Micro animations

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 25 5:14 AM
      http://www.fastcodesign.com/1663683/far-better-than-3-d-animated-gifs-that-savor-a-passing-moment

      these people make interesting kinds of sometimes almost subliminally animated photographs of street scenes -- anyone have panoramas like this? Ive been thinking of doing some night scenes with subtle animations of "pulsing" street lights

      PeterM
    • Mark D. Fink
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 25 5:32 AM
        Really nicely done. I like the subtle quality of the motion. I've seen
        motion in VR's before, but was always intimidated by what looked like a lot
        of coding far above my head. Can something like this be done in VR without
        being a wizard?

        Mark

        www.northernlight.net
        www.virtual-travels.com
        www.pinnacle-vr.com

      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 25 8:18 AM
          Sometime around 25/4/11 (at 08:32 -0400) Mark D. Fink said:

          >Can something like this be done in VR without being a wizard?

          Lovely stuff. Also somewhat weird. My favourite from those examples
          is the guy reading the paper. (The first one loops far too frequently
          for my liking.)

          It is interesting that they're done as GIFs; I'd be worried that the
          256-colour palette limitation might sometimes be an issue. It could
          be done just as effectively as video. But I guess part of the point
          was using that format.

          Anyway, yes: achieving this in a panorama just requires creating a
          video or animation loop that can be fitted into the photographic
          scene, probably using an alpha channel. This has been done before,
          but it is definitely not common. I'm fairly sure both KRPano and
          Flash Panorama Player can do this. Pano2VR might be able to, but I'm
          less certain.

          A certain amount of wizardry would be needed to produce the video
          with alpha, but the biggest challenge would (IMO) be creating a
          believable, "drop in-able" animation in the first place. Shooting a
          video clip from the pano head location would be my first move.

        • Sodhi.K.S
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 25 10:41 AM
            Hi,
            This is just beautiful . I liked it verymuch. Would love to try my hand at it
            soon. Any info on how to go about it would be very much appreciated.
            Thanks
            Warm Regards,
            Sodhi.KS

            Hotels & Industrial Photographer
            www.sodhisphotography.com
            Regular, Panaromas, 360deg & Virtual

            With us Photography is a Passion !

            Mob : 09891151165
                       09971299822

            ________________________________
            these people make interesting kinds of sometimes almost subliminally animated
            photographs of street scenes -- anyone have panoramas like this? Ive been
            thinking of doing some night scenes with subtle animations of "pulsing" street
            lights

            PeterM

          • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 25 10:43 AM
              Hi Mark!

              2011/4/25 Mark D. Fink <markdfink@...>

              > Can something like this be done in VR without
              >
              > being a wizard?

              If you know how to insert flash hotspots, it can be easily done:
              http://www.recorridosvirtuales.com/2011/2011.html
              --
              L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
              felipe@...

            • Mark D. Fink
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 25 10:48 AM
                Cool! No experience at all with Flash here. I rely on 360Cities for all of
                my VR publishing. Time to roll up my sleeves and experiment?

                Mark

                www.northernlight.net
                www.virtual-travels.com
                www.pinnacle-vr.com

              • dorindxn
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 25 10:49 AM
                  Hi Peter, 4 years ago I made this pano
                  http://livepanoramas.dyndns.org/dorin/dxn_pano/night3/qt/pano.html
                  works inly in DevalVR and not in QuickTime.

                  cheers,
                  Dorin
                  www.livepanoramas.com

                  > http://www.fastcodesign.com/1663683/far-better-than-3-d-animated-gifs-that-savor-a-passing-moment
                  >
                  > these people make interesting kinds of sometimes almost subliminally animated photographs of street scenes -- anyone have panoramas like this? Ive been thinking of doing some night scenes with subtle animations of "pulsing" street lights
                  >
                  > PeterM

                • Christian Bloch
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 25 11:32 AM
                    Yes, I have just recently experimented with subtle motion inserts. Shot an extra video loop with a second camera, from the same angle. Turned out so subtle that you may not even recognize it....

                    http://www.hdrlabs.com/gallery/flashpanos_experiments/pano2.html?HarrySmithC

                    Hint: check out the window on the left.

                    What I learned from this experiment was that
                    A) Motion shouldn't be toooo subtle.
                    B) Compared to the rest of the pano even HD is a crappy resolution (and much softer), so wide-angle lenses don't always cut it.
                    C) Best way to prepare these is to create an alpha mask in After Effects, and render directly to an FLV file. That's way the movie can have an irregular cutout or soft blend with the rest of the pano...

