Re: [PanoToolsNG] Learned from the List

  • Roger D. Williams
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2011
      On Tue, 03 May 2011 12:36:33 +0900, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>
      wrote:

      > Roger, you are exactly right. Cylindrical images need a cylindrical
      > projection. Most viewers use a gnomic projection assuming that the
      > image they are projecting is a spherical image. A cylindrical image
      > projected gnomically will have verticals that converge toward the poles.
      >
      > If DevalVR does handle cylindrical projections correctly, that would be a
      > very good thing for architectural scenes.

      Yes, and there's a fairly easy (though not universally applicable) way
      of differentiating between cylindrical and spherical projections. If
      the image has a width that is exactly double the height, then it is
      usually safe to assume "spherical" and if not, well, not.

      Roger W.

      --
      Work: www.adex-japan.com
    • fierodeval
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2011
        Hi Roger,

        Yes, DevalVR works as you wrote, if the proportion is aproximately 2:1 the projection used is "spherical", if not it uses "cylindrical", this is true in 99% of cases. Maybe the stitching program could add an EXIF code to solve this ambiguity in the JPEG, I don't know.

        Anyway, I added the projection options in the context menu of the player since one year ago, so projection can be changed easily.

        regards!
        fiero