Spot Healing tool in Photoshop Elements 9

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 28, 2011
      Is anyone using the Spot Healing tool in Photoshop Elements 9 to patch the nadir in VR panos?

      This video knocked me out!

      http://www.bmyers.com/public/1944.cfm

      Your thoughts?

      — Peter
    • needakeeper
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 28, 2011
        Do you mean using the spot healing tool as opposed to shooting the nadir?

        Stephani

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <peter@...> wrote:

        > Is anyone using the Spot Healing tool in Photoshop Elements 9 to patch the nadir in VR panos?
        >
        > This video knocked me out!
        >
        > http://www.bmyers.com/public/1944.cfm
        >
        > Your thoughts?
        >
        > — Peter

      • Peter
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 28, 2011
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "needakeeper" <virtualpointphotos@...> wrote:

          > Do you mean using the spot healing tool as opposed to shooting the nadir?
          >
          > Stephani

          No, I mean shooting the nadir and then using this tool to remove the tripod.
        • David
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 28, 2011
            I've been using it and it's quite useful, much better than the older spot healer. It's not so good as some of the demo's show. About half the time it does pretty good, and half the time the result is not so acceptable. In the demo some of the items removed such as cars didn't look so good to me, though maybe still put you in a better position for using other tools to complete the job.

            Whether it works to patch a nadir will depend on the image content at that location. I've mostly been using it just to clean up defects I don't like in macro and stacked images where dust or stray fibers, etc often are a problem. When it works well it's much nicer and faster than the clone tool, and it's a great improvement over the old version. I almost never used the healer before I had the content aware version.

            PSE9 is definitely worth the $50 it costs when you find it on sale in various places. Besides Costco I've seen it for $49 at MacMall several times. I was very pleasantly surprised to see it in PSE9 after I bought it.

            David B

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <peter@...> wrote:

            > Is anyone using the Spot Healing tool in Photoshop Elements 9 to patch the nadir in VR panos?
            >
            > This video knocked me out!
            >
            > http://www.bmyers.com/public/1944.cfm
            >
            > Your thoughts?
            >
            > — Peter

          • needakeeper
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 28, 2011
              I may do it the long way around. I put the stitched image into pano2vr and extract cubes, use a layer and brush in the nadir shot over the cube that contains the tripod and update the cubes in pano2vr then output to equirect.

              Stephani

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <peter@...> wrote:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "needakeeper" <virtualpointphotos@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Do you mean using the spot healing tool as opposed to shooting the nadir?
              > >
              > > Stephani
              >
              > No, I mean shooting the nadir and then using this tool to remove the tripod.

            • Sacha Griffin
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 28, 2011
                PTGUI, or hugin can do all that in seconds with templates.

                This whole process is usually why I take the extra time to physically shoot
                a real nadir image.

                It saves a huge amount of time to stitch perfect images right out of the
                stitcher.. No retouching necessary and you get real image data for the
                nadir.

                Sure you save 2 minutes of shooting time by not shooting a nadir, but you
                save 30 minutes of time in all these remapping steps.

                Sacha Griffin

                <http://www.seeit360.net/> http://www.seeit360.net

                <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

                <http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/> http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/

                IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@...> sachagriffin007@...

                Office: 404-551-4275

                GV: 404-665-9990

                "Peter" <peter@...> wrote:

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
                , "needakeeper" <virtualpointphotos@> wrote:

                > > Do you mean using the spot healing tool as opposed to shooting the
                nadir?

                > > Stephani
                >
                > No, I mean shooting the nadir and then using this tool to remove the
                tripod.

              • needakeeper
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 28, 2011
                  Sorry, I should have been more clear. On my Sigma 8mm, I shoot 4 around titled up about 15°. That eliminates the need for a zenith shot. I tilt back down 15° (now at 90°), pick up the tripod and shoot the nadir. It is crude but effective.

                  When I say, brush in the nadir, I mean the nadir shot (minus the tripod). I drag the nadir shot in over the cube image that contains the tripod and using a layer mask and brush, I paint it in.

                  You are right, it is a lot of work!

                  > PTGUI, or hugin can do all that in seconds with templates.
                  >
                  > This whole process is usually why I take the extra time to physically shoot
                  > a real nadir image.
                  >
                  > It saves a huge amount of time to stitch perfect images right out of the
                  > stitcher.. No retouching necessary and you get real image data for the
                  > nadir.
                  >
                  > Sure you save 2 minutes of shooting time by not shooting a nadir, but you
                  > save 30 minutes of time in all these remapping steps.
                  >

                  > Sacha Griffin
                • Hans
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 28, 2011

                    > PTGUI, or hugin can do all that in seconds with templates.
                    >
                    > This whole process is usually why I take the extra time to physically shoot
                    > a real nadir image.
                    >
                    > It saves a huge amount of time to stitch perfect images right out of the
                    > stitcher.. No retouching necessary and you get real image data for the
                    > nadir.
                    >
                    > Sure you save 2 minutes of shooting time by not shooting a nadir, but you
                    > save 30 minutes of time in all these remapping steps.

