Re: [PanoToolsNG] Lumix DMC-LX5 OT

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 14 , May 4, 2011
      On Thu, 05 May 2011 07:45:38 +0900, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I wonder, if there is anybody on this list who uses this camera. I'm
      > thinking of getting it and wanted an input from actual user.
      > I think I would like it for carry around camera and because it has Leica
      > Summicron lens. I read some reviews, but it's not the same as getting a
      > first hand opinion. Another consideration would be Fuji X100, but its
      > cost is a little to steep.
      > Thank you!

      This isn't an answer to your question, I'm afraid, but a response to
      the question it poses in my mind. They are two such completely different
      cameras that it is hard to think why you would be considering them as
      alternatives. Like you, I find the Fuji X100 very attractive but the
      price a little too steep. It is a very innovative camera, with the
      form factor, looks and handling of a rangefinder but with the latest
      electronic enhancements cleverly crafted into a combination with an
      optical finder. Very nice! So I'm with you there. But I would not even
      LOOK at a Lumix LX5. Summicron lens, yes! But the Fuji lens on the X100
      is no slouch according to the Japanese camera mags.

      Roger

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com
    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 14 , May 4, 2011
        There is no right or wrong camera -- just the camera you have.

        Roger D. Williams wrote:
        > On Thu, 05 May 2011 12:06:22 +0900, Roger D. Williams
        > <roger@...> wrote:
        >

        > Sorry, I was unthinkingly harsh in my comment on the LX5. I take that
        > back. It is a fine camera, just not my taste. I expect to be duly
        > reprimanded by those who use and like it.
        >
        > Roger W.
        >
        >> On Thu, 05 May 2011 07:45:38 +0900, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:
        >>
        >>> Hi,
        >>> I wonder, if there is anybody on this list who uses this camera. I'm
        >>> thinking of getting it and wanted an input from actual user.
        >>> I think I would like it for carry around camera and because it has Leica
        >>> Summicron lens. I read some reviews, but it's not the same as getting a
        >>> first hand opinion. Another consideration would be Fuji X100, but its
        >>> cost is a little to steep.
        >>> Thank you!
        >> This isn't an answer to your question, I'm afraid, but a response to
        >> the question it poses in my mind. They are two such completely different
        >> cameras that it is hard to think why you would be considering them as
        >> alternatives. Like you, I find the Fuji X100 very attractive but the
        >> price a little too steep. It is a very innovative camera, with the
        >> form factor, looks and handling of a rangefinder but with the latest
        >> electronic enhancements cleverly crafted into a combination with an
        >> optical finder. Very nice! So I'm with you there. But I would not even
        >> LOOK at a Lumix LX5. Summicron lens, yes! But the Fuji lens on the X100
        >> is no slouch according to the Japanese camera mags.
        >>
        >> Roger

      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 14 , May 4, 2011

          --
          Work: www.adex-japan.com
        • A Kielcz
          Message 4 of 14 , May 5, 2011
            I like both panos and especially Owens Valley. It's very sharp and nice color.
            Thank you!

            A Kielcz

            Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

            Message 5 of 14 , May 5, 2011
              Do you also have DMS-LVF1 adapter?

              A Kielcz

              Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

              Message 6 of 14 , May 5, 2011
                No. I only use the LX3 for panos and I only use the LCD
                for setting up the exposure, focus and color balance. I
                never frame. If I was street shooting I would consider it....

                A Kielcz wrote:
                > Do you also have DMS-LVF1 adapter?
                >
                > A Kielcz
                >
                > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

              • prague
                Message 7 of 14 , May 6, 2011
                  you're right Ken. there's no right or wrong camera, just the camera you have....
                  ...and the camera you don't have but left at home. ;-)

                  which is why my 5 megapixel nexus-S camera (phone) is one of the best cameras you can own :-)

                  (and equal in quality to iphone 4 camera -
                  http://blog.360cities.net/camera-phone-death-match-iphone-4-nexus-s-camera-comparison/
                  )

                  > There is no right or wrong camera -- just the camera you have.
                  >
                  > Roger D. Williams wrote:
                  > > On Thu, 05 May 2011 12:06:22 +0900, Roger D. Williams
                  > > <roger@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Sorry, I was unthinkingly harsh in my comment on the LX5. I take that
                  > > back. It is a fine camera, just not my taste. I expect to be duly
                  > > reprimanded by those who use and like it.
                  > >
                  > > Roger W.

                  > >> This isn't an answer to your question, I'm afraid, but a response to
                  > >> the question it poses in my mind. They are two such completely different
                  > >> cameras that it is hard to think why you would be considering them as
                  > >> alternatives. Like you, I find the Fuji X100 very attractive but the
                  > >> price a little too steep. It is a very innovative camera, with the
                  > >> form factor, looks and handling of a rangefinder but with the latest
                  > >> electronic enhancements cleverly crafted into a combination with an
                  > >> optical finder. Very nice! So I'm with you there. But I would not even
                  > >> LOOK at a Lumix LX5. Summicron lens, yes! But the Fuji lens on the X100
                  > >> is no slouch according to the Japanese camera mags.
                  > >>
                  > >> Roger

                • 1drey
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 6, 2011
                    I've got LX-3 - same as LX-5 by specs, inner algorithms and 'ideology', with
                    only difference in the zoom range (LX5 has 90mm at the long end vs. 60 of
                    LX3).

                    Great camera in many situations with plenty of manual control. The only
                    drawback - relatively weak performance when set at high ISO (800+).

                    Fuji X100 looks hype, but it has a major shortcoming - the fixed lens.

                  • A Kielcz
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 6, 2011
                      Amen, to fixed lens.
                      Maybe X300 will have zoom?