cylindrical to cubic conversion, field of view

  • qorpus
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 27, 2011
      ok so I have a large number(10k+) of cylindrical panorama's I need to
      convert to cubic, which with panotools is rather painless. the problem I
      have is as the width of the original cylindrical panoramas increases so
      does the "missing space" or "black circle" at the top and bottom of the
      generated cubic panorama. What I need to know is based on the original
      size of the panorama, how can I know exactly how large the "black
      circle" is so I can restrict the field of view when they are displayed.
      examplesoriginal 1
      <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib/ptaw_vfm_360pix/20031039.jpg> converted 1
      <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/20031039.jpg>
      original 2 <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib/indie_360pix/9118426.jpg>
      <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/18280605.jpg>
      <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/9118426.jpg> converted 2
      <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/18280605.jpg>
      original 3
      <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib4/ihg_migration_vr/0/32/832/32832797.jpg>
      converted 3 <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/32832797.jpg>
      any help would be greatly appreciated, ive spent the past 24 hours
      trying to guess, but have had very little luck...

    • qorpus
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 27, 2011
      • Hans
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 27, 2011
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "qorpus" <qwertywin@...> wrote:

          > ok so I have a large number(10k+) of cylindrical panorama's I need to
          > convert to cubic, which with panotools is rather painless. the problem I
          > have is as the width of the original cylindrical panoramas increases so
          > does the "missing space" or "black circle" at the top and bottom of the
          > generated cubic panorama. What I need to know is based on the original
          > size of the panorama, how can I know exactly how large the "black
          > circle" is so I can restrict the field of view when they are displayed.
          > examplesoriginal 1
          > <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib/ptaw_vfm_360pix/20031039.jpg> converted 1
          > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/20031039.jpg>
          > original 2 <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib/indie_360pix/9118426.jpg>
          > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/18280605.jpg>
          > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/9118426.jpg> converted 2
          > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/18280605.jpg>
          > original 3
          > <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib4/ihg_migration_vr/0/32/832/32832797.jpg>
          > converted 3 <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/32832797.jpg>
          > any help would be greatly appreciated, ive spent the past 24 hours
          > trying to guess, but have had very little luck...

          The vertical field of view will of course not change because you change the projection.

          Are they all different or what is the problem.
          If they all are for example 110 degree vertical you just restrict the view in your new viewer to that.

          I assume that you have not used hundreds of different lenses.
          Maybe you have 3 different kinds.

          Hans
        • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 27, 2011
            It depends. If the projection you used on your cylindrical is
            equirectangular, then you only need a "regla de tres" (rule of three)
            calculation.

            2011/4/27 qorpus <qwertywin@...>

            > ok so I have a large number(10k+) of cylindrical panorama's I need to
            > convert to cubic, which with panotools is rather painless. the problem I
            > have is as the width of the original cylindrical panoramas increases so
            > does the "missing space" or "black circle" at the top and bottom of the
            > generated cubic panorama. What I need to know is based on the original
            > size of the panorama, how can I know exactly how large the "black
            > circle" is so I can restrict the field of view when they are displayed.
            > examplesoriginal 1
            > <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib/ptaw_vfm_360pix/20031039.jpg> converted 1
            > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/20031039.jpg>
            > original 2 <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib/indie_360pix/9118426.jpg>
            > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/18280605.jpg>
            > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/9118426.jpg> converted 2
            > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/18280605.jpg>
            > original 3
            > <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib4/ihg_migration_vr/0/32/832/32832797.jpg>
            > converted 3 <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/32832797.jpg>
            > any help would be greatly appreciated, ive spent the past 24 hours
            > trying to guess, but have had very little luck...

            L.D.I. Felipe B. Gonz�lez C.
            felipe@...
            1998-5246
            www.fpk.com.mx

          • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 27, 2011
              For example a cylindrical pano with equirectangular projection of
              6000x1500pixels would be calculated:

              1500 (height of cylindrical) x 360 (horizontal degrees) / 6000 (width in
              pixels of original image) = 90 (Vfov)

              Simple

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 27, 2011
                Hi Felipe,

                we are under the assumption they are all equirectangular, could you elaborate on the "rule of three" please.

