Need a GPS advise

  • Luca Vascon
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 11, 2006
      I'm looking for a simple one, capable to retrive position where I shot, to
      sinchronize with camera.
      It should be able to download the info on a PC... not to have to copy them
      by hand.
      A navigation one would be useful too...
      Please, tell me yourt experience...
      I'm a Canon 20D user, and the Pda I've with me is my Sony Ericsson P800
      smartphone (symbian 7 UIQ)
      THANX!!!!

      Università Iuav di Venezia

      Dr. Luca Vascon
      tel . (+39) 041.2571262, e-mail Vascon@...

      Laboratorio multimedia Facoltà di Design e Arti, DADI
      Magazzino 7 ex Ligabue, Dorsoduro 1827 30123 Venezia
    • John Brownlow
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 11, 2006
        I am using the Garmin 60CSx.

        It is expensive but wonderful. Nice big, bright screen, controls you
        can use with gloves on, brilliant reception with the Sirf antenna/
        chip, very rugged and waterproof. Uses consumer AA rechargable
        batteries. Has a great car mount.

        I had a Vista Cx before this but I returned it because the reception
        was very poor under tree cover.

        On Dec 11, 2006, at 11:12 AM, Luca Vascon wrote:

        > I'm looking for a simple one, capable to retrive position where I
        > shot, to
        > sinchronize with camera.
        > It should be able to download the info on a PC... not to have to
        > copy them
        > by hand.
        > A navigation one would be useful too...
        > Please, tell me yourt experience...
        > I'm a Canon 20D user, and the Pda I've with me is my Sony Ericsson
        > P800
        > smartphone (symbian 7 UIQ)
        > THANX!!!!

        John Brownlow
        Deep Fried Films, Inc
      • Joost Nieuwenhuijse
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 11, 2006
          Hi Luca,

          Try www.nhgps.com, the website may look familiar..

          Joost

          Luca Vascon wrote:
          > I'm looking for a simple one, capable to retrive position where I shot, to
          > sinchronize with camera.
          > It should be able to download the info on a PC... not to have to copy them
          > by hand.
          > A navigation one would be useful too...
          > Please, tell me yourt experience...
          > I'm a Canon 20D user, and the Pda I've with me is my Sony Ericsson P800
          > smartphone (symbian 7 UIQ)
          > THANX!!!!
        • Luca Vascon
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 11, 2006
            I can't believe....
            .-)

            DO IT LINKS TO PTGUI TOO???
            :-PPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

            > I'm looking for a simple one, capable to retrive position where I shot, to
            > sinchronize with camera.
            > It should be able to download the info on a PC... not to have to copy them
            > by hand.
            > A navigation one would be useful too...
            > Please, tell me yourt experience...
            > I'm a Canon 20D user, and the Pda I've with me is my Sony Ericsson P800
            > smartphone (symbian 7 UIQ)
            > THANX!!!!

          • Keith Davison
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 11, 2006
              > I am using the Garmin 60CSx.

              I can second this, I have Garmin 76CX, which has identical innards to
              the 60C(S)X.

              The sensitivity boost given by the new Sirf Star III chips in these
              units is tremendous. I bought the 76CX when my old Garmin GPSIII+
              died after eight years of abuse, I unpacked the new unit and put
              batteries in and then was totally dumbstruck when it autolocated in
              seconds INSIDE my house. It took me several minutes to convince
              myself that this was not just some sort of simulation.

              The units are also WAAS (US) and EGNOS (europe) compatible,
              and data is stored on microSD cards, so you do not have to keep
              batteries in the units when they are not being used.

              The only thing they don't do is talk to you.

              Keith Davison
            • Keith Davison
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 11, 2006
                > I can second this, I have Garmin 76CX, which has identical innards to
                > the 60C(S)X.

                Oops, forgot to mention that apart from having identical innards, the
                76CX is inexplicably £100 cheaper than the 60CX in the UK.

                Keith Davison
              • John Brownlow
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 11, 2006
                  Ya, the Sirf chips are amazing. Mine will autolocate in the house
                  too. The non-Sirf version had trouble under tree cover even when
                  there were no leaves. I use mine for trail mapping and it does an
                  amazing job.

                  Here's a trail from yesterday, some of it deep in a ravine or under
                  very heavy cover, didn't skip a beat

                  http://tinyurl.com/y9g9yk

                  --
                  John Brownlow
                  Deep Fried Films, Inc
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 11, 2006
                    There is also the Sony GPS tracker. It is tiny and stores GPS info
                    continuously. It comes with software that adds the GPS to your Exif info
                    automatically on a PC (it matches time stamps).
                    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06080202sonygpscs1.asp
                    Dont know if it comes with the new Sirf Star III chips, but the
                    made-for-photography interface is seems convenient.

                    Carel Struycken
                  • Flemming V. Larsen
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 12, 2006
                      From: "Carel"

                      > There is also the Sony GPS tracker. It is tiny and stores GPS info
                      > continuously. It comes with software that adds the GPS to your Exif info
                      > automatically on a PC (it matches time stamps).
                      > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06080202sonygpscs1.asp
                      > Dont know if it comes with the new Sirf Star III chips, but the
                      > made-for-photography interface is seems convenient.

                      Sony runs a campaign for the device here in Denmark
                      http://kortlink.dk/3eux
                      Guess you don't understand Danish ?
                      But the way it works with Sony camera is that it synchronize the photo and
                      the gps info by comparing the date/time.
                      Guess this could be done similar with other GPS and other camera as well
                      with the right software.
                      Maybe an idea for Joost? Or anyone else with programming skills

                      - Flemming
                    • Luca Vascon
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 12, 2006
                        and seems very sony-related!!!
                        :-(((

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 12, 2006
                          :-DDDDDDD

                          Well....
                          THANX to everybody here... Now I know thinks better than before.
                          I got an Holux 240, micro reciver, 20channels, sirf3, cheap on ebay.
                          My P800 will be formatted and ready to use (proudly) Joost's software.
                          The cheapest way, the lightest way (the P800 ia always with me)

                          About p800...
                          mine comes 2nd hand from ebay... was abused, but damn cheap.
                          I spent 120 euros 1,5 years ago.
                          I never repented. I had no PDA before, no smertphone or similar.
                          It resolved ALL PROBLEMS I DIDN'T HAVE BEFORE OWNING ONE!
                          Now I ask myself how I could survive before. TOO HAPPY about it.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 12, 2006
                            Luca Vascon wrote:

                            > and seems very sony-related!!!
                            > :-(((

                            I cant believe they would be THAT stupid?! I assumed it just produces a
                            data-base with timestamp and GPS. That database can then be matched with the
                            EXIF timestamp of the image. I borrowed one during a visit to San Antonio TX
                            two weeks ago and the owner was going to send me the file, so I will find
                            out soon.

                            Carel Struycken