RE: [PanoToolsNG] Learned from the List

  • Sacha Griffin
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2011
      I see.

      Then Roger isn't going to be able to control your deval player's choice of
      projection via any embedded xml data from his jpg image.

      That would be interesting though.

      As to why, you'd have to contact the author of deval vr.

      Fiero.

      From: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
      From: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
      From: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2011
        On Tue, 03 May 2011 04:48:15 +0900, Briar <briar_bentley@...> wrote:

        > Amazing how quickly other peoples' situation goes to the back of our
        > minds.
        > The international news no longer concentrates on the efforts of the brave
        > folk who still battle with the nuclear plants in your country. But thank
        > goodness you still have somewhere like this to "rest and renew"
        >

        > My question, and admiration for your pan is how you manage to set it so
        > there is no distortion when moving up or down. In most pans a building
        > will
        > "bend" towards the centre as you move higher up. In this everything
        > remains
        > vertical. How?

        Thanks for the feedback, Briar. Since I see from a later post that you use
        DevalVR, as I do, I am not sure what you mean about the "bending" of
        verticals. I have only ever seen this once with DevalVR, when I used it
        to view a panorama taken with a rotary camera that generates cylindrical
        projections by default. If you are taking cylindrical panoramas, then
        DevalVR will normally default to treating them as spherical projections,
        and this bends the verticals as you near the top and bottom of the image.

        I haven't updated DevalVR recently, so it may well be coping properly
        with cylindrical projections by now. The author kindly provided me with
        a version that DID handle them properly, but I overwrote it with a later
        upgrade that lacked this ability and as I no longer generate cylindrical
        projections I haven't done anything about it.

        Other than that I can't think what might be responsible for "bending," as
        the verticals always remain straight even as they splay outwards on
        looking up (and cave inwards on looking down, of course).

        As a matter of interest, the vertical were very hard to get right on this
        panorama, as there are very few readily identifiable true verticals...
        and mostly on rather remote sculptures.

        Roger W.

        --
        Work: www.adex-japan.com
      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2011
          Roger, you are exactly right. Cylindrical images need a cylindrical
          projection. Most viewers use a gnomic projection assuming that the
          image they are projecting is a spherical image. A cylindrical image
          projected gnomically will have verticals that converge toward the poles.

          If DevalVR does handle cylindrical projections correctly, that would be a
          very good thing for architectural scenes.

          Roger D. Williams wrote:
          > On Tue, 03 May 2011 04:48:15 +0900, Briar <briar_bentley@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Amazing how quickly other peoples' situation goes to the back of our
          >> minds.
          >> The international news no longer concentrates on the efforts of the brave
          >> folk who still battle with the nuclear plants in your country. But thank
          >> goodness you still have somewhere like this to "rest and renew"
          >>

          >> My question, and admiration for your pan is how you manage to set it so
          >> there is no distortion when moving up or down. In most pans a building
          >> will
          >> "bend" towards the centre as you move higher up. In this everything
          >> remains
          >> vertical. How?
          >
          > Thanks for the feedback, Briar. Since I see from a later post that you use
          > DevalVR, as I do, I am not sure what you mean about the "bending" of
          > verticals. I have only ever seen this once with DevalVR, when I used it
          > to view a panorama taken with a rotary camera that generates cylindrical
          > projections by default. If you are taking cylindrical panoramas, then
          > DevalVR will normally default to treating them as spherical projections,
          > and this bends the verticals as you near the top and bottom of the image.
          >
          > I haven't updated DevalVR recently, so it may well be coping properly
          > with cylindrical projections by now. The author kindly provided me with
          > a version that DID handle them properly, but I overwrote it with a later
          > upgrade that lacked this ability and as I no longer generate cylindrical
          > projections I haven't done anything about it.
          >
          > Other than that I can't think what might be responsible for "bending," as
          > the verticals always remain straight even as they splay outwards on
          > looking up (and cave inwards on looking down, of course).
          >
          > As a matter of interest, the vertical were very hard to get right on this
          > panorama, as there are very few readily identifiable true verticals...
          > and mostly on rather remote sculptures.
          >
          > Roger W.

        • Roger D. Williams
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2011
            On Tue, 03 May 2011 12:36:33 +0900, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>
            wrote:

            > Roger, you are exactly right. Cylindrical images need a cylindrical
            > projection. Most viewers use a gnomic projection assuming that the
            > image they are projecting is a spherical image. A cylindrical image
            > projected gnomically will have verticals that converge toward the poles.
            >
            > If DevalVR does handle cylindrical projections correctly, that would be a
            > very good thing for architectural scenes.

            Yes, and there's a fairly easy (though not universally applicable) way
            of differentiating between cylindrical and spherical projections. If
            the image has a width that is exactly double the height, then it is
            usually safe to assume "spherical" and if not, well, not.

            Roger W.

            --
            Work: www.adex-japan.com
          • fierodeval
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2011
              Hi Roger,

              Yes, DevalVR works as you wrote, if the proportion is aproximately 2:1 the projection used is "spherical", if not it uses "cylindrical", this is true in 99% of cases. Maybe the stitching program could add an EXIF code to solve this ambiguity in the JPEG, I don't know.

              Anyway, I added the projection options in the context menu of the player since one year ago, so projection can be changed easily.

              regards!
              fiero