                    And if you take the nadir my way you can even do batch stitching with the nadir included.
                    http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/batch-stitching-nadir/

                    The 6 panoramas on this page was just dropped including the nadir on PTGui batchbuilder with a template.
                    No additional photoshop work made.

                    The 7th panorama is just a demo on how the shadow from tripod was taken care of with an additional image.

                    Time for taking the nadir was average 2 min.

                    Hans

                    > Sacha Griffin

                    > <http://www.seeit360.net/> http://www.seeit360.net
                    >
                    > <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
                    >
                    > <http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/> http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/
                    >
                    > IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@...> sachagriffin007@...
                    >
                    > Office: 404-551-4275
                    >
                    > GV: 404-665-9990

                  • Hans
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 28, 2011

                      > PTGUI, or hugin can do all that in seconds with templates.
                      >
                      > This whole process is usually why I take the extra time to physically shoot
                      > a real nadir image.
                      >
                      > It saves a huge amount of time to stitch perfect images right out of the
                      > stitcher.. No retouching necessary and you get real image data for the
                      > nadir.
                      >
                      > Sure you save 2 minutes of shooting time by not shooting a nadir, but you
                      > save 30 minutes of time in all these remapping steps.

                      And if you take the nadir my way you can even do batch stitching with the nadir included.
                      http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/batch-stitching-nadir/

                      The 6 panoramas on this page was just dropped including the nadir on PTGui batchbuilder with a template.
                      No additional photoshop work made.

                      The 7th panorama is just a demo on how the shadow from tripod was taken care of with an additional image.

                      Time for taking the nadir was average 2 min.

                      Hans

                      > Sacha Griffin

                      > <http://www.seeit360.net/> http://www.seeit360.net
                      >
                      > <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
                      >
                      > <http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/> http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/
                      >
                      > IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@...> sachagriffin007@...
                      >
                      > Office: 404-551-4275
                      >
                      > GV: 404-665-9990

                    • needakeeper
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 28, 2011
                        Is batchbuilder in the pro version only?

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > PTGUI, or hugin can do all that in seconds with templates.
                        > >
                        > > This whole process is usually why I take the extra time to physically shoot
                        > > a real nadir image.
                        > >
                        > > It saves a huge amount of time to stitch perfect images right out of the
                        > > stitcher.. No retouching necessary and you get real image data for the
                        > > nadir.
                        > >
                        > > Sure you save 2 minutes of shooting time by not shooting a nadir, but you
                        > > save 30 minutes of time in all these remapping steps.
                        >

                        > And if you take the nadir my way you can even do batch stitching with the nadir included.
                        > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/batch-stitching-nadir/
                        >
                        > The 6 panoramas on this page was just dropped including the nadir on PTGui batchbuilder with a template.
                        > No additional photoshop work made.
                        >
                        > The 7th panorama is just a demo on how the shadow from tripod was taken care of with an additional image.
                        >
                        > Time for taking the nadir was average 2 min.
                        >
                        > Hans
                      • Roger D. Williams
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 28, 2011
                          On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 23:22:26 +0900, Peter <peter@...> wrote:

                          > Is anyone using the Spot Healing tool in Photoshop Elements 9 to patch
                          > the nadir in VR panos?
                          >
                          > This video knocked me out!
                          >
                          > http://www.bmyers.com/public/1944.cfm
                          >
                          > Your thoughts?

                          My own experience with the PhotoShop equivalent is so different that
                          I can hardly believe this is not some kind of trick.

                          Has ANYONE on the list achieved results like this? If so, I'll try
                          again. But I really don't think so.

                          Roger W.

                          --
                          Work: www.adex-japan.com
                        • David
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 29, 2011

                            > Has ANYONE on the list achieved results like this? If so, I'll try
                            > again. But I really don't think so.
                            >
                            > Roger W.

                            Yes, the new 'content aware' healer does pretty much what you saw in the video. In some cases it's quite powerful and impressive as you saw in the video. In other cases it just leaves a bigger (or different) mess to clean up as you also saw in the video (i.e. when some of those cars were removed)

                            Make sure when you try it you have the proper 'content aware' buttons checked or you just get the old healer. Try it on different things, large and small. In some cases I think you'll like it. In others not.
                          • Roger D. Williams
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 30, 2011
                              On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 07:41:40 +0900, David <dburton97128@...> wrote:

                              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
                              > wrote:
                              >>
                              >> Has ANYONE on the list achieved results like this? If so, I'll try
                              >> again. But I really don't think so.
                              >>
                              >> Roger W.
                              >>

                              > Yes, the new 'content aware' healer does pretty much what you saw in the
                              > video. In some cases it's quite powerful and impressive as you saw in
                              > the video. In other cases it just leaves a bigger (or different) mess
                              > to clean up as you also saw in the video (i.e. when some of those cars
                              > were removed)
                              >
                              > Make sure when you try it you have the proper 'content aware' buttons
                              > checked or you just get the old healer. Try it on different things,
                              > large and small. In some cases I think you'll like it. In others not.

                              Thanks, David.

                              I think I preferred the interface on "Elements" to that in PS itself.

                              I am encouraged to try again... My previous experience was almost
                              uniformly disappointing.

                              Roger W.

                              --
                              Work: www.adex-japan.com