Re: [PanoToolsNG] He's (almost) back ;-)

  • Dorin@dxn.ro
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2011
      Hello Ben,

      There are news about the shooting and display-ing panoramas too,

      Now you cannot present stitched panoramas as a news, OK you may say
      that one shoot (free of stitching blending issues etc) was from long
      time now, now there is also my stitchless method aka live pano.

      More than 10,000 panos on my web site
      www.livepanoramas.com
      Only true images as camera saw at shooting.

      cheers,
      Dorin

      Saturday, April 30, 2011, 3:16:55 AM, you wrote:

      > Hi All

      > Slowly getting back into the saddle and having fun seeing what's
      > new (and what hasn't changed at all).
      > * Jumped from PTGui4 to 8 (and now 9)... awesome as ever.
      > * Adding/optimising control points remains a mystical art
      > * There's a "son-of-IPIX" patent... Have they taken on Google's Street View yet?
      > * The "philopod" remains my favourite nodal point alignment kit.
      > The "base" is still original equipment but I've gone "high-tech" on
      > the middle bits after the string eventually wore out.
      > * Digital cameras still claim to have the same dynamic range as
      > film (and still DON'T).. you'd think that with all of their
      > improvements over the years that they'd exceed the dynamic range by
      > now if their original claims were true ;-)

      > Cheers

      > Ben

      Best regards,
      Dorin mailto:dorin@...
    • Ben Kreunen
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 30, 2011
        Thanks Erik

        > ;-) However, the "nodal point" has been retired meanwhile (since it
        > proved to be the name for a very different point). We call it
        > "no-parallax-point" or simply "entrance pupil" now.

        And I thought these young folk were just stuttering ;-)

        > True so far, at least for many cameras. But there are some which
        > actually are almost as good: http://tinyurl.com/43ly5lj
        >
        > But I had to learn that dynamic range isn't everything. While I sticked
        > to scanning negatives and was amazed how large the DR actually is Rik
        > Littlefield made some tests comparing not only DR but also gradation and
        > resolution. His findings are pretty interesting:
        > http://tinyurl.com/2dp2hu

        I agree it's not everything. I've gone digital (thanks to a redundancy payout) and have learnt to live with the limited dynamic range of a single shot. I'm still a little on the outer though because I like to preserve the relationship between brightnesses in a scene and don't like a lot of the excessive tone-mapping that a lot of people do. I have my own tone-mapping method that suits my preferences <http://www.bigben.id.au/photography/simplified-tone-mapping-for-panoramas>

        ... but I still miss the sunny f16 rule :)

        (and no I haven't forgotten... still going through the garage/ old disks for the PTools archive)

        Ben
      • b_dohrmann
        Message 3 of 10 , May 5, 2011
          Hi Ben,

          yes! I also like to say to you "welcome back" !
          It very nice to read your name here on the list again.
          In 19. century you gave me a lot of help and inspirations!

          all the best from Germany
          Bernd

          http://www.360Bilder.de

          Message 4 of 10 , May 5, 2011
            Am 05.05.2011 18:44, schrieb b_dohrmann:
            > yes! I also like to say to you "welcome back" !
            > It very nice to read your name here on the list again.
            > In 19. century you gave me a lot of help and inspirations!

            Most likely in the 20th century. ;-)

            My grandfather was born in the 19th century, he would be 119 years now....

          • Christian Bloch
            Message 5 of 10 , May 5, 2011
              Yay!

              Some cameras actually have amazing DR now, DxO mark has tested some around 14 EVs now. So that's beyond most films and matches what the eye can see in single field of view. And I was just recently reading up on sensor tech again, it will get better fast now. DR is an active battle field.

              Blochi

              Message 6 of 10 , May 6, 2011
                Am 06.05.2011 06:06, schrieb Christian Bloch:
                > DxO mark has tested some around 14 EVs now. So that's beyond most films...

                That's still below what Ben found for a standard color negative film 8
                years ago:
                http://archive.bigben.id.au/tutorials/360/technical/hdri/evaluate.html

                Rik Littlefield found about 15 f-stops even for a cheap consumer film:
                http://tinyurl.com/2dp2hu

              • b_dohrmann
                Message 7 of 10 , May 7, 2011
                  upps... yes, 20th ! ... absolutely right.

                  cheers
                  Bernd