Need massive mobile pano processing capability? ..

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 8 , May 4, 2011
      .. just get one of these mobile visual effects supercomputers on wheels to drive around behind you :-)
      http://www.awn.com/blogs/idea-pioneers/silverdraft-mobileviz-first-look

      PeterM
    • jrgen_schrader
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4, 2011
        Hm - could be a suitable base for the NexGen GSV with Gigapixels :)

        Jürgen

        > .. just get one of these mobile visual effects supercomputers on wheels to drive around behind you :-)
        > http://www.awn.com/blogs/idea-pioneers/silverdraft-mobileviz-first-look
        >
        > PeterM

      • Christian Bloch
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4, 2011
          That's a pretty awesome truck!
          We actually talked about settings up a branch on wheels like this before. Mainly, because film production companies tend to do work in obscure states for tax rebate reasons, but those tax rebates also require hiring someone local... They actually mention this in the article as well.

          .Blochi

          On May 4, 2011, at 2:36 AM, jrgen_schrader wrote:

          > Hm - could be a suitable base for the NexGen GSV with Gigapixels :)
          >
          > J�rgen
          >
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > .. just get one of these mobile visual effects supercomputers on wheels to drive around behind you :-)
          > > http://www.awn.com/blogs/idea-pioneers/silverdraft-mobileviz-first-look
          > >
          > > PeterM

        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 8 , May 4, 2011
            On Wed, 04 May 2011 17:55:07 +0900, panovrx <panovrx@...> wrote:

            > .. just get one of these mobile visual effects supercomputers on
            > wheels to drive around behind you :-)
            > http://www.awn.com/blogs/idea-pioneers/silverdraft-mobileviz-first-look

            I wonder if I will still be around when they condense this into a laptop?

            Roger W.

            --
            Work: www.adex-japan.com
          • Wim Koornneef
            Message 5 of 8 , May 4, 2011
              Roger D. Williams wrote:
              > ....I wonder if I will still be around when they condense this into a
              > laptop.....

              Hello Roger,

              If you can hold on for another 3+ decades or so you probably will. ;-)

              In retrospect, in 1984 I bought my first hard disk, a big metal box with a
              noisy drive inside of 20 MB, cost approx. 1000 gulden=450 euro, volume of
              the box approx. 3.5 liter.
              Recently I bought a 2 TB HD, cost 187 euro with a volume of approx. 1.5
              liter.....

              If I needed 2 TB disk space in 1984 (and could effort it !) I would have to
              couple 100,000 HD's in a super raid with a total volume of 350 m3, I guess
              that is approx. 3 times more then the volume of the mobile studio
              container....

              If we keep on breathing we all will have a truck full of computing power in
              our pockets some time ;-)

              Wim

            • Roger D. Williams
              Message 6 of 8 , May 6, 2011
                On Thu, 05 May 2011 14:46:45 +0900, Wim Koornneef
                <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

                > Roger D. Williams wrote:
                >> ....I wonder if I will still be around when they condense this into a
                >> laptop.....
                >
                > Hello Roger,
                >
                > If you can hold on for another 3+ decades or so you probably will. ;-)

                That would make me, let's see, just about 103 years old. Hmmm.

                Well, I can live in home. My first mass storage device, a significant
                upgrade from tape recordings of 300 baud modem signals, was a 35kb
                floppy disk. Those were the days...

                When I got my first 10MB hard disk, for one of the early IBM desktops,
                I seriously wondered how I could ever possible fill it.

                Roger W.

                > In retrospect, in 1984 I bought my first hard disk, a big metal box
                > with a
                > noisy drive inside of 20 MB, cost approx. 1000 gulden=450 euro, volume of
                > the box approx. 3.5 liter.
                > Recently I bought a 2 TB HD, cost 187 euro with a volume of approx. 1.5
                > liter.....
                >
                > If I needed 2 TB disk space in 1984 (and could effort it !) I would have
                > couple 100,000 HD's in a super raid with a total volume of 350 m3, I
                > guess
                > that is approx. 3 times more then the volume of the mobile studio
                > container....
                >
                > If we keep on breathing we all will have a truck full of computing power
                > in
                > our pockets some time ;-)
                >
                > Wim

                Work: www.adex-japan.com
              • Christian Bloch
                Message 7 of 8 , May 7, 2011
                  > > If we keep on breathing we all will have a truck full of computing power
                  > > in our pockets some time ;-)

                  And even then there will be trucks and massive farms of that technology. Which must be so powerful that it scares me... ;)

                  But, seriously now, has anybody ever setup a pano render on the farm? Because we have a decent 70-node farm, and it would come in very handy for those gigapixel renders...

                  Blochi

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 7, 2011
                    Am 07.05.2011 10:47, schrieb Christian Bloch:
                    > But, seriously now, has anybody ever setup a pano render on the farm?
                    > Because we have a decent 70-node farm, and it would come in very
                    > handy for those gigapixel renders...

                    Should be easy using the slicer by Bernhard Vogl:
                    http://dativ.at/slicer/index.html Then distribute the project files to
                    the different computers...