Masking out unwanted content (people) in panos (manually)?

  • Robert Lesac
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 27, 2011
      Hi!
      I've recently shot a lot of panos in busy places and I'd like to adjust
      my workflow to make it easier to remove those pesky pedestrians/cars.

      I use a Sigma 10-20mm@10mm on a Nikon D90, 12 shots for a full sphere +
      2 nadir/zenith. Using Hugin + PS.

      The pano I'm currently working on has some 30 photos, with lots of overlap.

      Masking in Hugin is ok for removing the tripod legs/shadows, but is too
      slow for removing lots of unwanted content.

      Currently I'm using (built in) scripts to load remapped images to PS as
      layers, and a script to save the layers back to files. The scripts are
      slow and inefficient, but they work and save me the trouble of doing it
      manually.

      I also tried the Photoshop stacks median filter, but it's slow as hell
      and the results are rubbish.

      I have a tablet pc and masking itself is fast and a joy to use, but the
      interface to sort through all the layers that overlap is cumbersome.
      As I shot more than enough photos, it's easy to miss some layers or
      erase too much.

      I'd love to hear about your workflows as removing "moving" content is a
      regular part of pano making.

      --

      Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: robertlesac.com
    • Robert Lesac
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 27, 2011
        On 27.4.2011. 17:35, Robert Lesac wrote:

        > I use a Sigma #email-removed# on a Nikon D90, 12 shots for a full sphere +
        > 2 nadir/zenith. Using Hugin + PS.

        Lol, that's Sigma 10-20mm at 10mm :)

        --

        Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com
      • Robert Lesac
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 28, 2011
          *bump*

          Is the topic really not interesting to you?

          --

          Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com
        • David
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 28, 2011
            There's a program called PhotoAcute that removes moving items from a set of images (also does resolution enhancement, CA removal and some other things). Some demos they do show it working pretty well. I haven't been satisfied yet myself, but you could take a look and try out their demo.

            David B

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Robert Lesac <robert@...> wrote:

            > Hi!
            > I've recently shot a lot of panos in busy places and I'd like to adjust
            > my workflow to make it easier to remove those pesky pedestrians/cars.
            >
            > I use a Sigma 10-20mm@10mm on a Nikon D90, 12 shots for a full sphere +
            > 2 nadir/zenith. Using Hugin + PS.
            >
            > The pano I'm currently working on has some 30 photos, with lots of overlap.
            >
            > Masking in Hugin is ok for removing the tripod legs/shadows, but is too
            > slow for removing lots of unwanted content.
            >
            > Currently I'm using (built in) scripts to load remapped images to PS as
            > layers, and a script to save the layers back to files. The scripts are
            > slow and inefficient, but they work and save me the trouble of doing it
            > manually.
            >
            > I also tried the Photoshop stacks median filter, but it's slow as hell
            > and the results are rubbish.
            >
            > I have a tablet pc and masking itself is fast and a joy to use, but the
            > interface to sort through all the layers that overlap is cumbersome.
            > As I shot more than enough photos, it's easy to miss some layers or
            > erase too much.
            >
            > I'd love to hear about your workflows as removing "moving" content is a
            > regular part of pano making.
            >

            > --
            >
            > Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: robertlesac.com

          • Rick Drew
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 28, 2011
              PTGui has a great masking feature. Not really "automated" but easy and fast.

              Rick

            • Robert Lesac
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 28, 2011
                On 28.4.2011. 21:40, David wrote:
                > There's a program called PhotoAcute that removes moving items from a set of images (also does resolution enhancement, CA removal and some other things). Some demos they do show it working pretty well. I haven't been satisfied yet myself, but you could take a look and try out their demo.

                I'm not really interested in automatic removal, I need control over the
                process, what I want to remove/retain.

                PS, w/o custom actions/scripts is really slow for that purpose.
                Some kind of animation/rotoscoping tool with onion skin feature would be
                more appropriate, IMO.

                My biggest woe with PS, is that it there is no easy way to check if what
                content you have in other overlapping photos.

