Re: [PanoToolsNG] Need massive mobile pano processing capability? ..

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4, 2011
      On Wed, 04 May 2011 17:55:07 +0900, panovrx <panovrx@...> wrote:

      > .. just get one of these mobile visual effects supercomputers on
      > wheels to drive around behind you :-)
      > http://www.awn.com/blogs/idea-pioneers/silverdraft-mobileviz-first-look

      I wonder if I will still be around when they condense this into a laptop?

      Roger W.

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com
    • Wim Koornneef
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4, 2011
        Roger D. Williams wrote:
        > ....I wonder if I will still be around when they condense this into a
        > laptop.....

        Hello Roger,

        If you can hold on for another 3+ decades or so you probably will. ;-)

        In retrospect, in 1984 I bought my first hard disk, a big metal box with a
        noisy drive inside of 20 MB, cost approx. 1000 gulden=450 euro, volume of
        the box approx. 3.5 liter.
        Recently I bought a 2 TB HD, cost 187 euro with a volume of approx. 1.5
        liter.....

        If I needed 2 TB disk space in 1984 (and could effort it !) I would have to
        couple 100,000 HD's in a super raid with a total volume of 350 m3, I guess
        that is approx. 3 times more then the volume of the mobile studio
        container....

        If we keep on breathing we all will have a truck full of computing power in
        our pockets some time ;-)

        Wim

      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 8 , May 6, 2011
          On Thu, 05 May 2011 14:46:45 +0900, Wim Koornneef
          <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

          > Roger D. Williams wrote:
          >> ....I wonder if I will still be around when they condense this into a
          >> laptop.....
          >
          > Hello Roger,
          >
          > If you can hold on for another 3+ decades or so you probably will. ;-)

          That would make me, let's see, just about 103 years old. Hmmm.

          Well, I can live in home. My first mass storage device, a significant
          upgrade from tape recordings of 300 baud modem signals, was a 35kb
          floppy disk. Those were the days...

          When I got my first 10MB hard disk, for one of the early IBM desktops,
          I seriously wondered how I could ever possible fill it.

          Roger W.

          > In retrospect, in 1984 I bought my first hard disk, a big metal box
          > with a
          > noisy drive inside of 20 MB, cost approx. 1000 gulden=450 euro, volume of
          > the box approx. 3.5 liter.
          > Recently I bought a 2 TB HD, cost 187 euro with a volume of approx. 1.5
          > liter.....
          >
          > If I needed 2 TB disk space in 1984 (and could effort it !) I would have
          > couple 100,000 HD's in a super raid with a total volume of 350 m3, I
          > guess
          > that is approx. 3 times more then the volume of the mobile studio
          > container....
          >
          > If we keep on breathing we all will have a truck full of computing power
          > in
          > our pockets some time ;-)
          >
          > Wim

          Work: www.adex-japan.com
        • Christian Bloch
          Message 4 of 8 , May 7, 2011
            > > If we keep on breathing we all will have a truck full of computing power
            > > in our pockets some time ;-)

            And even then there will be trucks and massive farms of that technology. Which must be so powerful that it scares me... ;)

            But, seriously now, has anybody ever setup a pano render on the farm? Because we have a decent 70-node farm, and it would come in very handy for those gigapixel renders...

            Blochi

            Message 5 of 8 , May 7, 2011
              Am 07.05.2011 10:47, schrieb Christian Bloch:
              > But, seriously now, has anybody ever setup a pano render on the farm?
              > Because we have a decent 70-node farm, and it would come in very
              > handy for those gigapixel renders...

              Should be easy using the slicer by Bernhard Vogl:
              http://dativ.at/slicer/index.html Then distribute the project files to
              the different computers...