Re: [PanoToolsNG] Lumix DMC-LX5 OT

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 14 , May 4, 2011
      I got lucky...

      Ron Rack wrote:
      > Ken,
      > Those are nice panos.
      >
      > ron rack
      >
      > On May 4, 2011, at 8:12 PM, Ken Warner wrote:
      >
      >> I use an LX3 -- almost the same camera. You can compare the LX3/5 on
      >> dpreview. Compare it image to image to the Sony Nex 3/5 and pick any Canon APS-C camera
      >> and you will be surprised at how well the LX3/5 looks in comparison.
      >>
      >> The only little glitch with the LX3/5 is the default color settings.
      >> But you can get close to Canon color with just a few tweeks of the
      >> color temp and the color bias.
      >>
      >> Here's a recent pano --- 3 rows X 8
      >> http://pancyl.com/OwensValley.html
      >>
      >> The other problem is that there really is no fisheye solution for the
      >> LX3/5. The best option is the Panasonic DMW-LW46 wide angle converter
      >> which gives you about an 18mm wide angle. The camera software is
      >> designed to use that wide angle and the results are sharp corner to corner
      >>
      >> Here's a sample pano taken with the Panasonic DMW-LW46 --- 3 rows X 6
      >> http://pancyl.com/BackYardSnow.html
      >>
      >> A Kielcz wrote:
      >>> Hi,
      >>> I wonder, if there is anybody on this list who uses this camera. I'm thinking of getting it and wanted an input from actual user.
      >>> I think I would like it for carry around camera and because it has Leica Summicron lens. I read some reviews, but it's not the same as getting a first hand opinion. Another consideration would be Fuji X100, but its cost is a little to steep.
      >>> Thank you!
      >>>
      >>> A Kielcz
      >>>
      >>> Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

    • Roger D. Williams
      Message 2 of 14 , May 4, 2011
        On Thu, 05 May 2011 07:45:38 +0900, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I wonder, if there is anybody on this list who uses this camera. I'm
        > thinking of getting it and wanted an input from actual user.
        > I think I would like it for carry around camera and because it has Leica
        > Summicron lens. I read some reviews, but it's not the same as getting a
        > first hand opinion. Another consideration would be Fuji X100, but its
        > cost is a little to steep.
        > Thank you!

        This isn't an answer to your question, I'm afraid, but a response to
        the question it poses in my mind. They are two such completely different
        cameras that it is hard to think why you would be considering them as
        alternatives. Like you, I find the Fuji X100 very attractive but the
        price a little too steep. It is a very innovative camera, with the
        form factor, looks and handling of a rangefinder but with the latest
        electronic enhancements cleverly crafted into a combination with an
        optical finder. Very nice! So I'm with you there. But I would not even
        LOOK at a Lumix LX5. Summicron lens, yes! But the Fuji lens on the X100
        is no slouch according to the Japanese camera mags.

        Roger

        --
        Work: www.adex-japan.com
      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 14 , May 4, 2011
          There is no right or wrong camera -- just the camera you have.

          Roger D. Williams wrote:
          > On Thu, 05 May 2011 12:06:22 +0900, Roger D. Williams
          > <roger@...> wrote:
          >

          > Sorry, I was unthinkingly harsh in my comment on the LX5. I take that
          > back. It is a fine camera, just not my taste. I expect to be duly
          > reprimanded by those who use and like it.
          >
          > Roger W.
          >
          >> On Thu, 05 May 2011 07:45:38 +0900, A Kielcz <roblee007@...> wrote:
          >>
          >>> Hi,
          >>> I wonder, if there is anybody on this list who uses this camera. I'm
          >>> thinking of getting it and wanted an input from actual user.
          >>> I think I would like it for carry around camera and because it has Leica
          >>> Summicron lens. I read some reviews, but it's not the same as getting a
          >>> first hand opinion. Another consideration would be Fuji X100, but its
          >>> cost is a little to steep.
          >>> Thank you!
          >> This isn't an answer to your question, I'm afraid, but a response to
          >> the question it poses in my mind. They are two such completely different
          >> cameras that it is hard to think why you would be considering them as
          >> alternatives. Like you, I find the Fuji X100 very attractive but the
          >> price a little too steep. It is a very innovative camera, with the
          >> form factor, looks and handling of a rangefinder but with the latest
          >> electronic enhancements cleverly crafted into a combination with an
          >> optical finder. Very nice! So I'm with you there. But I would not even
          >> LOOK at a Lumix LX5. Summicron lens, yes! But the Fuji lens on the X100
          >> is no slouch according to the Japanese camera mags.
          >>
          >> Roger

        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 14 , May 4, 2011

            --
            Work: www.adex-japan.com
          • A Kielcz
            Message 5 of 14 , May 5, 2011
              I like both panos and especially Owens Valley. It's very sharp and nice color.
              Thank you!

              A Kielcz

              Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

              Message 6 of 14 , May 5, 2011
                Do you also have DMS-LVF1 adapter?

                A Kielcz

                Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

                Message 7 of 14 , May 5, 2011
                  No. I only use the LX3 for panos and I only use the LCD
                  for setting up the exposure, focus and color balance. I
                  never frame. If I was street shooting I would consider it....

                  A Kielcz wrote:
                  > Do you also have DMS-LVF1 adapter?
                  >
                  > A Kielcz
                  >
                  > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

                • prague
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 6, 2011
                    you're right Ken. there's no right or wrong camera, just the camera you have....
                    ...and the camera you don't have but left at home. ;-)

                    which is why my 5 megapixel nexus-S camera (phone) is one of the best cameras you can own :-)

                    (and equal in quality to iphone 4 camera -
                    http://blog.360cities.net/camera-phone-death-match-iphone-4-nexus-s-camera-comparison/
                    )

                    > There is no right or wrong camera -- just the camera you have.
                    >
                    > Roger D. Williams wrote:
                    > > On Thu, 05 May 2011 12:06:22 +0900, Roger D. Williams
                    > > <roger@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Sorry, I was unthinkingly harsh in my comment on the LX5. I take that
                    > > back. It is a fine camera, just not my taste. I expect to be duly
                    > > reprimanded by those who use and like it.
                    > >
                    > > Roger W.

                    > >> This isn't an answer to your question, I'm afraid, but a response to
                    > >> the question it poses in my mind. They are two such completely different
                    > >> cameras that it is hard to think why you would be considering them as
                    > >> alternatives. Like you, I find the Fuji X100 very attractive but the
                    > >> price a little too steep. It is a very innovative camera, with the
                    > >> form factor, looks and handling of a rangefinder but with the latest
                    > >> electronic enhancements cleverly crafted into a combination with an
                    > >> optical finder. Very nice! So I'm with you there. But I would not even
                    > >> LOOK at a Lumix LX5. Summicron lens, yes! But the Fuji lens on the X100
                    > >> is no slouch according to the Japanese camera mags.
                    > >>
                    > >> Roger

                  • 1drey
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 6, 2011
                      I've got LX-3 - same as LX-5 by specs, inner algorithms and 'ideology', with
                      only difference in the zoom range (LX5 has 90mm at the long end vs. 60 of
                      LX3).

                      Great camera in many situations with plenty of manual control. The only
                      drawback - relatively weak performance when set at high ISO (800+).

                      Fuji X100 looks hype, but it has a major shortcoming - the fixed lens.

                    • A Kielcz
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 6, 2011
                        Amen, to fixed lens.
                        Maybe X300 will have zoom?