                You could just lower the opacity of all layers (you'd need a script for
                that), but then you just get confusion as you can't easily highlight the
                layer you're working on.

                > --- In #email-removed# Robert Lesac<robert@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Hi!
                >> I've recently shot a lot of panos in busy places and I'd like to adjust
                >> my workflow to make it easier to remove those pesky pedestrians/cars.

                --

                Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com
              • Sacha Griffin
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 28, 2011
                  Click the eye next to a layer to make it invisible. You can edit layers
                  underneath this way and see what is going on. You can edit heavily layered
                  crowed shots with masks this way with ease.

                  Not sure if photoshop supports this onion skin feature you mention.

                  Sacha Griffin
                  http://www.seeit360.net
                  http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
                  http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/
                  IM: sachagriffin007@...
                  Office: 404-551-4275
                  GV: 404-665-9990

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 29, 2011
                    On 29.4.2011. 0:18, Sacha Griffin wrote:
                    > Click the eye next to a layer to make it invisible. You can edit layers
                    > underneath this way and see what is going on. You can edit heavily layered
                    > crowed shots with masks this way with ease.

                    :) You're joking, right?
                    With more than 2 overlapping layers it's a headache, and I have up to 10
                    at edges of the photo.

                    > Not sure if photoshop supports this onion skin feature you mention.

                    It's a feature of animation tools, which makes the frames before and
                    after the one you're working semi-transparent. It would be nice to have
                    a similar feature, but for all overlapping layers.

                    --

                    Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com
                  • Ben Kreunen
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 29, 2011
                      I ran a test with PTGui to try out its masking and I love it.

                      http://www.bigben.id.au/image-stitching/ptgui/masking-with-ptgui

                      I shot an extra row to add a little extra at the bottom so there was a lot of overlap. With 3-4 overlapping images where the people are I found the masking much easier in PTGui than struggling with a 12Gb multi-layered PSB.

                      Ben

                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Robert Lesac <robert@...> wrote:

                      > On 29.4.2011. 0:18, Sacha Griffin wrote:
                      > > Click the eye next to a layer to make it invisible. You can edit layers
                      > > underneath this way and see what is going on. You can edit heavily layered
                      > > crowed shots with masks this way with ease.
                      >
                      > :) You're joking, right?
                      > With more than 2 overlapping layers it's a headache, and I have up to 10
                      > at edges of the photo.
                    • Sacha Griffin
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 29, 2011
                        Yes, ptgui masking is the feature of the year, especially when you combine
                        it with the detail viewer to see how it will blend. You can do very complex
                        viewpoint patches this way.

                        Also if you want to do this onion feature, you can simply setup actions to
                        set layers transparent, an action for each layer you have to make the rest
                        transparent.

                        Cheers Ben! Your early work was the stuff that got me hooked!

                        Sacha Griffin

                        <http://www.seeit360.net/> http://www.seeit360.net

                        <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

                        <http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/> http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/

                        IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@...> sachagriffin007@...

                        Office: 404-551-4275

                        GV: 404-665-9990

                        Robert Lesac <robert@...> wrote:

                        > On 29.4.2011. 0:18, Sacha Griffin wrote:
                        > > Click the eye next to a layer to make it invisible. You can edit layers
                        > > underneath this way and see what is going on. You can edit heavily
                        layered
                        > > crowed shots with masks this way with ease.
                        >
                        > :) You're joking, right?
                        > With more than 2 overlapping layers it's a headache, and I have up to 10
                        > at edges of the photo.

                      • Robert Lesac
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 1, 2011
                          On 29.4.2011. 15:48, Sacha Griffin wrote:
                          > Yes, ptgui masking is the feature of the year, especially when you combine
                          > it with the detail viewer to see how it will blend. You can do very complex
                          > viewpoint patches this way.

                          Just tried it, and yeah that's it. Very neat.
                          Though the mask drawing is stuttering if I have the detail window open.
                          I've running it on a 4GHz c2d, and it just seems wrong :|

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 2, 2011
                            Make the detail viewer window smaller until the performance becomes
                            acceptable.