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, L.D.I. Felipe B. González <felipe@...> wrote:

                > It depends. If the projection you used on your cylindrical is
                > equirectangular, then you only need a "regla de tres" (rule of three)
                > calculation.
                >
                > 2011/4/27 qorpus <qwertywin@...>
                >

                > > ok so I have a large number(10k+) of cylindrical panorama's I need to
                > > convert to cubic, which with panotools is rather painless. the problem I
                > > have is as the width of the original cylindrical panoramas increases so
                > > does the "missing space" or "black circle" at the top and bottom of the
                > > generated cubic panorama. What I need to know is based on the original
                > > size of the panorama, how can I know exactly how large the "black
                > > circle" is so I can restrict the field of view when they are displayed.
                > > examplesoriginal 1
                > > <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib/ptaw_vfm_360pix/20031039.jpg> converted 1
                > > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/20031039.jpg>
                > > original 2 <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib/indie_360pix/9118426.jpg>
                > > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/18280605.jpg>
                > > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/9118426.jpg> converted 2
                > > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/18280605.jpg>
                > > original 3
                > > <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib4/ihg_migration_vr/0/32/832/32832797.jpg>
                > > converted 3 <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/32832797.jpg>
                > > any help would be greatly appreciated, ive spent the past 24 hours
                > > trying to guess, but have had very little luck...

                > L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
                > felipe@...
                > 1998-5246
                > www.fpk.com.mx
                > http://recorridosvirtualesmexico.blogspot.com/
                >
                > Socio Director Maquetas Virtuales www.maquetasvirtuales.com
                > Socio Director Recorridos Virtuales www.recorridosvirtuales.com

              • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 27, 2011
                  In your example 1, 800*360/1820= 158.24�

                  Hope this helps.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 27, 2011
                    Hans,

                    the problem is I need to be able to calculate what to restrict the vertical field of view to once I have converted to a cubic, so people do not see the "black circle", what Felipe has mentioned is fairly effective.

                    As for lenses, I have tens of thousands of these and the only thing I have to work with is the original image size, no other information is available.

                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "qorpus" <qwertywin@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > ok so I have a large number(10k+) of cylindrical panorama's I need to
                    > > convert to cubic, which with panotools is rather painless. the problem I
                    > > have is as the width of the original cylindrical panoramas increases so
                    > > does the "missing space" or "black circle" at the top and bottom of the
                    > > generated cubic panorama. What I need to know is based on the original
                    > > size of the panorama, how can I know exactly how large the "black
                    > > circle" is so I can restrict the field of view when they are displayed.
                    > > examplesoriginal 1
                    > > <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib/ptaw_vfm_360pix/20031039.jpg> converted 1
                    > > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/20031039.jpg>
                    > > original 2 <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib/indie_360pix/9118426.jpg>
                    > > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/18280605.jpg>
                    > > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/9118426.jpg> converted 2
                    > > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/18280605.jpg>
                    > > original 3
                    > > <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib4/ihg_migration_vr/0/32/832/32832797.jpg>
                    > > converted 3 <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/32832797.jpg>
                    > > any help would be greatly appreciated, ive spent the past 24 hours
                    > > trying to guess, but have had very little luck...
                    > >

                    > The vertical field of view will of course not change because you change the projection.
                    >
                    > Are they all different or what is the problem.
                    > If they all are for example 110 degree vertical you just restrict the view in your new viewer to that.
                    >
                    > I assume that you have not used hundreds of different lenses.
                    > Maybe you have 3 different kinds.
                    >
                    > Hans

                  • qorpus
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 27, 2011
                      Felipe,

                      What you've given me should do the trick, the numbers are actually smaller than what im getting from the actual converted, which is good because it will definitely restrict it as needed.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 27, 2011
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "qorpus" <qwertywin@...> wrote:

                        > Hans,
                        >
                        > the problem is I need to be able to calculate what to restrict the vertical field of view to once I have converted to a cubic, so people do not see the "black circle", what Felipe has mentioned is fairly effective.
                        >
                        > As for lenses, I have tens of thousands of these and the only thing I have to work with is >the original image size, no other information is available.

                        I assume you have them in a viewer and there you have the field of view.
                        If it is as Quicktime its easy to detect. If it is as PTViewer you also have the field of view in the parameters.

                        As far as I can see you have maybe used 3 different lenses which just means you need 3 limits to set.
                        How hard can that be.

                        As I assume they are cylindric your view will be the same after conversion to spherical, what ever format you use, Equirectangular , or cubic or strip. It does not matter.

                        You can figure out the field of view in any viewer. If you are on Mac just use Cubic Converter.
                        Pano2VR can do the same.

