Re: ivrpa patent fund

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 79 , May 3, 2011
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Rogers - 360Precision <matthew@...> wrote:

      > What is VERY INTERESTING from the link however is Fig1 which I've not seen. For some reason the patent site I use didn't have these available :(
      >
      > You have to remember that a patent has to be able to explain the process to an average skilled person in the industry. If you asked anyone what an interface encompassing image capture means we'd all have the same conclusion. Surely nobody would interchange capturing images with simply loading them ???
      >
      > This figure is all I need to see. I've read all the posts regarding prior art etc and they're completely useless. This patent does not claim to have invented:
      >
      > 1. Spherical Images
      > 2. Using fisheye images to create spherical images.
      > 3. Cubic images
      > 4. Ipix images
      > 5. ... etc etc
      >
      > It's not a patent that claims an invention but a method patent that shows a system that improves on the existing systems of the time. And to be honest it does. For any prior art to be valid you will need to show a user interface that encompasses:
      >
      > 1. Capturing the images
      > 2. Determine the lens parameters through a user controllable interface
      > 3. Convert the images to the two hemispheres
      > 4. Stitch/Assemble the spherical image
      > 5. Save the image
      > 6. Map the spherical image as cube faces.
      >
      > Unless you can find an application/interface prior to 2001 that did this then you guys are wasting your time and everyones money. This figure makes Handals claims even more outrageous but I'm still not sure how you'd stop them.
      >
      > From my perspective the strategy needs to be changed from one of invalidating the patent to legally stopping Handal from making false legal claims.
      >
      > Now lets hypothetically say for one minute that we are infringing his patent and he is owed licensing fees. As the patent owner is classified as a NON MARKET PARTICIPANT the scope of his claims for licensing fees are extremely small. These guys have NO system that they using, they've not created any application and they're not producing content for anyone.
      >
      > The only reason Ipix won such a large claim was they not only provided the hardware and software but also had paying clients for content. The $1m figure was also based on projected forecasts from the Infinite Pics business plan and we all know how accurate these >figures were during the dot com era. I guess the business plan was great for conning >capital for investment but not so funny when used to settle a lawsuit. So I guess you really
      >can't have you cake and eat it.

      You forgot to mention these claims.
      A complete visualization from all directions is provided, reproducing all the freedom degrees in a three-dimensional space.

      and further on:

      Therefore a need exists for a system and method, which solves the problems and difficulties of the prior art and increases the capabilities o three dimensional visualization of digitally rendered images

      Even if there are a lot of miss use of names for what we do we do not do 3D images.

      Hans

      > Matt
      >
      > On 3 May 2011, at 05:49, Scott Witte wrote:
      >
      > > US Patent 6,754,400
      > > <http://www.google.com/patents?id=KjQSAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false>
      > >
      > > Your friends perspective is very much appreciated. As is your
      > > willingness to discuss it with him. Thanks.
      > >
      > > Scott
      > >
      > > On 5/2/2011 2:26 AM, Matthew Rogers - 360Precision wrote:
      > > > Scott,
      > > >
      > > > Can you please post a link to the file wrapper for the patent application. Once I've read that I can discuss this with my friend.
      > >
      > > --
      > > Scott Witte
      > >
      > > <http://www.scottwitte.com>
      > > <http://www.tourdeforce360.com>
      > > 414.345.9660
      > > Member, IVRPA

    • djaurand
      Message 79 of 79 , May 5, 2011
        Scott
        Henry mentioned he hasn't heard from Handal in a little while after just a token effort disputing his claims

        And I was thinking the letter from one of IVRPA's attorneys working on this might provide a little comfort to our customers, the ones being being theatened, being from an....attorney with a different view

        You guys are playing for the long game, but there's a short game too

        Like keeping customers and getting more business

        Doug Aurand