                    .Blochi

                    On Apr 25, 2011, at 5:14 AM, panovrx wrote:

                    > http://www.fastcodesign.com/1663683/far-better-than-3-d-animated-gifs-that-savor-a-passing-moment
                    >
                    > these people make interesting kinds of sometimes almost subliminally animated photographs of street scenes -- anyone have panoramas like this? Ive been thinking of doing some night scenes with subtle animations of "pulsing" street lights
                    >
                    > PeterM

                  • L.D.I. Felipe B. González
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 25 11:38 AM
                      Nice example Christian!

                      Too subtle, indeed.

                      --
                      L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
                      felipe@...

                    • pedro_silva58
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 25 11:48 AM
                        greetings!

                        > C) Best way to prepare these is to create an alpha mask in After Effects, and render directly to an FLV file. That's way the movie can have an irregular cutout or soft blend with the rest of the pano...

                        could you point us towards any sort of tutorial on this, for ae-challenged people, like me? or perhaps give a few more details?

                        tia and cheers,
                        pedro
                      • panovrx
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 25 12:32 PM
                          there are more, related ones, here
                          http://iwdrm.tumblr.com/
                          where the creator uses cunningly chosen frames to loop from movies
                          .. these creepy people that come to life might work in panoramas

                          There is research on how to choose frames automatically for natural looking looping animations ("video textures") of natural phenomena
                          http://www.cc.gatech.edu/cpl/projects/videotexture/

                          PeterM

                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "pedro_silva58" <pedro_silva58@...> wrote:

                          > greetings!
                          >
                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Christian Bloch <Blochi@> wrote:
                          > > C) Best way to prepare these is to create an alpha mask in After Effects, and render directly to an FLV file. That's way the movie can have an irregular cutout or soft blend with the rest of the pano...
                          >
                          > could you point us towards any sort of tutorial on this, for ae-challenged people, like me? or perhaps give a few more details?
                          >
                          > tia and cheers,
                          > pedro

                        • Christian Bloch
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 25 2:48 PM
                            > could you point us towards any sort of tutorial on this, for ae-challenged people, like me? or perhaps give a few more details?

                            Not sure what part you mean. Drawing a mask or rendering the FLV?
                            Essentially, you'd just use the pen tool to draw a mask around the part that moves (it's the same like drawing paths in Photoshop). Everything outside will be transparent. And when you render that, you set the output format to FLV, with Alpha embedded.

                            In general, www.videocopilot.net is a good tutorial site for all things After Effects.

                          • Roger D. Williams
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 25 7:25 PM
                              On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 04:32:16 +0900, panovrx <panovrx@...> wrote:

                              > there are more, related ones, here
                              > http://iwdrm.tumblr.com/
                              > where the creator uses cunningly chosen frames to loop from movies
                              > .. these creepy people that come to life might work in panoramas
                              >
                              > There is research on how to choose frames automatically for natural
                              > looking looping animations ("video textures") of natural phenomena
                              > http://www.cc.gatech.edu/cpl/projects/videotexture/

                              Thanks for the link, Peter. A lot of fun. Fascinating!

                              Roger W.

                              --
                              Work: www.adex-japan.com
                            • pedro_silva58
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 26 1:29 AM
                                > > could you point us towards any sort of tutorial on this, for ae-challenged people, like me? or perhaps give a few more details?
                                >
                                > Not sure what part you mean. Drawing a mask or rendering the FLV?
                                > Essentially, you'd just use the pen tool to draw a mask around the part that moves (it's the same like drawing paths in Photoshop). Everything outside will be transparent. And when you render that, you set the output format to FLV, with Alpha embedded.
                                >
                                > In general, www.videocopilot.net is a good tutorial site for all things After Effects.

                                that helps, thanx!
                                cheers,
                                pedro
                              • jan.vrsinsky
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 26 2:04 AM
                                  Amazing animations! I love it!

                                  It would be great to be able to have this in a pano. I was a co-author of a computer PC game back in 1998 and it used panorama-like viewer of pre-rendered 3D scenes and we used animated sprites to add torches on walls or running water in the scene. I'm imagining that something like this could be easily added to today's technology panoramas. After all, some of the cameras we all use to capture panos can record video so imagine some scene where objects don't move from a photo to photo - otherwise the stitching would be impossible - and you just capture the pano the way you are used to except it's a video for each shot and some miraculous technology stitches your video into a pano-video. Krpano can easily play video these days (flash video youtube-like format) so the viewing technology is not the limitation. It's the stitching that might be a bit difficult. The shooting remains virtually the same. And of course this could be used only in certain types of settings/scenes.

