8:58 AM
                Am 06.05.2011 14:19, schrieb prague:
                > Please, doesn't anyone else on this list have insurance???:-)

                We have a nice insurance agency here in Freiburg called
                "Fairsicherungsladen" which sells a very good photographers insurance
                but I think that won't help you much...

              • Bostjan Burger
                Message 7 of 10 , May 6 11:47 AM
                  I had the
                  insurance for the equipment but now I don't have it anymore. The reason is that
                  I have figured out that I was too naive when I had expected that I will get back
                  the value of the camera in case that I broke it. My last insurance was in 2009
                  and for the camera with the value of 6000 Euros. The cost of the insurance for
                  one year was 500 Euros. After three months I broke my camera and was happy that
                  I had the insurance. But I have received only ~ 700 Euros – it was a bit more.
                  I thought that it was a mistake but the answer of the insurance company – the most
                  (so-called) respectable in my area was that they considered the amortization of
                  the camera and they counted the amortization of the cheapest camera with
                  similar characteristics. I tried to explain that my D3x is not same as EOS
                  5DMK2 and that I had insured for the value of 6K and not 2.5 K. Nothing helped…
                  and I felt lake a character in Kafka's novel. I believe that can happen only in
                  my country which seems to be not grown up yet. The logic of insurance companies
                  seems like that you buy a 1000 mm Canon lens for 15K, pay for that value but
                  when something happen they will consider price of Samyang 1000 mm for 200 Euros.
                  I suggest you to not believe the world of mouth, or standard paragraphs of any
                  insurance company but let them written the simulation »what if…« and proof
                  their statement on a court of justice or similar.

                  Bostjan

                  ________________________________
                  > Please, doesn't anyone else on this list have insurance???:-)

                  We have a nice insurance agency here in Freiburg called
                  "Fairsicherungsladen" which sells a very good photographers insurance
                  but I think that won't help you much...

                • Robert Lesac
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 7 3:28 AM
                    On 6.5.2011. 20:47, Bostjan Burger wrote:

                    > I felt lake a character in Kafka's novel. I believe that can happen only in
                    > my country which seems to be not grown up yet.

                    Don't worry, Croatia is similar if not worse :D
                    Unique things can happen in these parts.

                    --

                    Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com
                  • Bruce Hemming
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 7 6:43 AM
                      Hi Jeffrey

                      You might want to ask about 'goods in trust' insurance - this is to
                      cover anything not owned by you but in your care for a short period of
                      time. I recently had to arrange this type of cover for artwork and
                      paintings on a recent editorial shoot and the premium was £50 for
                      goods up to the value of £25000. It was quick and easy to arrange and
                      I thought it good value for the protection offered.
                      Regards

                      Bruce

                      Bruce Hemming
                      Bruce Hemming Photography
                      Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
                      Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
                      e-Mail: bruce@...
                      Skype: bhemmingphoto
                      web : http://www.bhphoto.biz/
                      web : http://www.bhphoto.biz/panorama

                      This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be legally
                      privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please advise bruce@...
                      . Dissemination, distribution, copying or other use is strictly
                      prohibited. The reliability of this method of communication cannot be
                      guaranteed. It can be intercepted, corrupted, delayed, may arrive
                      incomplete, contain viruses or be affected by other interference.
                      Bruce Hemming Photography has taken all reasonable steps to reduce
                      risks against viruses but cannot accept liability for any damage
                      sustained as a result of this transmission.
                    • Patrick Cheatham
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 7 10:16 AM
                        > Please, doesn't anyone else on this list have insurance??? :-)
                        >
                        > thanks!
                        > Jeffrey

                        Jeffrey:

                        I have Hartford (via USAA) business insurance. Rather than covering me for amortized amounts &/or depreciation values of goods owned, they cover a dollar amount (which I provide) of cost to replace goods. Adding rented items and/or a vendor on a per-use basis just takes a phone call, and is cheap; likewise adding & removing liability coverage on a per-job basis is easy.

                        They cover me and my stuffs wherever I am. I also have renter's insurance, which covers all my personal and office stuff (including camera gear, again).

                        HTH,

                        Patrick

                        --
                        Patrick Cheatham