Re: He's (almost) back ;-)

  • Ben Kreunen
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2011
      Thanks Erik

      > ;-) However, the "nodal point" has been retired meanwhile (since it
      > proved to be the name for a very different point). We call it
      > "no-parallax-point" or simply "entrance pupil" now.

      And I thought these young folk were just stuttering ;-)

      > True so far, at least for many cameras. But there are some which
      > actually are almost as good: http://tinyurl.com/43ly5lj
      >
      > But I had to learn that dynamic range isn't everything. While I sticked
      > to scanning negatives and was amazed how large the DR actually is Rik
      > Littlefield made some tests comparing not only DR but also gradation and
      > resolution. His findings are pretty interesting:
      > http://tinyurl.com/2dp2hu

      I agree it's not everything. I've gone digital (thanks to a redundancy payout) and have learnt to live with the limited dynamic range of a single shot. I'm still a little on the outer though because I like to preserve the relationship between brightnesses in a scene and don't like a lot of the excessive tone-mapping that a lot of people do. I have my own tone-mapping method that suits my preferences <http://www.bigben.id.au/photography/simplified-tone-mapping-for-panoramas>

      ... but I still miss the sunny f16 rule :)

      (and no I haven't forgotten... still going through the garage/ old disks for the PTools archive)

      Ben
    • b_dohrmann
      Message 2 of 10 , May 5 9:44 AM
        Hi Ben,

        yes! I also like to say to you "welcome back" !
        It very nice to read your name here on the list again.
        In 19. century you gave me a lot of help and inspirations!

        all the best from Germany
        Bernd

        http://www.360Bilder.de

        Message 3 of 10 , May 5 12:06 PM
          Am 05.05.2011 18:44, schrieb b_dohrmann:
          > yes! I also like to say to you "welcome back" !
          > It very nice to read your name here on the list again.
          > In 19. century you gave me a lot of help and inspirations!

          Most likely in the 20th century. ;-)

          My grandfather was born in the 19th century, he would be 119 years now....

        • Christian Bloch
          Message 4 of 10 , May 5 9:06 PM
            Yay!

            Some cameras actually have amazing DR now, DxO mark has tested some around 14 EVs now. So that's beyond most films and matches what the eye can see in single field of view. And I was just recently reading up on sensor tech again, it will get better fast now. DR is an active battle field.

            Blochi

            Message 5 of 10 , May 6 12:22 AM
              Am 06.05.2011 06:06, schrieb Christian Bloch:
              > DxO mark has tested some around 14 EVs now. So that's beyond most films...

              That's still below what Ben found for a standard color negative film 8
              years ago:
              http://archive.bigben.id.au/tutorials/360/technical/hdri/evaluate.html

              Rik Littlefield found about 15 f-stops even for a cheap consumer film:
              http://tinyurl.com/2dp2hu

            • b_dohrmann
              Message 6 of 10 , May 7 7:27 AM
                upps... yes, 20th ! ... absolutely right.

                cheers
                Bernd