                                  I would love to see links of this being tested and if somebody is planning to try it please let me know - I'd like to help if I can.

                                  Jan
                                  --
                                  janvrsinsky.com / twitter @janvrsinsky / 360cities.net/profile/jan-vrsinsky
                                • tom_a_sparks
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 28 3:06 AM
                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "jan.vrsinsky" <jan.vrsinsky@...> wrote:

                                    > Amazing animations! I love it!
                                    >
                                    > It would be great to be able to have this in a pano. I was a co-author of a computer PC game back in 1998 and it used panorama-like viewer of pre-rendered 3D scenes and we used animated sprites to add torches on walls or running water in the scene. I'm imagining that something like this could be easily added to today's technology panoramas. After all, some of the cameras we all use to capture panos can record video so imagine some scene where objects don't move from a photo to photo - otherwise the stitching would be impossible - and you just capture the pano the way you are used to except it's a video for each shot and some miraculous technology stitches your video into a pano-video. Krpano can easily play video these days (flash video youtube-like format) so the viewing technology is not the limitation. It's the stitching that might be a bit difficult. The shooting remains virtually the same. And of course this could be used only in certain types of settings/scenes.
                                    >
                                    > I would love to see links of this being tested and if somebody is planning to try it please let me know - I'd like to help if I can.
                                    >
                                    > Jan

                                    In the The Making of Myst III: Exile ( http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8812843433125806972 ) they talk about a program they used to blend video into a 360VR world

                                    tom
                                  • Trausti Hraunfjord
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 30 6:07 AM
                                      FPP is the only Flash panorama player that supports animated gif images as
                                      far as I know... please correct me if I am wrong. If one has the image
                                      available, one can place it using the FPP editor, or for maximum ease of
                                      insertion, use Flashificator, drag and drop the image into place. Done in
                                      seconds. Or use an animated swf or a flv video, also dragged and dropped
                                      and placed with a few mouse movements.

                                      Trausti

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 30 3:19 PM
                                        Am 30.04.2011 15:07, schrieb Trausti Hraunfjord:
                                        > FPP is the only Flash panorama player that supports animated gif images as
                                        > far as I know... please correct me if I am wrong.

                                        krpano supports them as well. Search for "Animated GIF" on
                                        http://www.krpano.com/docu/xml/

                                      • Trausti Hraunfjord
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 30 3:50 PM
                                          Thanks, but that is for the KRP webkit ("html5") viewer, an alternative to
                                          using an animated swf (which won't work on iDevices). So I think it still
                                          holds true, that FPP is the only flash based panorama player that supports
                                          the use of animated gifs.

                                          But again... if I am wrong it should of course be pointed out, so that I
                                          won't be claiming something that isn't true.

                                          Trausti

                                          On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

                                          > Am 30.04.2011 15:07, schrieb Trausti Hraunfjord:
                                          > > FPP is the only Flash panorama player that supports animated gif images
                                          > as
                                          > > far as I know... please correct me if I am wrong.
                                          >
                                          > krpano supports them as well. Search for "Animated GIF" on
                                          > http://www.krpano.com/docu/xml/
                                          >
                                          > --
                                          > Erik Krause
                                          > http://www.erik-krause.de

                                        • Christian Bloch
                                          Message 20 of 20 , May 1, 2011
                                            That's fascinating.

                                            Game technologie is actually making a round trip with all this VR stuff in movie production now. In fact, I have a few other semi-interactive VR pieces, derived from panos and video inserts.

                                            With semi-interactive I mean, it's not prepared for the web but rather for an on-stage live recording. Sort of like the virtual set in a weather studio: a gyro sits on the camera, and a secondary webcam is looking at tracking marks. Focus and zoom have snap-on sensors, as well. All that is realtime connected to a box with the VR engine running. It can deal with 4 HD video streams, and that can even be cut up and cloned in the 3d world. In one extreme case I had production shoot 20 audience members, then make 400 out of them, in a giant gladiator arena. The show just aired last week, so I guess it's not a secret anymore... already showed up on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyPJp65jwTQ

                                            Blochi