                        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "qorpus" <qwertywin@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > ok so I have a large number(10k+) of cylindrical panorama's I need to
                        > > > convert to cubic, which with panotools is rather painless. the problem I
                        > > > have is as the width of the original cylindrical panoramas increases so
                        > > > does the "missing space" or "black circle" at the top and bottom of the
                        > > > generated cubic panorama. What I need to know is based on the original
                        > > > size of the panorama, how can I know exactly how large the "black
                        > > > circle" is so I can restrict the field of view when they are displayed.
                        > > > examplesoriginal 1
                        > > > <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib/ptaw_vfm_360pix/20031039.jpg> converted 1
                        > > > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/20031039.jpg>
                        > > > original 2 <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib/indie_360pix/9118426.jpg>
                        > > > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/18280605.jpg>
                        > > > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/9118426.jpg> converted 2
                        > > > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/18280605.jpg>
                        > > > original 3
                        > > > <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib4/ihg_migration_vr/0/32/832/32832797.jpg>
                        > > > converted 3 <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/32832797.jpg>
                        > > > any help would be greatly appreciated, ive spent the past 24 hours
                        > > > trying to guess, but have had very little luck...
                        > > >

                        > > The vertical field of view will of course not change because you change the projection.
                        > >
                        > > Are they all different or what is the problem.
                        > > If they all are for example 110 degree vertical you just restrict the view in your new viewer to that.
                        > >
                        > > I assume that you have not used hundreds of different lenses.
                        > > Maybe you have 3 different kinds.
                        > >
                        > > Hans

                      • Hans
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 27, 2011
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "qorpus" <qwertywin@...> wrote:

                          > Hans,
                          >
                          > the problem is I need to be able to calculate what to restrict the vertical field of view to once I have converted to a cubic, so people do not see the "black circle", what Felipe has mentioned is fairly effective.
                          >
                          > As for lenses, I have tens of thousands of these and the only thing I have to work with is the original image size, no other information is available.

                          Well i checked your panoramas and they are not cylindric at all.
                          They are cropped sphericals so why are you talking about converting them with panotools.

                          You just need to create an action in photoshop and ad black canvas to make the Equirectangular.
                          If they have the same width that is an easy task.

                          Then you need of course to convert them to the cubic type you need for your viewer.

                          To find out the limits just drop the Equirectangular on Pano2VR or Cubic Converter and read out the actual fov without the extra canvas. That took me 20 sec to do.

                          You can not have more than 3-4 different types.

                          > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "qorpus" <qwertywin@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > ok so I have a large number(10k+) of cylindrical panorama's I need to
                          > > > convert to cubic, which with panotools is rather painless. the problem I
                          > > > have is as the width of the original cylindrical panoramas increases so
                          > > > does the "missing space" or "black circle" at the top and bottom of the
                          > > > generated cubic panorama. What I need to know is based on the original
                          > > > size of the panorama, how can I know exactly how large the "black
                          > > > circle" is so I can restrict the field of view when they are displayed.
                          > > > examplesoriginal 1
                          > > > <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib/ptaw_vfm_360pix/20031039.jpg> converted 1
                          > > > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/20031039.jpg>
                          > > > original 2 <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib/indie_360pix/9118426.jpg>
                          > > > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/18280605.jpg>
                          > > > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/9118426.jpg> converted 2
                          > > > <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/18280605.jpg>
                          > > > original 3
                          > > > <http://www.vfmii.com/medlib4/ihg_migration_vr/0/32/832/32832797.jpg>
                          > > > converted 3 <http://vfmii.com/medlib/finished/32832797.jpg>
                          > > > any help would be greatly appreciated, ive spent the past 24 hours
                          > > > trying to guess, but have had very little luck...
                          > > >

                          > > The vertical field of view will of course not change because you change the projection.
                          > >
                          > > Are they all different or what is the problem.
                          > > If they all are for example 110 degree vertical you just restrict the view in your new viewer to that.
                          > >
                          > > I assume that you have not used hundreds of different lenses.
                          > > Maybe you have 3 different kinds.
                          > >
                          > > Hans

                        • qorpus
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 27, 2011
                            Hans,
                            Your condescending remarks aside, what I have done so far and what Felipe suggested to give me the maximum field of view work perfectly.

                            Use those tools to work out the maximum vertical field of view would be completely pointless as it would take weeks to run through them, besides the fact that the calculation given by Felipe gives me exactly what I need.

                            One good point you do have is that they may not be cylindrical, I am running off what I have been told and how these have been treated the last 10 years, we have always treated these panorama's as equirectangular and displayed them in our viewers as cylindrical. Given this I wonder why I see no invalid distortion when I convert them.

                            The conversion process I use is:

                            from Perl Panotools::Script :

                            erect2cubic --erect=<file.tif> --ptofile=cubic.pto

                            then:

                            PTmender -o output cubic.pto

                            which I then stitch together the resulting 6 images with imagemagick, which gives me exactly what I need, so I don't see a problem? am I missing something?