Re: Need massive mobile pano processing capability? ..

  • jrgen_schrader
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4, 2011
      Hm - could be a suitable base for the NexGen GSV with Gigapixels :)

      Jürgen

      > .. just get one of these mobile visual effects supercomputers on wheels to drive around behind you :-)
      > http://www.awn.com/blogs/idea-pioneers/silverdraft-mobileviz-first-look
      >
      > PeterM

    • Christian Bloch
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4, 2011
        That's a pretty awesome truck!
        We actually talked about settings up a branch on wheels like this before. Mainly, because film production companies tend to do work in obscure states for tax rebate reasons, but those tax rebates also require hiring someone local... They actually mention this in the article as well.

        .Blochi

        On May 4, 2011, at 2:36 AM, jrgen_schrader wrote:

        > Hm - could be a suitable base for the NexGen GSV with Gigapixels :)
        >
        > J�rgen
        >
        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > .. just get one of these mobile visual effects supercomputers on wheels to drive around behind you :-)
        > > http://www.awn.com/blogs/idea-pioneers/silverdraft-mobileviz-first-look
        > >
        > > PeterM

      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4, 2011
          On Wed, 04 May 2011 17:55:07 +0900, panovrx <panovrx@...> wrote:

          > .. just get one of these mobile visual effects supercomputers on
          > wheels to drive around behind you :-)
          > http://www.awn.com/blogs/idea-pioneers/silverdraft-mobileviz-first-look

          I wonder if I will still be around when they condense this into a laptop?

          Roger W.

          --
          Work: www.adex-japan.com
        • Wim Koornneef
          Message 4 of 8 , May 4, 2011
            Roger D. Williams wrote:
            > ....I wonder if I will still be around when they condense this into a
            > laptop.....

            Hello Roger,

            If you can hold on for another 3+ decades or so you probably will. ;-)

            In retrospect, in 1984 I bought my first hard disk, a big metal box with a
            noisy drive inside of 20 MB, cost approx. 1000 gulden=450 euro, volume of
            the box approx. 3.5 liter.
            Recently I bought a 2 TB HD, cost 187 euro with a volume of approx. 1.5
            liter.....

            If I needed 2 TB disk space in 1984 (and could effort it !) I would have to
            couple 100,000 HD's in a super raid with a total volume of 350 m3, I guess
            that is approx. 3 times more then the volume of the mobile studio
            container....

            If we keep on breathing we all will have a truck full of computing power in
            our pockets some time ;-)

            Wim

          • Roger D. Williams
            Message 5 of 8 , May 6, 2011
              On Thu, 05 May 2011 14:46:45 +0900, Wim Koornneef
              <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

              > Roger D. Williams wrote:
              >> ....I wonder if I will still be around when they condense this into a
              >> laptop.....
              >
              > Hello Roger,
              >
              > If you can hold on for another 3+ decades or so you probably will. ;-)

              That would make me, let's see, just about 103 years old. Hmmm.

              Well, I can live in home. My first mass storage device, a significant
              upgrade from tape recordings of 300 baud modem signals, was a 35kb
              floppy disk. Those were the days...

              When I got my first 10MB hard disk, for one of the early IBM desktops,
              I seriously wondered how I could ever possible fill it.

              Roger W.

              > In retrospect, in 1984 I bought my first hard disk, a big metal box
              > with a
              > noisy drive inside of 20 MB, cost approx. 1000 gulden=450 euro, volume of
              > the box approx. 3.5 liter.
              > Recently I bought a 2 TB HD, cost 187 euro with a volume of approx. 1.5
              > liter.....
              >
              > If I needed 2 TB disk space in 1984 (and could effort it !) I would have
              > couple 100,000 HD's in a super raid with a total volume of 350 m3, I
              > guess
              > that is approx. 3 times more then the volume of the mobile studio
              > container....
              >
              > If we keep on breathing we all will have a truck full of computing power
              > in
              > our pockets some time ;-)
              >
              > Wim

              Work: www.adex-japan.com
            • Christian Bloch
              Message 6 of 8 , May 7, 2011
                > > If we keep on breathing we all will have a truck full of computing power
                > > in our pockets some time ;-)

                And even then there will be trucks and massive farms of that technology. Which must be so powerful that it scares me... ;)

                But, seriously now, has anybody ever setup a pano render on the farm? Because we have a decent 70-node farm, and it would come in very handy for those gigapixel renders...

                Blochi

                Message 7 of 8 , May 7, 2011
                  Am 07.05.2011 10:47, schrieb Christian Bloch:
                  > But, seriously now, has anybody ever setup a pano render on the farm?
                  > Because we have a decent 70-node farm, and it would come in very
                  > handy for those gigapixel renders...

                  Should be easy using the slicer by Bernhard Vogl:
                  http://dativ.at/slicer/index.html Then distribute the project files to
                  the different computers...