Adobe RAW conversion

  • Bostjan Burger
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27 12:08 PM
      I have been
      playing with the stitching with PtGui and GigaPan Stitch. I was considering
      only the speed and not the quality and found that GigaPan is much faster – what
      I expected as it is a simple sticher. I had about 5 Gipx test panorama and the
      only possibility to export it was Adobe RAW. The format was grayscale and I can
      not open it properly with PS. Any ideas how to convert it in an editable
      format?

      Bostjan
    • Roger Howard
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 28 12:39 PM
        On Apr 27, 2011, at 12:08 PM, Bostjan Burger wrote:

        > I have been
        > playing with the stitching with PtGui and GigaPan Stitch. I was considering
        > only the speed and not the quality and found that GigaPan is much faster � what
        > I expected as it is a simple sticher. I had about 5 Gipx test panorama and the
        > only possibility to export it was Adobe RAW. The format was grayscale and I can
        > not open it properly with PS. Any ideas how to convert it in an editable
        > format?

        Just a note to avoid any confusion - this "raw" format is completely different than a "Camera RAW" file (such as is editable in Lightroom or Adobe Camera RAW).

        A "Photoshop Raw" file is basically just a dump of the raw pixel values in the final image from Gigapan - it's like a BMP without any header. This "format" has been in Photoshop for well over a decade. One benefit is it makes no assumptions about maximum dimensions - the only limit is the file size limit of your operating system (and the 300,000 pixels per dimension limit in current Photoshop versions).

        When you open the .raw in Photoshop you'll have to manually set the pixel dimensions (it should guess correctly, but not always), the number of channels (3 for RGB), pixel depth (8bit most likely), and I believe check the "Interleaved" box.

        To upload one of these ".raw" files using Gigapan Uploader you actually have to include the pixel dimensions in the file name, if I recall correctly.

        for instance:

        "panorama_6000x2000.raw"

        -R

      • Bostjan Burger
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 28 11:19 PM
          Roger
          thanks for the reply. I know that I compare strawberries and apples but it is
          interesting that I needed to stitch same set of images (105 mm on 5DMK2) to 360° 5Gpix panorama with PTGui about 20 hours and with Giga stitcher less than an
          hour with the same PC. However PTGui is with much better quality and result is
          fine for printing when with Giga stitcher, the panorama is appropriate only for a Web where most
          people wouldn't see notice the difference.

          Bostjan